Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Record 1.0.1 Download Size (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=123024)

alexleonard 2010-04-28 07:55

Record 1.0.1 Download Size

Hey there,

I was very pleased to see a Propellerheads post in my RSS reader this morning announcing 1.0.1. On arriving into the office I instantly opened the full post and was about to click download when I saw;

Download Record
Windows, 1.1Gb

1.1Gb? Seriously? What's the story? What could possibly be the logic behind requiring a complete download of a 1.1Gb file? Not even from the point of view of hassle to your end-users but surely your bandwidth costs must be insane? I find it impossible to believe that it was out of the question to offer a smaller download. The last Reason update was 153Mb, and if memory serves me right, previous Reason updates were of a similar small size.

Whilst obviously net access has improved a lot in the last few years, and download speeds are better across the board. However I'm currently located in Cambodia where net isn't exactly great. For me to download this with any comfort of it succeeding I'll be asking my business partner in Ireland to download it to our home server to which I will then connect over SFTP and download from there to ensure the ability to resume.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely and totally love your software. I think Record is an excellent progression and I have been using it exclusively for recent production of new tracks. It would take a lot more than a large download to vex me. I'm just baffled as to why?

I recently downloaded a ProTools LE 8.0.3 update. It was 943Mb. That also baffled me immensely. Cubase patches tend to be between 50 and 150Mb. I consider a patch release as something like 1.0.x+1, and it makes sense to me that such a patch would be replacing the .exe and some related programme files.

Anyway, it's a bit of a long rambling rant there. Have no fear, I still love your products, this just surprised me!

Cheers,

Alex

alexleonard 2010-04-28 08:05

And you totally should be offering this as a torrent (seeing as it's an open download to anyone). That could save you an immense ammount in bandwidth costs!

Notacet 2010-04-28 08:18

it's 1.1GB because it's the full software size. they don't have patching implemented yet I guess, so they make you download the whole thing. Also, "check for updates" doesn't work within the Record, it says no updates.

alexleonard 2010-04-28 08:33

I guess they don't have patching implemented. It just surprises me that they don't. I'm awaiting the waking up of my business partner so he can start downloading to our home server and then I'll get downloading to Cambodia.

nites 2010-04-28 14:34

Yes its a complete download. Not a patcher/updater/installer.

phasys 2010-04-28 14:40

The things that people come up with to complain about...

digifxsolutions 2010-04-28 17:15

The complaint is totally justified - a software development company should not issue such huge updates dependant on every individual component part before it will unzip and install correctly. They could, after all, just issue the new updated files for separate download and it is curious and counter-productive not to do so. I have a BT broadband connection in the UK which is not always stable for some reason - I have downloaded the Record 1.01 update several times through various connections and still it fails to unzip and install correctly. Propellerhead are being unfair to their long-standing customers and I have been one since Reason v.1.0.
Regards,
Keith

phasys 2010-04-28 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by digifxsolutions (Post 715854)
The complaint is totally justified - a software development company should not issue such huge updates dependant on every individual component part before it will unzip and install correctly. They could, after all, just issue the new updated files for separate download and it is curious and counter-productive not to do so. I have a BT broadband connection in the UK which is not always stable for some reason - I have downloaded the Record 1.01 update several times through various connections and still it fails to unzip and install correctly. Propellerhead are being unfair to their long-standing customers and I have been one since Reason v.1.0.
Regards,
Keith

No, it is NOT justified. It's easier to just make a complete new package and make it available for download. It also causes less problems. Other manufacturers do exactly the same, and for a good reason. It's just a silly complaint. It's almost like people just HAVE to find something to bitch about, these days. Next thing you know, they're going to complain that their Winzip trial expired so they want it in RAR format, or something similary irrelevant. And any file can corrupt on a download. Even smaller ones. So they also wouldn't work. So the size doesn't matter. It's just a matter of a little patience, and I think that THAT's the origin of this problem.

digifxsolutions 2010-04-28 18:09

Tut tut dear boy I think you do have a problem - calm down dear!!!!

RCX-1030 2010-04-28 18:13

i wish to complain also..i think the size is ridiculous. i was expecting at least 3.3 GB and had shut off all communication from china just so i could download it...the chaiman wasn't happy....he was googling at the moment i threw the switch.

oh and wtf.. :

....my winzip trial has run out and i want it in rns format but my raid capability has zero'd out the motherboard facility.

doesn't anything get handed on a silver platter these days ?

wrung foo dung
danni