Posted May 22, 2018, 8 a.m.
Reason 10 is known for its robust collection of synthesizers, drum machines, and loops—but it also offers a powerful toolset for vocal production. With advanced features like time and pitch-correction, step sequencing, and a built-in sampler, Reason 10 offers a full-fledged vocal production suite. In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to record vocals in Reason 10.
Vocals are arguably the most important part of any song, which is why Reason 10 was designed to make recording vocals quick and easy. Watch this video tutorial with Stefan Guy to learn how to:
- Connect an audio interface and easily route mic signals
- Properly set sample rate and buffer size for minimal latency
- Create a well-balanced headphone mix
- Accurately set microphone levels
- Monitor levels on multiple channels using advanced metering
- Use the precount function to improve your workflow
- Create the perfect take using the comping feature
And that’s only the beginning—with Reason 10 you can adjust the time and pitch of your track after you record using advanced editing features like Pitch Edit and Time Stretch. You can even mix and master your vocal recordings in Reason 10 with acclaimed signal processors modeled after classic British consoles.
Now that you know how to record vocals in Reason 10, it’s time to start singing!
Start your free trial of Reason 10 today!
Posted March 28, 2018, 2:15 p.m.
When you think about great songwriters, who comes to mind? Paul Simon, Max Martin, Björk or maybe Deadmau5? Our recent blog posts have focused on using different tools and effects in Reason 10, but today we’re going to cover the most essential process of all—how to write a song.
Technology has fundamentally changed the way that millions of musicians approach writing songs, and Reason 10 is packed with tools and features that allow you harness your creativity and craft original and compelling tracks. We’ve put together a couple of fast and engaging videos that break down the fundamentals behind creating hooks and melodies, so you can learn how to write a song in Reason 10.
How To Write Melodies: Super Neat Beat Cheat Sheet
Check out this video for a simple, easy-to-follow tutorial that explains the fundamentals behind creating melodies in Reason 10. You’ll see how to use Reason 10’s Scales and Chords Player to develop a systematic approach to melody writing—without wading through complex music theory.
- Learn how to record single notes to generate complex chord progressions
- See how to add interest, movement, and complexity to your musical phrases
- Discover how to create unique melodies using the notes in your chords
Making Catchy Hooks in Your Songs
In this video, you’ll learn the key difference between hooks and melodies, and what makes catchy songs—catchy. You’ll also discover how Reason 10 makes it easy to craft vocal and instrumental hooks that stick in your listeners’ heads long after the track stops playing.
- Learn about 4 essential hook techniques, and how to use them in Reason 10
- Discover how to effectively layer melodies and hooks in your song arrangements
- See how to apply punctuation to your melodies to make them more memorable
Now that you’ve learned how to make a song in Reason 10, start your free trial of Reason 10 today and start working on your next masterpiece!
Posted Feb. 24, 2018, 1:03 p.m.
We rely on our favorite go-to instruments to capture new ideas as they're forming. We know those instruments well and they help us act quickly to grab that inspiration before it's gone. But what happens if we don't have any ideas cooking yet? Sometimes those favorites are so familiar that we fall into routines and habits that makes sparking new ideas harder for us. The solution is to try entirely new instruments and effects to see how getting out of our comfort zone can create a fresh approach to music making.
In this tutorial, Ryan does just that by building a new idea using instruments new to him. The quick inspiring workflow of Reason remains but the sounds and instruments are coming courtesy of Native Instrument's Komplete Select.
Start making your own musical ideas with Reason's free 30 day trial!
Posted Feb. 6, 2018, 1:02 p.m.
We have teamed up with Positive Grid, one of the world's leading developers of professional digital audio software and hardware, to bring you the Reason 10 + BIAS AMP 2 giveaway!
BIAS AMP 2 is packed with great features, including new dynamic tone engine, new Preamp Power Amp, New User interface, Improved Amp Match technology, Celestion IRs and much more.
Share your favorite BIAS AMP 2 feature and you can be the winner of:
1st Prize: 1 BIAS Amp 2 Pro License + Propellerhead Reason 10 License
2nd Prize: 1 BIAS Amp 2 STD License + Propellerhead Reason 10 License
3rd Prize: 1 BIAS Amp 2 STD License
Enter by February 19 for your chance to win!
- Contest starts on February 5th at 12:00 AM PST and ends on - February 19th 2018 at 11:59 PM PST. Winners will be randomly selected and announced on February 20th 2018 at 10:00 AM PST.
- Contest available for fans Worldwide. No country restrictions.
- Users can participate all the times they want.
- Users will be automatically subscribed to the Positive Grid and Propellerhead Newsletters.
- 3 winners will be randomly selected on February 20th, 2018
Posted Aug. 24, 2017, 9:42 a.m.
Recording acoustic guitar can bring life and natural character to your songs but getting them to fit into your mix begins at the recording phase. So we're taking a deep dive into tried and true techniques for acoustic guitar recording that will suit the style of song you're recording it for.
Try Reason free for 30 days!