Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Synth Design (Thor adds and tweaks) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=106953)

eXode 2008-10-21 14:38

Synth Design (Thor adds and tweaks)

http://web.comhem.se/daniel.ohlsson/THOR_SPOOF.jpg

Analog oscillator:

Type A:
Saw, Square and Triangle waveforms.

There are buttons so that the oscillator can output all three waveforms at the same time (Prophet & Oberheim style). Square have adjustable pulse width (50%-95%), PWM amount (0 = no PWM) and PWM speed dials.

[Optional] A sub oscillator switch that enables a sub oscillator that is tuned 1 octave below the waveform. The sub oscillator could perhaps be switchable 1–2 octaves and waveform produced should be a square wave, also affected by the PWM settings.

To emulate the old analogue oscillators in a proper fashion the oscillator should drift. A random cycle for each voice that modulates the oscillator’s pitch at a slow rate would very well emulate an old oscillator drifting in and out of tune (Do not achieve this with phase!!!). You could perhaps have an 'analog' pot to control the amount of drifting from no drifting to heavy drifting.

Type B:
Triangle, Saw-Tri, Triangle, Square, Pulse and Narrow Pulse waveforms.

This oscillator has a continuous waveshaper that enables the user to go through the different waveforms smoothly and also the ability to create some very interesting and complex waveshape modulations. The type B oscillator will use the same means of emulating drifting as described in the type A oscillator.

Both oscillator should perhaps feature a "LO" mode to have it act as an extra LFO (moog style).

Digital oscillator:

NN19 Osc:
A digital sample-based oscillator capable of reading either .wav/.aif or NN19's .smp format. It should only read the multi-sample data and discard filter/amp settings, etc. This osc should also incorporate some granular synthesis trickery as well!

Physical Modeling:
A physical modeling oscillator that models plucked, keyed and bowed type string sounds and also brass and wood type wind instruments!

Voice/Polyphony section:

The voice section should have an unison switch that will stack all the polyphonic voices into one fat voice. It would be great to have a separate digit window so that you can set the synth to 10 voices but with 5 voices unison (totalling of up to 50 voices in this specific example). Apart from unison on/off there should be a pot for detune amt and one for spread. This should be applicable on all the different oscillator types. You could also put the drift "analog" pot on the voice section to have it global instead of just certain oscillator types.

Analog filter:

Yamaha CS-Style Filter:
A filter module inspired by the filter in the Yamaha CS60 & 80.

A highpass filter with separate resonance control and a lowpass filter with separate resonance control in series. Filter is resonant but not self-oscillating. Filter is 12db 2-Pole.

Korg MS-Style Filter:
A filter module inspired by the filter in the Korg MS-20.

A highpass filter with separate resonance control and a lowpass filter with separate resonance control in series. Filter is resonant and self-oscillating. Filter is 12db 2-Pole.

All filters in thor, new and old ones should have their own PAN pot so that you can pan Filter 1 and Filter 2!

Chorus:

The chorus seems to be faux stereo at the moment and it can sound really bad at times, please sort this out, it drags the entire synth down atm.

To be continued...

BAZA 2008-10-21 20:53

Like it. Now the filters!

flotzilla 2008-10-21 22:27

I'd like to see the Amp section be made stereo. At least have a 'spread' control like the Mal. I never understood why it was made mono only. I know how to do the work around, but it's a big pain compared to a simple spread knob.

Another thing I never understood was why they put a dealy and chorus unit on it. I seriously don't get it. I'd rather have another LFO with rate, tempo sync, and a 1-shot button. Even with all that, you'd still have plenty of room left over for a 'spread' knob.

Now that I think about it, they could add a fancy spread section. Have a Mal type spread knob and a freq knob that controls the point at which the spread starts happening. For instance, if the freq knob is fully left, it is disabled. If it is set to 100Hz, only frequencies above 100Hz are affected by the spread knob. Kind of like a built in stereo imager.

I'd also like a phase knob added to future (if any) osciallators.

dioxide 2008-10-22 01:35

Surely some of these would be covered if you had more slots? I'm starting to think that Reason's screen size is actually becoming a limitation on the devices. As if some features are left out as they can't be shoe-horned into the space.

dioxide 2008-10-22 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotzilla (Post 591830)
Now that I think about it, they could add a fancy spread section.

I use Zebra 2 sometimes and Thor actually stands up quite well when you're comparing things it is capable of doing (although Z2 can actually do FM properly - arf, arf). Part of the reason Z2 sounds so good is the stereo spread on the Oscs followed by stereo filters. I imagine its the same for a lot of other modern softsynths. I find it with the effects in Ableton also - it sounds instantly impressive (just) because everything is wider. IMO that's one of the reason's everyone think Live sounds so much better than Reason, because of the in-built FX having a heavy stereo bias.

lowlifebware 2008-10-22 06:24

Lovin it, think that so long as the props have made thor "futureproof" patch wise then this would definitely be one of the ways to move in to the 22nd century. I notice you forgot the pattern select for the step sequencer

B
p.s. love the lowpass

lowlifebware 2008-10-22 07:17

here's a thought, there used to be a casio (?) synth that featured an 8 stage oscillator, the one that Lizard did a cool job of emulating recently.....

Anyway what about instead of a filter in space 2 you could also add one of these envelope generators?

Don't know if this is feasible really but it sounds good in my head

eXode 2008-10-22 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by flotzilla (Post 591830)
I'd like to see the Amp section be made stereo. At least have a 'spread' control like the Mal. I never understood why it was made mono only. I know how to do the work around, but it's a big pain compared to a simple spread knob.

Another thing I never understood was why they put a dealy and chorus unit on it. I seriously don't get it. I'd rather have another LFO with rate, tempo sync, and a 1-shot button. Even with all that, you'd still have plenty of room left over for a 'spread' knob.

Now that I think about it, they could add a fancy spread section. Have a Mal type spread knob and a freq knob that controls the point at which the spread starts happening. For instance, if the freq knob is fully left, it is disabled. If it is set to 100Hz, only frequencies above 100Hz are affected by the spread knob. Kind of like a built in stereo imager.

I'd also like a phase knob added to future (if any) osciallators.

I think you don't need the spread that much if you feature PAN for filter 1 & 2 (like i requested)

Rucafest 2008-10-22 10:04

Very nice stuff eXode, lets hope...

flotzilla 2008-10-22 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXode (Post 591915)
I think you don't need the spread that much if you feature PAN for filter 1 & 2 (like i requested)

True dat!

However, adding a spread knob would be 'retro active' to the other filters, not just any new ones.

I think you can squeeze a button or two onto your CS-80 filter for changing the poles. At least do it for the low pass, the HP can stay as is.

Dioxide --> I hear ya about the limitations on the rack graphics. I've done a few graphic mock-ups of Reason devices I'd like and several times I had to either omit features all together, or make the device an extra rack space larger. I think it hurts mostly on the 1/2 rack devices. It seems the Props have gotten into a groove with the collabsable programming sections design motif (NN-XT, RV-7000, Thor). I really hope they keep that up!

Thomas