Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Synth or Drum pre-sets (how to emulate sounds) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=123445)

Sooper8 2010-05-10 13:12

Synth or Drum pre-sets (how to emulate sounds)

Hi Folks,

I am not totally new to Reason but I am pretty fresh at it and forgive me if I don't know the correct way to phrase this but here goes...

I am looking to get some classic old synth sounds and possibly drum sounds with Reason- in particular I want to get sounds from certain old records that I am a fan of.
For example the synth sounds on Rose Royce, Love don't live here Anymore, the drum machine sound on early prince songs and so on.(not to remake the song but use those sounds within my stuff), Stevie Wonder keyboard and so on.

I wonder if there is anywhere that people offer 'settings' or such like? I was a big user of the Line 6 Pod with my guitar and we used to share settings for certain songs. So, it was a sharing of info rather than re-fills or files.

I am too basic a Reason user to find them myself and I realise there wont be re-fills for these things.

Is there a place people might share such info on getting a certain synth/drum/ sound from a certain song?

I also wondered having just got 'Record' if anyone is sharing line 6 guitar amp settings in the same way as I used to do in years gone by?

Thanks in advance

Jem

Truhse 2010-05-10 13:40

Mh, try to google which equpiment the producers used in this time and then look for Refills or wave-samples from that device. For example if you like the Beatles then google will tell you they produced in the abbey road studios.

If you google a bit further you will maybe find soundpacks, refills or samples with that name...... I used this example cause it was easy for me since I got the Abbey Road Keyboards.....

Sooper8 2010-05-10 14:25

Cheers...

Yes...I too got the Abbey Road set and when you run Lady Madonna or Strawberry Fields keyboard midi through them they are un-believably spot on, and that is without any setting up reverb or messing with them.

I do love the Beatles but am after recreating some of those vintage pop synths and drums and thought there might be a short cut.

I often see re-fills where the name of the individual samples is a play on the title of a song in which the instrument was used (ie in Abbey Road they call it Mad On A Lady and one of the pre sets in line 6 guitar amp in Record is called Bottled Message or something similar- no prizes for guessing what song/sound/style that emulates!)

Do you know if anywhere has started sharing line 6 amp settings (as used to happen with the 'real' line 6 Pod users?)

Regards
Jem

ps maybe I am being a bit lazy and should get myself over to gearslutz.com to check out the producers section and dig around and look what instruments they were using, you are right.