Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   simple request: exporting separated tracks (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=103198)

Reason1O1 2008-03-31 19:22

simple request: exporting separated tracks

I can't imagine this is a big effort on the part of the programmers, but how about an "export separated tracks" option in the file menu, so that all tracks are exported as separate wav files in a single location.

You select the location, and all tracks are exported into individual wav files with one click of a button. I know this would make all our lives much easier.

By the same token, and in the same dialog, it would be nice to select "midi" or "wav" for the export option. So that you could either have all separate midi files or all separated wav files.

Thanks Props!
Rob
Link to my music

danktle 2008-04-01 08:11

Have you tried ReWire?

I know this is the feature suggestion forum, but have you tried ReWiring into a host? If you don't want to pay for a host app, you can probably score a copy of Cubase LE from a buddy that bought an interface (so much crap comes with Cubase LE now it's not even funny. Or is it?) and is using some other host app instead of the free Cubase LE that came with his interface.

Once you ReWire, you have to unhook the 14:2 (or whatever master mixer you use), and hook them up to the individual outputs on the Hardware Interface and then it's a matter of creating the tracks in Cubase (or whatever host program you have chosen), arming them, and pressing record. The two transports automatically sync together when ReWire is active. The host application will record the audio outputs of Reason in realtime, and you have individual tracks.

I hope that helps (or whatever :p).

Reason1O1 2008-04-01 20:04

Re: Have you tried ReWire?

: I know this is the feature suggestion forum, but have you tried ReWiring into a host? If you don't want to pay for a host app, you can probably score a copy of Cubase LE from a buddy that bought an interface (so much crap comes with Cubase LE now it's not even funny. Or is it?) and is using some other host app instead of the free Cubase LE that came with his interface.
:
: Once you ReWire, you have to unhook the 14:2 (or whatever master mixer you use), and hook them up to the individual outputs on the Hardware Interface and then it's a matter of creating the tracks in Cubase (or whatever host program you have chosen), arming them, and pressing record. The two transports automatically sync together when ReWire is active. The host application will record the audio outputs of Reason in realtime, and you have individual tracks.
:
: I hope that helps (or whatever :p).

It does help. And this is a great suggestion for someone who rewires to a separate DAW. But I still think it should be an option directly from reason. It would save you having to rewire at all. Not being cheap. I have Ableton Live, but admittedly seldom use it.

Point is that I shouldn't have to open up two software packages and rewire them both (and tax my CPU) just to do something this simple.
Link to my music

davidvilla 2008-04-01 23:17

Please Enhance the EXPORT Function

: I really wish there was an easier way to do this. See my feature request from not too long ago:

Exporting

We need a comprehensive export function. It should have the ability to export all tracks at once, or whichever tracks you need, with or without FX, HQI on by default, mono, stereo, or split stereo, and all the usual sample and conversion rates. The key thing this has to do is export every track with the click of ONE button.
http://www.myspace.com/serpentpath

Reason1O1 2008-04-01 23:53

Re: Please Enhance the EXPORT Function

: : I really wish there was an easier way to do this. See my feature request from not too long ago:
:
: Exporting
:
: We need a comprehensive export function. It should have the ability to export all tracks at once, or whichever tracks you need, with or without FX, HQI on by default, mono, stereo, or split stereo, and all the usual sample and conversion rates. The key thing this has to do is export every track with the click of ONE button.

Here here!
Link to my music

LouiSerlo 2008-04-02 08:09

Re: Please Enhance the EXPORT Function

For real, you can do it in Fruity loops and that was 2 years ago. I was certain when I changed over that Reason would be doing it soon...

gwmatt 2008-04-02 16:45

Sounds like a Freeze Track function

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ness/LLSCl.jpg
Most DAW products have some way to "freeze" a track. Basically all it does it save the track to a high quality audio file and turn off all the midi and effects on that track. That way the track doesn't use so much CPU and memory when its played back. The "Unfreeze" reverses this.

This would certainly be a desirable feature. But due to Reason's architecture it raises a very basic question: What exactly is to be "frozen"? A sequencer track? A mixer track? A hardware interface track? The answer to that question would heavily impact what is saved and what is frozen, and would also greatly affect the complexity of any programming changes made to Reason.

The easiest thing would be to freeze the sequencer track. Since a sequencer track now belongs to one and only one device, it would be a simple matter to simply save the audio out of that particular device - as is - without regard to where it may be routed later. That way, the generated audio track would simply replace the frozen device in the chain without affecting anything else.

But even that raises a complex issue: what if the frozen track is a mixer (perhaps a sub mix)? Would Reason then backtrack through the device chain that fed into that mixer and disable all the tracks and devices that fed into it? That could get really dicey. And what if you tried to freeze a device such as a Matrix, which produces no audio output?

Reason's very flexibility might well make it too difficult for such a function to ever work the way we might wish it to.

