Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to set an effect on multiple instruments? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=104271)

abeall 2008-06-07 07:22

How to set an effect on multiple instruments?

Possibly a common question, but I'm new here. How do I create an effect device that applies to more than one instrument? I don't have a background in audio really and all the wires on the back are pretty confusing. I can see that the instrument wires into the effect, and the effect wires into the mixer... but what if I want several instruments to wire into the same effect?

lilmact 2008-06-07 07:53

You can add up to four effects devices onto the mixer so that you can use them for any instrument you have wired through the mixer.

abeall 2008-06-07 08:34

Cool, thanks... now what if I want to add more than 4? :)

Also, how exactly do I apply an effect device to the mixer? I selected the mixer and created an RV7000, but it didn't seem to have any effect... when I flip the rack I can see there are some wires attaching it but the effect is definitely not happening to the instruments.

marc64 2008-06-07 09:25

You need to turn up the aux knobs on the mixer on that channel you want.

If you want more than 4 effects on something, just create a caombinator and add all effects there and then connect the combinator to a aux in a mixer ;)

Or use the spider audio to connect 4 effects to that and then connect the spider audio to an aux in the mixer

abeall 2008-06-07 14:36

Awesome, thanks!

Now, one last question for now. Suppose I already have a mishmash of instruments in my mixer (in fact I have two mixers cause I ran out of instruments on the first one)... is there an easy way to re-organize my instruments into new mixers?

The main thing I'm trying to do at the moment is set a reverb for 6 to 8 of the instruments. The way I understand it, I need to put all those instruments on the same mixer (they are spread across two mixers at the moment), make sure the other instruments which I do not want the reverb effect on to be on a different mixer... I can't find a way to do that real easily, though. How should I go about doing that?

marc64 2008-06-07 16:00

What I usually do is to have one mixer for leads, one for basses, one for drums and so on, that helps me keep track on where my instruments are :D

abeall 2008-06-09 03:16

That sounds like a great way to organize, and I've learned a lot about how I should probably set up my next project as I've been working on these first few songs. :) However, I can definitely see this sort of situation happening a lot, where I work on the music composition and tweak the sound and effects afterwards, and some re-organization may be required. So what's the easiest way to move an instrument from one mixer to another? To be honest, I'm not sure I know how to do it at all! I guess I could detach the L/R wires from the one mixer and move it the other mixer? Seems there would be a way to just select instrument and mixer and click "attach" or something, like it does automatically when you first add an instrument.

RedSkwirrell 2008-06-09 13:13

Why not create a mixer with effects for all the instruments you want to apply these effects to .
If you want to apply more effects to the same instruments, create a new mixer and run them through that as well.
Then link up to your main mixer as normal.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rell_smily.gif

Reason1O1 2008-06-09 18:41

You don't have to move your instruments around if you don't want to. If you create a mixer underneath the other mixer, by default the send effects of the first mixer will link with that of the second mixer. So you can use the same effects on any channels on the second mixer without skipping a beat.

Of course, if you didn't create the mixer directly under the previous mixer, you'll have to manually connect the send effects of the first mixer into that of the second. But all this routing is in your product manual.

Rob