Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Have the sequencer tracks follow the devices (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=102618)

Reason1O1 2008-02-25 17:51

Have the sequencer tracks follow the devices

This may have been asked for already, but it would be nice to have a simple user setting that allows the sequencer tracks follow the order of the rack devices. Right now there's no connection between the two, and when you create a new device it gets placed below whichever track has focus in the sequencer. But a user preference that you can turn on and off would be nice. If off, allow the sequencer to be disconnected from the rack (as it is now). With this option turned on, have the sequencer follow the order of the rack. Any new devices created at the bottom of the rack, would have it's track placed at the bottom of the sequencer.

Of course, you should still be able to move the devices and tracks around as you wish later. This should only affect when they are initially created.

Perhaps a correlary option could be available in which moving a device in the rack also moves the sequencer track to the corresponding destination would be nice too. So if you move a device to the top of the rack (for example), the sequencer track also moves to that location.

Also, a user preference to have a new note lane created below previous lanes instead of above the previous lane might be nice too. But this one is minor in my book.

What do you think?
Rob
let's make reason even better!

EditEd4TV 2008-02-27 16:44

Re: Have the sequencer tracks follow the devices

http://baumanproductions.com/pichost...andingTiny.jpg
Every now and then I help friends out with their Reason songs, and something like this would help in a big way. These songs I get... dang... no wonder people get confused when they use Reason... they are visually confusing themselves with rack clutter, devices scattered everywhere, no logic or flow to any of it.

I like your ideas, which would work with an idea I had a few years ago; rearranging mixer channel location. It would be nice to be able to move channel strips in the mixer. You could grab them in front where the word "AUX" is at the top of the strip per channel, on in back where the number of the channel is located.

Perhaps the Props could offer a new mode called "Organize" where you can do these three things:

1) Move the mixer channel which in turn...

2) Moves the rack location, which in turn...

3) Moves the sequencer track location.

The logic would break apart though where things get messy like running a Thor output to a spider audio which branches off to a Scream and an RV7000, etc... how would Reason know to move them together? This may have to be done manually, but the primary devices could fall under the logic I suppose. Maybe a simple signal flow investigation to decipher the signal path and consider those devices as "together" so that moving one will move the others when in "Organize" mode.
Understanding Thor DVD

platypus05 2008-02-27 16:59

I suggested this in 06, I would love if there was some sort of inheritance like structure to the sequencer devices, and when you have like 20 sequencer lanes and you create a new device, sometimes it takes like 30 seconds to find it in the sequencer, plus I like to try and create a mix sometimes with 2-3 tracks, this is very hard without some sort of structure being applied, it would be alot easier if Reason would automatically do that for me!

Reason1O1 2008-02-27 18:03

: Every now and then I help friends out with their Reason songs, and something like this would help in a big way. These songs I get... dang... no wonder people get confused when they use Reason... they are visually confusing themselves with rack clutter, devices scattered everywhere, no logic or flow to any of it.
:
: I like your ideas, which would work with an idea I had a few years ago; rearranging mixer channel location. It would be nice to be able to move channel strips in the mixer. You could grab them in front where the word "AUX" is at the top of the strip per channel, on in back where the number of the channel is located.
:
: Perhaps the Props could offer a new mode called "Organize" where you can do these three things:
:
: 1) Move the mixer channel which in turn...
:
: 2) Moves the rack location, which in turn...
:
: 3) Moves the sequencer track location.
:
: The logic would break apart though where things get messy like running a Thor output to a spider audio which branches off to a Scream and an RV7000, etc... how would Reason know to move them together? This may have to be done manually, but the primary devices could fall under the logic I suppose. Maybe a simple signal flow investigation to decipher the signal path and consider those devices as "together" so that moving one will move the others when in "Organize" mode.

Anything that makes reason more organized is great, as long as you have a way to leave it as is too. That's why I'm a fan of user preferences for most of these organization tasks. You can choose to do it one way (organized) or not (leave as is).

I do like the idea of moving the channel strips from one place to the next, without having to flip the rack and move the cables around (which is a major headache).

Rob
All the little things add up to one great program.

EditEd4TV 2008-02-27 19:35

http://baumanproductions.com/pichost...andingTiny.jpg
I don't mind moving cables too much, since that's the only option we have these days... takes a while, but it's not too much trouble. What I *DON'T* like is having to adjust all the EQ and aux send settings from one strip to another... now THAT is a horrible pain that takes way too long. You have to visually A/B two strips and make them match. Unfortunately, when a song is a disastrous mess I have to leave it like that because making those little knob adjustments takes too long.

Maybe in Reason 5... :)
Understanding Thor DVD

Reason1O1 2008-02-27 20:54

: I don't mind moving cables too much, since that's the only option we have these days... takes a while, but it's not too much trouble. What I *DON'T* like is having to adjust all the EQ and aux send settings from one strip to another... now THAT is a horrible pain that takes way too long. You have to visually A/B two strips and make them match. Unfortunately, when a song is a disastrous mess I have to leave it like that because making those little knob adjustments takes too long.
:
: Maybe in Reason 5... :)

Yup, matching up all the settings in the mixer channel is a major pain in the patootie. Of course one workaround is to forget you have send effects and work on inserts only. I know, not a great solution. but...

Like you, Ed, I also just end up leaving all the channels where they are. If I've put on my "organized" cap that day, I'll give a little thought before I set up the song -- thinking where I'm putting each instrument on each channel in the mixer. But most of the time that just slows down my creativity.

Rob
an organized artist. Is that like military intelligence: an oxy moron.

DIGITUS 2008-03-09 10:21

http://physics.syr.edu/icons/anim-equalizer.gif
I've often thought it'd be nice if we had a copy command for mixer channels. In certain cases, it would save time and eliminate fiddly knob twisting.
My Sounds

Reason1O1 2008-03-10 16:31

: I've often thought it'd be nice if we had a copy command for mixer channels. In certain cases, it would save time and eliminate fiddly knob twisting.

How about extending this to the back of the rack. So if I right-click on a mixer cv / audio connection, I can copy it and paste it into another input; creating the proper connections and devices as needed. For example, if I have a basic matrix set up to pan a channel, the cv is connected from the matrix curve to the pan cv input on the mixer. If I copy and paste it to another cv input on another channel, the cv spider would automatically be created and split the cv to both channels.

For audio, it should work the same way. Automatically creating the audio splitter as needed. Perhaps if you hold Alt/Opt down, it would create a copy of the tracks and devices. Whereas if you don't, it will just split the audio / CV. Does that make sense?

Rob
Link to my music