If Propellerhead ever does introduce such a feature (and I hope they will someday) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it limited to tracks for instrument devices only. In other words, only devices which receive midi events and produce an audio output. That's the only way to guarantee a frozen track would produce exactly the same result as an unfrozen track.
gwmatt's music (such as it is)

Reason1O1 2008-04-02 18:43

Re: Sounds like a Freeze Track function

: Most DAW products have some way to "freeze" a track. Basically all it does it save the track to a high quality audio file and turn off all the midi and effects on that track. That way the track doesn't use so much CPU and memory when its played back. The "Unfreeze" reverses this.
:
: This would certainly be a desirable feature. But due to Reason's architecture it raises a very basic question: What exactly is to be "frozen"? A sequencer track? A mixer track? A hardware interface track? The answer to that question would heavily impact what is saved and what is frozen, and would also greatly affect the complexity of any programming changes made to Reason.
:
: The easiest thing would be to freeze the sequencer track. Since a sequencer track now belongs to one and only one device, it would be a simple matter to simply save the audio out of that particular device - as is - without regard to where it may be routed later. That way, the generated audio track would simply replace the frozen device in the chain without affecting anything else.
:
: But even that raises a complex issue: what if the frozen track is a mixer (perhaps a sub mix)? Would Reason then backtrack through the device chain that fed into that mixer and disable all the tracks and devices that fed into it? That could get really dicey. And what if you tried to freeze a device such as a Matrix, which produces no audio output?
:
: Reason's very flexibility might well make it too difficult for such a function to ever work the way we might wish it to.
:
: If Propellerhead ever does introduce such a feature (and I hope they will someday) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it limited to tracks for instrument devices only. In other words, only devices which receive midi events and produce an audio output. That's the only way to guarantee a frozen track would produce exactly the same result as an unfrozen track.

After giving this some further thought, and reading your post, here are my updated thoughts on this type of feature:

I think we're talking about two separate things. One is the midi data and another is the audio data. If you are exporting the midi data into separate tracks, then you should logically follow the sequencer track to export. In this event, data in the sequencer tracks gets exported to separate midi files.

But on the audio side, I now see it makes more sense to export from the channel on the mixer (or the master channel). This would solve the problem of submixing. So if, for example, you route all your redrum channels to a mixer, you will have the ability to select which channels on your submix get exported (individual drum hits on a specific channel), or the master channel from that mixer (the total drum submix).

In this situation, you click "export audio channels" under the file menu, and you get a dialog box showing all your mixers and mixer channels used in the song (this would be a lengthy list in some cases, but collapsable with plus/minus sign next to each mixer-- also, if no audio is cabled to a specific channel, the channel wouldn't need to show up in the list). Next to each channel/master channel is a checkbox so you can select which channels you want exported. You also have the ability to "Select All" or "Deselect all" mixers/mixer channels. Click OK, and the audio is separated for you into wav files.

I also don't really see the benefit of exporting without fx applied. Though I'm sure there may exist good reasons to do this. If so, it shouldn't be too hard to program a switch in the software that bypasses all effect devices before exporting. That way, there could be a separate option in the dialog I'm suggesting called "all effects off" which when enabled bypasses the effects before export, and when disabled, leaves all the effects on. Only the props can say for sure how difficult all of this is. But even if it's difficult, this is a wishlist forum, and if we don't wish it, they won't build it.

So how about including both "export separate sequencer tracks as midi data" and "export separated mixer channels as audio data" in the next software release?

Rob
Link to my music

gwmatt 2008-04-02 21:06

Freeze vs. Export

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ChurchHelp.jpg
Yeah, now that you mention it they are two different things, with two entirely different purposes.

The "freeze track" function available in most DAW products has two main purposes:

1) Improve performance (simple audio playback vs. midi to synth/sampler to effects chain to audio out). The former is usually far less taxing on CPU and memory.

2) Project integrity. By "freezing" a track, you avoid accidental changes and thus keep it in a (more or less) finished state.

The only way to accomplish this in Reason currently is to export the track as an audio file (see instructions below) and then replace that device with a sampler (NN19 or NNXT) which plays back the saved audio file. I've never actually tried doing this, but it should work.

Export is a different animal altogether, usually implying saving a song (or track) for use in another program.

Reason doesn't provide a quick, easy way to do this, but it's still not difficult. Exporting to a midi will of course export the entire song - I don't know of any way around this. But if you open that exported midi file in a program like Sonar it's only a few mouse clicks (or shift/down arrow clicks) to remove any unwanted tracks. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

Exporting the audio of an individual track is slightly more complicated, but still not difficult. Simply solo a mixer channel, then use the regular export song/loop as audio. If you want to export multiple tracks it's just a matter of clicking the right combination of solo & mute buttons on the mixer. I've done this and it's quite easy to do, although it is a bit time consuming.

And on a completely different subject, I've been slowly checking out some of your songs over the past week or so. Some I didn't care for, some I liked quite a bit, and some I haven't figured out yet. My favorite (so far) is "AI Lullaby". The "most disturbing" award has to go to "Condemned to Repeat", which I guess was the intention. Yikes! Cult leaders give me the flyin' willies!
gwmatt's music (such as it is)

Reason1O1 2008-04-03 15:56

Re: Freeze vs. Export

: And on a completely different subject, I've been slowly checking out some of your songs over the past week or so. Some I didn't care for, some I liked quite a bit, and some I haven't figured out yet. My favorite (so far) is "AI Lullaby". The "most disturbing" award has to go to "Condemned to Repeat", which I guess was the intention. Yikes! Cult leaders give me the flyin' willies!

Cult leaders give me the flying willies too. But they make for great samples. That particular sample has been used by a few other artists before. I just wanted to give my spin on it. "AI Lullaby" is one of my favorites as well. Surprisingly it was also one of the quickest for me to put together, which I guess goes to prove that the time it takes you to create a track is unimportant. Trust your ears and go from there.

Thanks for listening.
Rob
Link to my music