ReWire Tutorial Article Digital Performer - Step 2: Routing Audio
Reason has 64 ReWire channels, selectable as either stereo or mono channels - that means you can use up to 64 separate audio channels from Reason. For now, let's activate the first channels. These correspond to the main stereo out in Reason.
1. In DP, make sure you have the Tracks window up on screen.
2. Create a stereo audio track.
3. Pull down the Input menu for a track and select New Stereo Bundle -> Reason:Mix L 1-Mix R 2 (see image).
4. Make sure you have set an Output channel for the track, then activate the Input Monitor Button for the track.
5. Try playing back some sound in Reason.
An easy way to do this at this point is to play a drum pattern from a Redrum device (the more advanced option, playing devices via MIDI, is described in Step 3). When the Redrum is playing you should see the level meters move for the ReWire channel in Digital Performer's mixer, and you should hear the sound from the outputs.
If this all works, you have sucessfully set up a basic ReWire connection! This setup for example allows you to have Reason play a background track while you record vocals or other audio tracks in DP.
But ReWire isn't only about audio. We can also use Digital Performer's MIDI capabilities to control Reason's devices, just like you would do with a hardware synth. If you want to know how to transmit MIDI from DP to Reason – proceed to the next step!
Step 3: Routing MIDI