Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "Penumbra" Instrumental Single (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=122434)

ecopro 2010-04-09 14:38

"Penumbra" Instrumental Single

Hey Ladies & gents, here's an instrumental I composed the other day. I decided to go with two versions on a single release.

http://gemmusic.bandcamp.com/album/p...ginal-versions

Penumbra ('Till Dawn Mix)
- It's a mellow instrumental for those who enjoy the easy stuff.

Penumbra (From Dusk Mix) - It's the Upbeat Electronic/Synthpop version.

This release is very piano oriented, but I was able to incorporate other synths as well.

Enjoy! and as always your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Ed

loveartist2 2010-04-09 20:47

beautiful :)

KIBEJA 2010-04-09 20:56

Ed,

I like them both - similar spirit but divergent styles. Lovely!

I have to say though, that the way they both begin is a bit off putting. It's almost like you dropped the needle onto an LP (age showing). Way to abrupt for my sensibilities.

Other than that, these are winners in my book. Check off 2 for Ed .....

Chris

electricfusion 2010-04-09 21:19

Hi Ed,

here you are showing what atmosphere you can achieve by just adding or leaving out instruments.
Both songs share the same melody but the from dawn mix has a melancholic vibe whereas the from dusk mix is upbeat,sunny and light.
Now i figure out on which instrument the synth @ 1:00 or 1:56 reminds me:
an Harpsichord w/ some reverb attachted to it. ;) (<-nice i really like this one!!)
The piano play is terrific and virtuose.
You chose the other sounds very well i.e. strings and synthies.Combined these result in 2 real pieces of art which i played forward and backward..ok just forward uncounted times.
(i´m the one who´s pressing play all the time :D )
I don´t wanna lose much words on the drums beside...DAMMMN good!!

You really showed your musical skills here and i´m looking forward for more of you.

Cheers

Ingo

Stompp 2010-04-09 22:57

Well these are just lovely! The Dawn mix makes me feel like I am watching some kind of epic space Western. Sean Connery has just chucked a load of space bandits into the airlock and a tear rolls down his cheek as he watches them depressurise in front of his very eyes. Soon the credits will roll, but for now we are left with Sean and the cold, dead depths of space in its infinity. With space tumbleweed! Anyway. What this all boils down to is that the Dawn mix is atmospheric, cinematic, and utterly beautiful. I love the way you have juxtaposed the organic elements with loads of interesting and unusual sounds, it works a treat. The Dusk mix feels so different by comparison, yet similarly epic and the production is awesome. Now Sean is thumping his chests in ape-like glory and screaming the cry of Outland victory! I really love the drums in this, especially the variation in the hits you are using, and the little squelchy synths sitting in the background are delicious. Nice fills, too! :D Excellent stuff Ed, I approve!

petegwatson 2010-04-10 01:14

Hey Ed,

very nice tune, I liked the second one a bit more... but both are lovely.... Pete :)

JockDynamite 2010-04-10 01:27

Ed my friend, I enjoyed both equally and agree with Ingo how subtle differences can create a world of change. Sheer synth goodness with a quirky epic vibe that kept me hooked and smiling. :)

Pete

SoftEnerji 2010-04-10 04:37

Way ta go Ed! Two great tracks and I can't pick a favourite between them. Very nice work mate!

Cheers

Mark

ecopro 2010-04-10 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveartist2 (Post 710193)
beautiful :)

Thank You.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIBEJA (Post 710197)
Ed,

I like them both - similar spirit but divergent styles. Lovely!

I have to say though, that the way they both begin is a bit off putting. It's almost like you dropped the needle onto an LP (age showing). Way to abrupt for my sensibilities.

Other than that, these are winners in my book. Check off 2 for Ed .....

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll probably just leave the piano by itself there @ the beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsensef (Post 710208)
Hi Ed,

here you are showing what atmosphere you can achieve by just adding or leaving out instruments.
Both songs share the same melody but the from dawn mix has a melancholic vibe whereas the from dusk mix is upbeat,sunny and light.
Now i figure out on which instrument the synth @ 1:00 or 1:56 reminds me:
an Harpsichord w/ some reverb attachted to it. ;) (<-nice i really like this one!!)
The piano play is terrific and virtuose.
You chose the other sounds very well i.e. strings and synthies.Combined these result in 2 real pieces of art which i played forward and backward..ok just forward uncounted times.
(i´m the one who´s pressing play all the time :D )
I don´t wanna lose much words on the drums beside...DAMMMN good!!

You really showed your musical skills here and i´m looking forward for more of you.

Cheers

Ingo

Hey Ingo, I'm glad you caught the vibes of the 2 versions. On the Piano playing well....I wish I had the virtue of playing my melodies with ease (like Mizimo), but I fixed a lot of parts by way of comp editing. Thanks for the compliments though, they mean a lot.

Ed

ecopro 2010-04-10 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stompp (Post 710230)
Well these are just lovely! The Dawn mix makes me feel like I am watching some kind of epic space Western. Sean Connery has just chucked a load of space bandits into the airlock and a tear rolls down his cheek as he watches them depressurise in front of his very eyes. Soon the credits will roll, but for now we are left with Sean and the cold, dead depths of space in its infinity. With space tumbleweed! Anyway. What this all boils down to is that the Dawn mix is atmospheric, cinematic, and utterly beautiful. I love the way you have juxtaposed the organic elements with loads of interesting and unusual sounds, it works a treat. The Dusk mix feels so different by comparison, yet similarly epic and the production is awesome. Now Sean is thumping his chests in ape-like glory and screaming the cry of Outland victory! I really love the drums in this, especially the variation in the hits you are using, and the little squelchy synths sitting in the background are delicious. Nice fills, too! :D Excellent stuff Ed, I approve!

:DSean connery huh? I like the way you put it.

Thanks for approving and for listening Tom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegwatson (Post 710260)
Hey Ed,

very nice tune, I liked the second one a bit more... but both are lovely.... Pete :)

Thank you Pete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theauteurist (Post 710263)
Ed my friend, I enjoyed both equally and agree with Ingo how subtle differences can create a world of change. Sheer synth goodness with a quirky epic vibe that kept me hooked and smiling. :)

Pete

I'm glad you enjoyed Pete! Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftEnerji (Post 710298)
Way ta go Ed! Two great tracks and I can't pick a favourite between them. Very nice work mate!

Cheers

Mark

I appreciate that Mark!