Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reason 3.0 Timing off and off beat (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=109288)

bbcdefghij 2009-02-13 01:16

Reason 3.0 Timing off and off beat

Hello my name is Elijah and I make beats on Reason 3.0 and I came across a serious problem. The problem is with the timing in Reason 3.0. There are two things that I do not like using in Reason 3.0. I don't like using quantize or the metronome click. Quantize does not sound the way I want it to sound and the metronome click sound messes with my focus on laying the melody or the drums down. When I'm ready to make my melody I hit the record button and I lay the melody down using my midi piano. When I'm done laying down my melody I hit stop and then I go to the beginning of my melody. I then press play and my melody sounds on beat and on timing. After this I highlight my melody and then I go to the edit menu and click on copy and then paste. For some reason it takes me an hour just to have my second melody come on beat and on timing with my first melody. When you want to move your melody in Reason 3.0 just a little bit or wherever you want to move the melody in the sequencer, you have to turn off the snap to grid function. I always have the snap to grid function turned off. Even so, for some reason I still can't get my second melody to come on beat and on timing with my first melody. I wrote a letter to propellerhead and this is what they told me, "if you make sure that the magnet (snap to) function is OFF, then clicking on the sequencer clip and dragging it anywhere on the sequencer lane will happen without the clip being forced to line up to a bar, 1/2 note, 1/4 note, 1/8 note, resolution, etc. It's not going to snap to an even part of the beat, it's going to end up where you drag it to, so chances are it will be off by a little bit before or after where you want it to be. "So with that being said it looks like propellerhead does not know how to fix my problem. I was wondering if you or anybody have any solution to my problem? Is there any way I can get my beats to sound on beat and on timing the way that I make my music? I don't use quantize or the metronome click. I'm trying to find a computer software music program or DAW program that can make my beat sound on beat and on timing. When I make a beat I start off with the melody and when I'm done making the melody, I copy the melody and paste it. I then move the melody that I just copied and pasted with to the position where it needs to be in order for it to sound on beat and on timing with my first melody without spending like an hour to get the melody I just copied and pasted with to move to the position where it needs to be. The reason why it takes me that long to try to get the beat to sound on beat and on timing is because it does not move very,very little, like a half of second little to get the melody of the beat at the perfect position, for the melody or the beat to sound on beat and on timing. I'm trying to find a computer software music program or DAW program that can move the melody or the beat very,very,very little, like a half of second little so it can move to the position where it needs to be to sound on beat and on timing with the other parts in the beat and melody. My question to you or anybody is do you know of any computer software music program or DAW program that can make a melody or beat move very,very,little, like a half of a second little so it can move to the position where it needs to be to sound on beat and on timing with the other parts in the beat and melody? Please help me and Thank you. Elijah.

Epitetus 2009-02-13 02:06

Personally, I cannot remember what its like using R3 as I am so au faux with R4. In R4 you have clips. Once you record a midi part you create a clip. From WITHIN that clip you can adjust the positioning of the melody/notes etc to any position.i.e. Snap to grid with desired note length or manual positioning. If the clip is 4 bars long, and you want to start your melody say at Bar 2 just drag the notes to bar 2. If the melody is longer you can just edit the length of the clip. This is the ingenious part the whole clip is 4 bars and the notes are embedded in the clip. Then you can just drag the clip to any note lane and position and the 4 bar clip will still have the notes starting at bar 2 embedded.

I thought R3 sequencer was far too complicated. I would ditch R3 and go straight to R4. Once you get to grips with the sequencer and clips. You can rack on and make some great tracks, by simply dragging your clips around. It is purely minter and easy.

I know this is probably not much help to you, but just don't give up.