Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Advantage of Line6 hardware and Record??? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=119749)

anduus 2010-01-15 22:55

Advantage of Line6 hardware and Record???

What is the advantage in Record exactly, when you buy a Line6 audiocard for your guitar input, rather than buying a pre-amp and plug it into your line-in on the "old" audiocard (ex. RME Hammerfall) ??? Don't I get the samme effects available????

Regards,
André

jetpilot00 2010-01-15 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by anduus (Post 688188)
What is the advantage in Record exactly, when you buy a Line6 audiocard for your guitar input, rather than buying a pre-amp and plug it into your line-in on the "old" audiocard (ex. RME Hammerfall) ??? Don't I get the samme effects available????

Regards,
André

No.

You will have access to the effects within Record but not all of the guitar effects available from Line 6.

The biggest omission in Record, out of the box, is the amps and cabs. You will need Pod Farm on I-Loc or a Line 6 interface. The Record / Pod Studio GX is a GREAT package and then you can purchase some model packages from Line 6 for around $29.

With a Line 6 interface, and a purchase of Pod Farm Platinum, you will have all the sounds that Line 6 has available.

anduus 2010-01-15 23:13

OK, so I get a limited amount of effects from Line 6 in Record while (the ones that i see/hear in the mini tutorials).... But buying the Pod Farm, disables me for using my RME audio-interface, since Record can only handle one audiocard at a time????

jetpilot00 2010-01-15 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by anduus (Post 688193)
OK, so I get a limited amount of effects from Line 6 in Record while (the ones that i see/hear in the mini tutorials).... But buying the Pod Farm, disables me for using my RME audio-interface, since Record can only handle one audiocard at a time????

Not necessarily. You have a choice. You can still use your RME and buy an I-Loc and Pod Farm or Pod Farm Platinum for ALL of Line 6 amp, cabs and effects.

It's a solution for those that already have a good sound card.

anduus 2010-01-15 23:39

But these effect comes and adds from the Line 6 HW-box under the "live play", and therefore I can't add/alter them afterwards in Records sequencer - as I see it!?

jetpilot00 2010-01-16 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by anduus (Post 688198)
But these effect comes and adds from the Line 6 HW-box under the "live play", and therefore I can't add/alter them afterwards in Records sequencer - as I see it!?

No, that's incorrect. When you track your guitar in Record, you can do it many ways. You can bring a wet, or processed, sound in, you can bring a dry, or unprocessed signal, in or you can bring in both at the same time.

How you do this depends on what hardware you are using and how you route it from Pod Farm's mixer and the inputs in Record. In Record, you can open a Line 6 interface and load a .l6t file that you created in Pod Farm and use it as an insert for mixing on a dry signal later or you can insert a combinator patch on the individual guitar track.

I know that sounds like a lot to comprehend but with Record and Pod Farm, you have a ton of options available for guitar processing both before and after tracking.

MountainKing 2010-01-17 14:23

It would also be a big step forward if the Line6-Interface INSIDE Record would use the PODFarm (Plugin) interface (GUI). Or if not that.... at least it would be great to have access to all the devices that are enabled inside the Line6 hardware (in my case PODxt with all packs but not th bass pack).

Maybe I should post this in the feature request forum.

Cheers Jens

gentleman1 2010-01-17 16:41

hi all, I am now using line 6 as an insert effect and tracking guitar with monitoring in reason. im using the line 6 GX as my soundcard. still seems to me like during tracking everything sounds fine-then when i play back, the part sounds ever so slightly behind the beat. is this a common problem? or is it a latency issue i should be able to fix with a configuration. im using the lowest latency available with gx: buffer size of 64 samples, inpt lat 5ms, output latency 4ms.

jetpilot00 2010-01-17 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by gentleman1 (Post 688505)
hi all, I am now using line 6 as an insert effect and tracking guitar with monitoring in reason. im using the line 6 GX as my soundcard. still seems to me like during tracking everything sounds fine-then when i play back, the part sounds ever so slightly behind the beat. is this a common problem? or is it a latency issue i should be able to fix with a configuration. im using the lowest latency available with gx: buffer size of 64 samples, inpt lat 5ms, output latency 4ms.

Don't use the GX (or anyone that's using any Line 6 hardware interface) that way.

I have the Pod Studio GX as well. Open Pod Farm first then Record. When you create a new audio track and select the appropriate inputs in the mix channel that you want (you can have multiple inputs from Pod Farm's mixer and depending on mono or stero), you can record your guitar and monitor all tracks without latency all day long. I've used the GX and recorded 10 or so tracks just to test and never once had a latency issue.

The best use for the INTERNAL Line 6 interface is for mixing AFTER tracking if you need to add something.

Add all the audio tracks you want and have fun latency free.

gentleman1 2010-01-18 13:54

thanks for yur reply,

i have tried your suggestion. pod farm and record are both open and i select one of teh gx inputs to record to signal from pod farm to record. when i perform teh part it sounds fine-its when i play the part back that it seems slightly behind the beat. i seem to be having this problem wether i run both programs at the same time, or if i use a line 6 insert effect within record.