Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MIDI routers (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=118941)

sequoiagrove 2009-12-19 18:58

MIDI routers

I'd like a new deivce , a "midi router". Where I can split the midi singlas and route them to different nnxt devices. I know combinator can do a simple split, like send 2 octaves to one nnxt device and other octaves into another device, so you can have different "articulations" on different octaves.
When an instrument only uses 2-3 octaves such as a bass it is fine.
But sometimes I want to divide my articulations into the modulation wheel, or sustain pedal or even the expression dial.
It is a simple thing to program.

Features Id like it to have:

- 1 midi in, N outs which can be routed in many ways
- by key range
- velocity range
- modulation dial range
- expression range
- choose output by pressing a key on the keyboard, e.g. C0 = output 1 D0= output2 etc..

A 2nd device Id like is a midi remapper:

- look up table for key A0 = C1, B0 = F#2 etc... I would use this for remapping drum kits wihtout going into the NNXT patch and move all the samples' ranges...
- velocity curve (output velocity as a function of input velocity)

gallob 2009-12-20 23:05

+1, I am with you.

stevenha 2012-11-01 19:56

Bumping an old thread, because I'm interested in this too, and having difficulty with the forum search. I also want the ability to route my left hand playing to one instrument (or combinator) and route my right hand playing to a different instrument or combinator. AND, if there was some artificial intelligence that knew how to guess where left and right hands are moving around on the keyboard, and could dynamically adjust the split point, that would be amazing. (I hope its obvious that this is for live improv.)

JakTheStripper 2012-11-01 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenha (Post 1169008)
AND, if there was some artificial intelligence that knew how to guess where left and right hands are moving around on the keyboard, and could dynamically adjust the split point, that would be amazing. (I hope its obvious that this is for live improv.)

Is this sarcasm? Because, if not, what you are asking would have to be incredibly complicated. You would need hand tracking sensors and complicated algorithms to determine the dynamic split. The simple solution (and probably much cheaper solution) is to just use 2 keyboards.

And unless I'm misunderstanding the original thread, I thought that with some careful programming that the combinator can do most if not all of what was asked.

illCarl 2012-11-02 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakTheStripper (Post 1169028)
Is this sarcasm? Because, if not, what you are asking would have to be incredibly complicated. You would need hand tracking sensors and complicated algorithms to determine the dynamic split. The simple solution (and probably much cheaper solution) is to just use 2 keyboards.

And unless I'm misunderstanding the original thread, I thought that with some careful programming that the combinator can do most if not all of what was asked.

That would make up an interesting keyboard.. The "hand tracking" could be something simple like gloves with 2 types of metal at the fingertips and a electricity-sensitive keyboard :) I'm in nerd mode :)

stevenha 2012-11-03 03:42

I believe software with simple rules can do a fairly good job of keeping a dynamic split between right and left hands. Start by assuming each hand can reach a 10th. Some notes played near the thumbs will overlap and potentially be from either hand, but a few additional rules to assign notes based on probabilities of how humans tend to play, would work acceptably well. Plus, humans using this soft split feature, would adapt their playing to keep a little separation of their hands anyway.
Or, since you're not using your iPad for music, let its video camera track your software, with the same software principles of face-tracking software.

But on a practical level, I`m new to Reason, so could someone take time to explain how a combinator could send midi notes to different instruments.

JakTheStripper 2012-11-05 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenha (Post 1169914)
But on a practical level, I`m new to Reason, so could someone take time to explain how a combinator could send midi notes to different instruments.

Open up the combinator programming panel. Each device in the combinator is listed there. The instrument devices each have there own receive notes range, the default being 0-127. Let's say you want to split the keyboard at middle C. Set your left hand device's range from 0-64, and set the right hand device's range from 65-127 (you can also set velocity ranges for devices too). Also check out the manual for all kinds of details on what the combinator can do.

stevenha 2012-11-05 03:49

Thank-you Jak. The manual on combinator DID help, a page in mid 500s of 1000. It's non-intuitive that you have to slide a black bar horizontally, before you can see and grab the controls that move the keyboard ranges. Anyway, I got split keyboard working, and since it allows some overlap of key ranges, it's pretty useful.