Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Snare Eq/Comp Help Need Clack Sound (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=116053)

Cpt501 2009-09-23 23:18

Snare Eq/Comp Help Need Clack Sound
 
I use a lot of break samples layered w/ some factory or other source snares. I use typical eq ( 800-1000 HZ -2, 3-5 kHZ and 8-10kHZ +1) and Compression ( thres -4 ratio 4:1 attack 5-10ms) settings but I'm really not getting the sound I want. I'm looking for that "Clack" sound something like what you'd hear on a flying lotus/dilla/ect track. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it, thanks.

fgitler 2009-09-23 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt501 (Post 657891)
I use a lot of break samples layered w/ some factory or other source snares. I use typical eq ( 800-1000 HZ -2, 3-5 kHZ and 8-10kHZ +1) and Compression ( thres -4 ratio 4:1 attack 5-10ms) settings but I'm really not getting the sound I want. I'm looking for that "Clack" sound something like what you'd hear on a flying lotus/dilla/ect track. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it, thanks.

you might want to try layering more than one drum sound together (you can chain the gate on a redrum to trigger a second sound with the first.)

Cpt501 2009-09-23 23:36

thanks, i currently do that but only a few hits have the sound I'm looking for and I feel a little cheap just using the same ones over and over. To be more specific I'm looking for some eq settings/fx to help bring out the clack in any hit.

ProfessaKaos 2009-09-24 06:09

maybe try some parallel compression on it or a scream distortion unit to give a bit of gritt to it

bw120205 2009-09-24 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt501 (Post 657897)
thanks, i currently do that but only a few hits have the sound I'm looking for and I feel a little cheap just using the same ones over and over. To be more specific I'm looking for some eq settings/fx to help bring out the clack in any hit.


Try compressing the snare more than normal. I find that when I really squash the snare I can get a nice crackling sound. This also comes from Eq'ing the snare and eliminating a lot of the low end and boosting some of the high mids. I guess just mess with the EQ until it sounds right but I find an almost inappropriate amount of compression can do the trick. The thing is that it's just as easy to ruin the snare sound as it is to get it to be really nice so it's a difficult and finicky process. That's why we all love records that have that great snare sound cause it's not that easy to achieve. I hope some of this helps

bw120205 2009-09-24 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidWuzi (Post 657999)
maybe try some parallel compression on it or a scream distortion unit to give a bit of gritt to it

This also works well too. The scream 4 makes snares sound like 100 times better in almost any situation

Rucafest 2009-09-24 10:31

Overlay a clap sound just a few miliseconds before a snare, also creates the very common sound found in Dirty House. A bit of rough sounding clap/snare combo, then apply some distortion like bw mentions.

ps:the right suonds together also is vwery important. not just any clap with any snare, each has to have certain characteristics the other wont, like more dryiness on the snare, and a more wet sounding clap, for example.

Cpt501 2009-09-27 04:29

Thanks everybody I'll def. try all that out.

lowlifebware 2009-09-27 05:58

I'm thinking that I'd go for parallel compression plus a parallel reverb which has a bit of predelay so it sits just after the compressor release.

Other processing would be dependent on how close it is, but I like the idea Rucafest gave about layering the clap. Thinking on it I generally despise clap sounds so might go for a finger snap sound if I could get one to fit, but it's all about taste.

B


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:16.