ReWire Tutorial Article Live - Step 3: Routing MIDI
Via ReWire you are not limited to transmitting only audio from Reason to Live, you can also send MIDI from Live to Reason. This way you can control everything from Live - in effect, Reason becomes a rack of devices that you play from the Rewire host! Or, if you like, you can have Reason's sequencer play some of the devices and the sequencer in Live play some - it's up to you.
1. In Reason, create the device you want to play.
2. From the Insert menu in Live, create a MIDI Track.
3. In the "MIDI To" section on the MIDI track we created, select "Reason" from the first drop down menu.
4. Open the drop down right below. You will find that all current devices in the Reason rack are listed as MIDI outputs.
5. Select the Reason device you created in step 1.
The MIDI track is now routed to the correct device in Reason. If you enter some MIDI notes on the track and hit play, you will hear them being played by this Reason instrument. This works just as if each Reason device was a stand-alone hardware MIDI sound module.
You can also play Reason instruments "live" this way: In Live, activate MIDI input for the track and play your MIDI keyboard or controller. The MIDI data will be passed on to the selected Reason device.
Step 4: Using Multiple ReWire Channels