Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Auto Punch IN/OUT Please (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=118502)

GJ38 2009-12-06 04:37

Auto Punch IN/OUT Please

Record is lacking this very basic feature. I'm not sure if it was left out for sake of extra engine stability? The bar count off option is fine if you are entering on a downbeat. If you have a pick up note, you're out of luck. If you play a transient before the recording begins, it's lost. If you are recording yourself, as I do, you can't walk into the next room and get set for recording while the 4 bar countoff goes by! Please allow the left and right locators to set punch in and out times. You can keep the system as is, but add a button on the transport panel to allow auto punch. Thanks for the consideration. I'm very excited about this program as a creative tool, but this needs to be added to make it really work.

metaghost 2009-12-13 20:54

I just picked up Record last week and came onto the forums today to make sure I wasn't crazy: there really isn't an auto-punch function. It hasn't been a terrible inconvenience, but it sure is a nice ability and seems like a strange oversight.

GJ38 2009-12-16 00:26

I think we're supposed to use the overdub button which will create a new track with the same settings. But, it's obviously not the same, even though it's a nice unique feature unto itself. Here's the downside for me: I need to hear the music, not a metronome click. So recording is forced to begin immediately upon starting playback which eats up disk space and requires editing out the lead in to the actual overdub. Also the orignal track you are trying to fix needs to be edited around the new overdub. This is not a great methodology.

philbillie 2009-12-16 01:51

Dear Propellerhead: YES, YES, YES! Please give us an auto punch feature. And while you're at it, a simple auto locate function. I can't see why they couldnt' be added without ruining the transport.

metaghost 2009-12-16 03:48

Thankfully the comping works significantly better than it does in Logic, but being forced to unnecessarily overdub over sections prior to the actual punch point is indeed a nuisance the more I do it.

GJ38 2009-12-16 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaghost (Post 680756)
Thankfully the comping works significantly better than it does in Logic, but being forced to unnecessarily overdub over sections prior to the actual punch point is indeed a nuisance the more I do it.

You did find the overdub button, right? Hopefully, you're not recording over anything because you're given a new track when you do this.
If I use Record with a client then I would just do a manual punch like I am used to doing anyway.
One other transport feature that a lot of us are accustomed to is to be able to return to a previous point automatically upon stopping transport. We can currently set the left indicator and just hit key pad 1. So if we do eventually enjoy an auto punch, the L and R indicators might get used for that, and it would be good to have an auto rewind type feature or an additional indicator or marker.

cordelero 2010-01-28 14:43

Auto Punch

I agree. Record is nearly useless to me without auto-punch. I'm back using pro-tools until they implement this feature. I record by myself so manual punching is out of the question. I'm surprised this didn't come up during beta. I can't possibly be the only one who records parts straight through the song and goes back to fix little mistakes.

Notacet 2010-01-28 15:21

How to do it!

Here's how propellerhead should do it:

-there should be a button called "only record the loop area" near the L and R buttons in transport panel
-with this button toggled, people could just start recording from a distance and then just the right place would get recorded
-if you happen to also have the loop button on, it would loop from the playhead position, not the L-position, and again record only the section from L to R.
-this would also save the precious hard drive space.
-there should also be an option to return the playhead to the original position when stopped
-in preferences there should be a setting to how rec-button behaves. I wished it worked like a toggle that doesn't start recording on it's own. With this combined to the returning of the playhead, you could just hit spacebar until you have the perfect take.

clarktw 2010-01-28 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordelero (Post 691098)
... Record is nearly useless to me without auto-punch. I'm back using pro-tools until they implement this feature. I record by myself so manual punching is out of the question... I can't possibly be the only one who records parts straight through the song and goes back to fix little mistakes.

I agree with GJ38's recommendation, and if anyone doesn't know that there are "workarounds/kludges" in the meantime: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ighlight=punch . Selfdude's sustain pedal option is nice (I use it now), and Grumbleweed's method is pretty slick.

Joesi 2010-02-03 13:25

What else shall I say...
You mentioned it already folks!
This is incredibly important. This is the reason why I carry on recording with Reaper. At least I can do mixing afterwards using Record...
Records philosophy is to represent an enviroment for musicians, not engineers. Fine, I´m both. But both of´em neeeeed (!) this auto-punch in/out. This is so essential!
A single tiny feature which might be the reason not to use Record for recording. So wake up, props!