What is ReWire?
ReWire is a system for transferring audio data between two computer applications, in real time. Basically, you could view ReWire as an "invisible cable" that streams audio from one computer program into another.
So, what can ReWire do?
ReWire has the following features:
- Real-time streaming of up to 256 individual audio channels (up to 64 with ReWire 1) from one application to another.
- Real-time streaming of up to 4080 individual MIDI channels from one application to another (255 MIDI buses with 16 channel per bus). This feature requires ReWire 2.
- High-precision synchronization - complete, glitch-free sync between the two applications, with no settings to make and no parameters to worry about.
- Common transport functions - if both applications have built-in sequencers of some sort, you can play, stop, rewind etc. in any of the applications and they will both locate to the same position.
- Additional querying - one application can "ask" the other about audio channel names, etc. This feature requires ReWire 2.
Great! So how do I use it?
For information on how to set up ReWire in your host application, please see our ReWire Help Pages.
A large number of music software applications supports ReWire. Below is a list of software manufacturers that are currently offering ReWire-supporting products. Clicking a name in the list takes you to that manufacturer's web site, where you can find out more about how ReWire is implemented in their products.