Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does sound card matter in .wav file creation? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=119687)

2010-01-13 06:35

Does sound card matter in .wav file creation?

Hi. This might be a newbie question.
When Reason engine takes your song and exports it to .wav file, does it matter if you have $5 sound card or $1,000,000 sound card? In other words: does "Export Song" uses sound card or is it a purely software function?

clarktw 2010-01-13 07:22

I'm sure the experts here will post, but since we're both online at the moment I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I haven't seen any threads/posts about the soundcard or any hardware being a factor in "Export Song to Audio File" creating the .wav or .aiff file being sent to your computer. I don't think it's any different than doing an LP (the "song") to a .wav - http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/ea.../overview.html

2010-01-13 07:46

Well, in your link it is different, if I understood it correctly, as it is taking an Analog signal and converts it to wav.
In Reason's case it is taking 0s and 1s and converts it to 0s and 1s (.rns file to .wav file) ...but does sound card matter? :)

clarktw 2010-01-13 07:55

Hmm, I still think that it doesn't matter. The link also mentions converting "Internet radio". Let's see what the experts say!

drloop 2010-01-13 08:22

Exporting from Reason/record do not involve the soundcard.
The soundcard makes difference when you
A: Record stuff thru the card
B: Listening, better soundcard gives higher res or more accurate listening.

James Bernard 2010-01-13 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by drloop (Post 687649)
Exporting from Reason/record do not involve the soundcard.
The soundcard makes difference when you
A: Record stuff thru the card
B: Listening, better soundcard gives higher res or more accurate listening.

This is absolutely correct. Where the soundcard really makes the difference is in the quality of any recorded audio material and maybe even more importantly.. what you are hearing when you monitor/listen. Since you are "sculpting the mix" when you listen and that final mix is what you will be exporting... a good soundcard with quality D/A (digital to analog) converters is going to give you the most accurate representation of what the audio will sound like when it is exported. A cheap soundcard can "color" the sound on playback... which can make you make decisions during the mixing/mastering stage that might be incorrect for the song.

So in short... try and get the best quality soundcard that you can afford... that being said... also get the best quality and most acoustically flat response monitors (speakers) that you can afford.

Those 2 components (speakers/monitors and soundcard) are usually the weakest link in any home studio.

clarktw 2010-01-13 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bernard (Post 687716)
... Those 2 components (speakers/monitors and soundcard) are usually the weakest link in any home studio.

"Thanks!" for the great advice. I think that a lot of users don't realize the importance of the soundcard, not just for quality but also I/O abilities. Fortunately, I replaced my PC's Realtek with an E-MU 0404 before I got Record without knowing the difference it makes. I've told others that any soundcard that comes with a "packaged store-bought" PC is not worthy of studio use and that they should replace it. Is that a true statement?

2010-01-14 05:52

Right: but are you using it as James Bernard said for recording/listening ? Then it definatelly matters. But when you convert between 2 binary files (.rns to .wav) does Sound Card matter then?

clarktw 2010-01-14 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasyaivanov (Post 687880)
... when you convert between 2 binary files (.rns to .wav) does Sound Card matter then?

I'm sorry, I did not mean to confuse your original question. Drloop and James Bernard are saying that the soundcard has nothing to do with Reason converting the .rns file to a .wav file. My question to James Bernard is, to put it differently: if anyone expects to get the best quality sound from a computer-based studio, is it true that a "stock item" soundcard is not designed to do that - should it be replaced with a studio-quality soundcard.

The answer to your question is that the soundcard does not matter. And, we are both fortunate to have James Bernard posting. He is a member of the Propellerhead senior staff.

facher83 2010-01-14 19:16

Perhaps more important in representation of audio quality than the sound card is actually your speakers. Consumer grade headsets, speakers or stereo systems can present a distorted sound to the user. Some speakers do not accurately replicate bass or trebles, causing the user to mix EQ setting inappropriately.

If a user is concerned about their sound card, and attempts to utilize a $100 sound card, the user should also invest in a good pair of speakers/amplifier to assist.

There is little point in purchasing a $100 sound card if you are going to still be using your $50 Logitech 3 piece speaker set.