Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recording troubles in Record - computer upgrade advice needed (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=123734)

Glottis 2010-05-17 08:00

Recording troubles in Record - computer upgrade advice needed

Hi all,

so we decided to get rid of our AW1600 hardware recorder and go with Record for recording our band. Last weekend I bought a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R, which can record up to 8 channels simultaniously. Also I ordered a copy of Record for Reason owners. But I couldn't wait and we tried things out with the demo of Record last night. When we were recording 8 channels everything seemed just fine, but after about 30 seconds a message popped op, indicating that the system is too slow for recording and then aborting the recording session. I know the computer we use is not the fastest in the world. We will use it only for recording and then edit it on a different (faster) computer.

The computer is a Celeron at 2.2 GHz with 512 MB DDR-RAM running Windows XP. What would you think makes the most sense to upgrade? Is it the memory? 512 MB seems little. The minimum system requirements for Record, as stated on this site are:

• Intel P4 / AMD Athlon XP at 2GHz or better (multiple cores highly recommended)
  • 1 GB RAM or more
Also does it matter much how fast the harddisk is? We might look into that as well. I do think that it is more of a memory/disk related problem. To me it seems that at the start of the recording session, there is nothing wrong. After a few seconds the computer can't write data form memory to disk fast enough (8 channels 24 bit/96 kHz). So I think the best order to try things out is the following:
  • Upgrade amount of RAM to 2 GB
  • Tweak the system to be as fast as possible (any tips on this)
  • Upgrade to faster harddisk
  • Upgrade to faster CPU

drloop 2010-05-17 08:41

Try to record in 44.1khz instead of 96khz.
Is there any reason for you to record 96khz?

Normally there should not be a problem to Record 8 tracks at 44.1khz with any computer made on this side of year 2000.

Disk and memory is probably the biggest problem for your computer.

Chipset can be a problem, some nVidia chipset have been really bad for audio recording.

What is your latency settings?
Try higher latency,

Also I suppose that you record to the system disk which probably also are swapping if you have a lack of primary memory.

Use a separate disk for audio recording, and a 7200rpm disk will assure performance.
If you can have the second disk internally or attached via Firewire that´s the best option for performance. Using USB give slightly lower performance.

clarktw 2010-05-17 08:57

I believe you're correct about the 2GB RAM being priority (512 MB doesn't cut it), and I'm sure the computer jock members will post. Next is to go with a multi-core CPU. Also, with XP make sure that you have Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed. Here are some related threads:

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=122547

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=114489

Edit: And I just saw drloop's post - everything he says goes. I didn't notice you were recording at 24/96, there's no need if you're going to export at 16/44.1 for CD use, especially with your system. I stand by my advice above, but I pass the torch to drloop - he's certainly one of our resident computer jocks.

eladberger 2010-05-17 09:23

Get more RAM... 4Gig of it, not more cuz your computer and Windows XP will not use more then 3-4 Gig RAM anyway, today it's fairly cheap online and get RAM that comes with lifetime warranty.
I hope this will help you

Glottis 2010-05-17 09:36

Well 96 kHz is just the default setting by the M-audio driver of the Fast Track. I will try to record at 44 kHz. Also one of the band members has some spare RAM modules, so we will try that.

As for tweaking the system for performance I will try to mess around with the ASIO settings, as suggested by drloop. Any other suggestions on this?

althemusic 2010-05-17 11:54

A Celeron really isn't up to Record if you're going to do serious work.

If all you're after is recording 8 tracks of 16 bit @ 44.1 without using any of the rack, then you should be ok. If you have spare ram modules knocking around you could try upgrading the RAM to 2Gb, but if you have to buy it, then you might be better upgrading the computer.

Al

Glottis 2010-05-17 13:52

Yeah, I know by now it isn't up to it. But all I will do with this computer is record 8 channels of audio over USB 2.0. Editting will be done on a different computer, but I'm not going to take it to our rehearsal room all the time. I hope it will work with the added RAM and a bit of tweaking.

phasys 2010-05-17 14:28

A Celeron is a weak type of processor. It lacks the power to do any serious multimedia or gaming on it. That includes working with stuff like Record. Record is a brand new application and it's not as lightweight as Reason.

So a CPU upgrade is vital. But any "normal" Core 2 Duo cpu should work (as long as they're not a Celeron), so you really don't need the fastest/latest/most expensive.

You need to find out if your motherboard can be upgraded (if you can install different processors on it). That way, you can just buy a used chip off ebay, or whatever, and install it on your current motherboard.

And yes, 512 Mb of RAM is really not enough nowadays. Record uses a lot more.

bushrat53 2012-05-10 19:00

I have similar problems. Using "Record" through a Line 6 UX2 Interface, I am running Windows7 with 1.5 Gig of Ram & 2.8 Ghz I have sound dropouts and latency problems which seem to come and go as they please. I have been told by the guys on here that i need more Ram and a faster processor and that Windows 7 is not helping things with my present setup, best of luck............

Grumbleweed 2012-05-10 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushrat53 (Post 1050698)
I have similar problems. Using "Record" through a Line 6 UX2 Interface, I am running Windows7 with 1.5 Gig of Ram & 2.8 Ghz I have sound dropouts and latency problems which seem to come and go as they please. I have been told by the guys on here that i need more Ram and a faster processor and that Windows 7 is not helping things with my present setup, best of luck............

This thread is 2 years old. I'm sure the OP has moved on to a better spec computer, as must you....

Grum.