Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Using Reason 4 with Pro Tools (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=102362)

audiophiler 2008-02-12 06:55

Using Reason 4 with Pro Tools

Ok, guys here's my problem. Can someone please help me? I just got Reason 4 and trying to use it with Pro Tools. I turned on PT first and then Reason to rewire Reason as the slave.

Now what am I suppose to do next? From what I read form the other posts....sounds like I have to make an Instrument track in PT and then choose "Reason" as the Instrument in the Inputs. After I did that I went back to Reason and picked a drum patch through the Redrum. When I play my keyboard (axiom 49) I get the sounds playing and I see the levels going up in the Pro Tools track. However when I playback....I hear nothing and don't see the levels going up.

I have Reason setup so that the audio goes out through my Mbox2. Is this a problem when I'm in Rewire mode? What am I doing wrong? I also tried setting up anther audio track in PT and sent output to bus 1 on the Instrument track with Reason and then set the input in the Audio Track at Bus1 as well. Then I got audio recorded on the audio track but when I playback again no sound.

Anyone kind enough to walk me through this? I basically want to use the sounds in Reason to record in Pro Tools.

musicdan 2008-02-12 17:22

Re: Using Reason 4 with Pro Tools

: Ok, guys here's my problem. Can someone please help me? I just got Reason 4 and trying to use it with Pro Tools. I turned on PT first and then Reason to rewire Reason as the slave.
:
: Now what am I suppose to do next? From what I read form the other posts....sounds like I have to make an Instrument track in PT and then choose "Reason" as the Instrument in the Inputs. After I did that I went back to Reason and picked a drum patch through the Redrum. When I play my keyboard (axiom 49) I get the sounds playing and I see the levels going up in the Pro Tools track. However when I playback....I hear nothing and don't see the levels going up.
:
: I have Reason setup so that the audio goes out through my Mbox2. Is this a problem when I'm in Rewire mode? What am I doing wrong? I also tried setting up anther audio track in PT and sent output to bus 1 on the Instrument track with Reason and then set the input in the Audio Track at Bus1 as well. Then I got audio recorded on the audio track but when I playback again no sound.
:
: Anyone kind enough to walk me through this? I basically want to use the sounds in Reason to record in Pro Tools.

hi mate i had a similer problem but in cubase 4 what i do is if im using rebrum or rex as the main part to my tune i found it best to pation to track in reason it wont appier in the host track but it will still rec the beats when u mix down so basickly use reason for the beats and P.T for vst and auido clips.it works well for me hopes this helps a bit

tonetripper 2008-02-12 17:29

Have you gone into the Advanced menu in Preferences to select a control surface that uses the MBox as it's Midi host?

I figured that one out today. The manual did not seem to be clear about it. If you select that as your controller it may solve the problem.

If it's already been done then I'm not sure what course and my advice may be useless.

tonetripper 2008-02-12 17:31

Basically your Axiom or whatever your keyboard is is your controller. You'll find a generic listing of the controller companies in the drop down menu. It's a bit confusing since the controller is rolling through your A-D.

douzanis 2008-02-12 17:39

: Ok, guys here's my problem. Can someone please help me? I just got Reason 4 and trying to use it with Pro Tools. I turned on PT first and then Reason to rewire Reason as the slave.
:
: Now what am I suppose to do next? From what I read form the other posts....sounds like I have to make an Instrument track in PT and then choose "Reason" as the Instrument in the Inputs. After I did that I went back to Reason and picked a drum patch through the Redrum. When I play my keyboard (axiom 49) I get the sounds playing and I see the levels going up in the Pro Tools track. However when I playback....I hear nothing and don't see the levels going up.
:
: I have Reason setup so that the audio goes out through my Mbox2. Is this a problem when I'm in Rewire mode? What am I doing wrong? I also tried setting up anther audio track in PT and sent output to bus 1 on the Instrument track with Reason and then set the input in the Audio Track at Bus1 as well. Then I got audio recorded on the audio track but when I playback again no sound.
:
: Anyone kind enough to walk me through this? I basically want to use the sounds in Reason to record in Pro Tools.

You don't need to open Reason manually, when you select it as a instrument, Reason automatically opens in rewire. When it opens in PT's the out puts will default to I think Left and right, if you set it up as a stereo track, which you should have done. If your not getting sound, flip the Reason rack around andmake sure it is wired correctly. The digidesign site has a good tutorial on rewiring to reason.

tonetripper 2008-02-12 17:45

I think it's a controller issue in Reason in the preferences. it would seem that it may not be selected. I nearly pulled my hair out over that silly problem within reason not recording but giving audio through the monitor input/output. Once I selected it I was able to record and see notes.

audiophiler 2008-02-12 21:10

Hey guys thanks so much for all your help. It really means a lot to me. I'm gonna go try all the stuff you guys wrote and see what happens. So do I just have to use an instrument track in PT with "Reason" as the input when I'm ready to record? Or do I need to use a combination of tracks i.e. MIDI, Aux, or Audio?

Plasma 2008-02-14 04:15

: Hey guys thanks so much for all your help. It really means a lot to me. I'm gonna go try all the stuff you guys wrote and see what happens. So do I just have to use an instrument track in PT with "Reason" as the input when I'm ready to record? Or do I need to use a combination of tracks i.e. MIDI, Aux, or Audio?

Hey,
When you open rewire make sure your outputs are selected. You know that little box that opens up first before Reason. Says Rewire. It sometimes fails to select outputs for you. If you go to the Protools site, they have instruction videos on how to set up Reason in rewire. Hope that helps you out some.