Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nausea (Prog Metal) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=122530)

petegwatson 2010-04-12 00:49

Nausea (Prog Metal)

Mix number 1
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3773027
Before anyone gets the idea that i'm off to slash my wrists, the words were inspired by Nausea (JP Sartre). It is a shameless imitation of Porcupine Tree/Riverside/Pink Floyd. I hope haven't borrowed too much. Pete :)

EDIT - Mix number 2
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3781486

EDIT - Mix number 3
http://web.me.com/petegwatson/Pete_M...17_Nausea.html or
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3820988
This might be the final mix but maybe one more if a new drum part is done. I changed the bass, added some extra backing vocals, changed the vocal and drum mix and tweaked a bit of guitar.

zZepoD 2010-04-12 05:48

Man I really, really like this one Pete. Guitar sound(s) are great as always. It sounds like you still have more plans for this one so I'm looking forward to the finished product. One quick suggestion maybe would be a deeper Nick Mason type kit :)

Regards,
Tony

SoftEnerji 2010-04-12 12:14

Pete, if this is a first mix I can't wait to hear the final version. I'm definately hearing a Floyd influence and Tony's suggestion of a Nick Mason kit is bang on. I'm also hearing Tool in there somehow:)

For a man that reckons he can't sing your voice works really well with this.

Top stuff mate.

Mark

Jagwah 2010-04-12 12:38

yup lyrics are great! Nice tune overall, sounds pretty much done to me. Definately hear Floyd in there but its all good, its not over the top and still original :)

Ixus 2010-04-12 16:07

Nice! Really like the guitar work here!

overall very enjoyable, and sounds clean, Sweet :D

techfix 2010-04-12 16:54

Really like the bass tone on this track. Vocals have the perfect amount of reverb/delay on them. Has some epic moments throughout. I thought the mix was spot on.

KIBEJA 2010-04-12 19:55

Wowsy, wow Pete,

Fooking nice track!! Your guitar sounds awesome and the journey through this song was a wonderful trip. I think your voice suits this style very well, but I did feel that you could do more with it. At times the pitch is a little out but that's okay when the vox is processed a little more. It's really when your voice has less fx's that I think pitch becomes more obvious. I thought you could add some harmonies to the lead vox as well. That would add a nice dimension to the tune.

This really is going to be awesome after you've done all your tweaking - I can't wait!!

Chris

RCX-1030 2010-04-12 20:13

Hi Pete,

really like this alot...i can hear that its a balancing act, you dont make it esay on yourself do you ?!!
nice guitar work as usual and if i can offer any advice it would be to get those vocals up there a bit more ( easier said than done i know )...and by that i think i mean not in volume just punchyness ( ooh a new word ). hope that makes sense.

top work...lets see where you get with this one, it'll be interesting.

regards
danni

ps..i remembered why i don't have a chromatic harp when i saw the prices...but hey i gotta have one... so when i got it home it appeared i had visited the wrong "market stall" and found myself trying to play a stick of rather floppy rhubarb...it was in the key of G though :D...but made no sound :(
tee hee ;)

petegwatson 2010-04-12 20:30

[QUOTE=scouterscout;Man I really, really like this one Pete. Guitar sound(s) are great as always. It sounds like you still have more plans for this one so I'm looking forward to the finished product. One quick suggestion maybe would be a deeper Nick Mason type kit :) Regards, Tony[/QUOTE]

Hi Tony, thanks.... I wasn't convinced by the drum kit on the track... I did like it for my last track, but you are right it is not light for this. I will also replay some of the patterns. It actually changed a bit after mastering so I will bear that in mind on the next version..... if you felt inspired and want to play a drum track to this, I would be happy to forward a file.... probably just with midi bass and piano or a mix without drums..... just a thought....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftEnerji
Pete, if this is a first mix I can't wait to hear the final version. I'm definately hearing a Floyd influence and Tony's suggestion of a Nick Mason kit is bang on. I'm also hearing Tool in there somehow:). For a man that reckons he can't sing your voice works really well with this. Top stuff mate. Mark

Hi Mark, thanks you are also right on the drums.. Thanks for the comments on the voice... melodyne is my friend... but a bit more to do.... see below,,,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagwah
yup lyrics are great! Nice tune overall, sounds pretty much done to me. Definately hear Floyd in there but its all good, its not over the top and still original :)

HI Jagwah, thanks for listening and your kind comments

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ixus
Nice! Really like the guitar work here! overall very enjoyable, and sounds clean, Sweet :D

Hi Ixus, glad you liked the guitars, I know you produce excellent metal riffs.... speaking of which, I haven't seen anything from you for a while... when's your next track coming out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by techfix
Really like the bass tone on this track. Vocals have the perfect amount of reverb/delay on them. Has some epic moments throughout. I thought the mix was spot on.

Hi techfix, thanks... I just thinking of changing the bass, partly as different drum kit might affect it, but I'll leave it in for the next mix.... also looking forward to your next track.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIBEJA
Wowsy, wow Pete, Fooking nice track!! Your guitar sounds awesome and the journey through this song was a wonderful trip. I think your voice suits this style very well, but I did feel that you could do more with it. At times the pitch is a little out but that's okay when the vox is processed a little more. It's really when your voice has less fx's that I think pitch becomes more obvious. I thought you could add some harmonies to the lead vox as well. That would add a nice dimension to the tune. This really is going to be awesome after you've done all your tweaking - I can't wait!! Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback. As usual you are quite correct. The first vocal section is going to be redone... even with Melodyne I couldn't fix the tuning. There are two vocal harmony track (but muted at the moment) because they didn't work and I wanted to redo that section... but I think they will sound good when I get the tuning right.....

Thanks to all for providing feedback, I really value comments on areas that could be improved which help confirm what I was thinking or point out thinks I had missed. I have found it a great learning experience and I think my production has improved a lot from getting feedback on this forum... so thanks again.

Regards

Pete

petegwatson 2010-04-12 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by danni (Post 711279)
Hi Pete, really like this alot...i can hear that its a balancing act, you dont make it esay on yourself do you ?!! nice guitar work as usual and if i can offer any advice it would be to get those vocals up there a bit more ( easier said than done i know )...and by that i think i mean not in volume just punchyness ( ooh a new word ). hope that makes sense. top work...lets see where you get with this one, it'll be interesting. regards danni

Hi Danni, thanks for the feedback. I will increase the volume on the chorus bits and I will add a bit more grit (scream unit) to the louder bits... I did want to have a contrast between the sections... So I'll see how that goes.....

Regards
Pete

ps Crumble?