Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Working Out Your Ideal Musical Style? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=123455)

deepndark 2010-05-10 20:34

Working Out Your Ideal Musical Style?

Like some of you know I've just released my album. I have got many levels up and a lot more closer to the style i'm after. I'm very glad I did this album as making an album had a positive effect on me. My big brother has also noticed my progress and he likes the idea to make another album in row. I have a vision for my next album, thanks to "Mutant Minds" And if everything goes right, I will raise few levels up again.

How about you? How satisfied you are of your music you've created and are you developing your own ideal style?

As side note I'm writing a producing article which may be interesting for some of you to read. It's a guide to develope your own style and level up as a producer.

Happy producing guys n girls ;)

techfix 2010-05-10 21:44

I'm constantly torn on creating my style. I have this hang-up that I need to create something totally and completely unique, but I am dealing with it without it becoming a show-stopper. It seems like with every track I complete, I think "I'm going to create more songs in this style and put out an EP..." Then I start a new track and it comes out different than I expected. Not that an EP or album really has to keep to a single vibe/genre, but I think some cohesiveness helps.

pushedbutton 2010-05-10 22:37

When the screaming in my head stops I know to hit save.

KIBEJA 2010-05-10 23:32

There is so much music that I enjoy, that I find myself torn as to what to produce next. This tends to make my style "eclectic" - does that count as a style?

Chris

deepndark 2010-05-10 23:45

I also enjoy lot of the music but i've stopped making so angry and dark stuff over the years, i guess it's a sign of getting older. :)

PapaPajamma 2010-05-11 04:31

I put very little thought into issues like style when it comes to the music I create by myself. I see this as my style. An anything goes style. I do have a few staples but they usualy fall out.

I love how you can create in so many styles and do it so well.

Another album in the works eh!! geewizz your motivated dude.

:D

Ron

JockDynamite 2010-05-11 04:39

Good topic Heikki!

These days I'm finding it easier to 'pre-visualise' stuff before I actually sit down to compose. I guess what I'm trying to say is, these days I'm more in tune with what I like and can understand what has influenced me, and apply these influences to my vision of what a track should be.

A few years back, I'd give anything a go, and was more likely to produce angrier, aggressive music. There's no doubt that things start to mellow once you leave your twenties. :)

After years of plugging away, I finally feel like I'm finding my feet stylistically. It feels good. ;)

Pete

aleph888 2010-05-11 04:45

For years I wrote music without any regard to stylistic constraints, and my music was fairly diverse, only really tied together by my tastes, creative limitations and musical abilities.

Within the last year I have focused my production within specific genres, and surprisingly (to me, at least), I have felt that my creativity and production skill level has increased quite a bit - moreso than I would have expected.

There is something liberating about working within constraint. I think it forces one to be more creative.

I am sure that I will go back to an "anything goes" approach at some point, but for the time being I'm really appreciating the creative focus that working within specific styles has fostered.

JockDynamite 2010-05-11 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleph888 (Post 719814)

There is something liberating about working within constraint. I think it forces one to be more creative.

I agree with this 100%!

:)

ecopro 2010-05-11 15:39

I agree with Pete's thoughts on this one!

I've also evolved with the music I listen to, and the music I create. Most of the time I just go at it, sort of like an impulse, that pushes me to compose something. I can't say how many times I've gathered ideas that came from just playing around with the keyboard. So there isn't really a set style for me, there are many elements within that make it "Eclectic" like Chris says. It is really difficult for me to say, "you know what?.... today, I'm making Techno, or House, or SynthPop, ect". I start something and it turns out to be completely different at the end. That is why is not easy for me to make an album that is solely on 1 genre (I'm going through that right now).

Well Heikki, your work shows styles that are non-linear, So you have done well in choosing your tracks.
Keep working with those different styless man, that is very inspiring to us all! https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ons/icon14.gif

So until the next Album!!....(I wanna see a Physical CD for sale, next time);)

Peace,

Ed