Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can I open Reason Separately from Record? and Record with Pro Tools? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=124903)

JMRobins 2010-06-02 13:59

Can I open Reason Separately from Record? and Record with Pro Tools?

Hey all,

Firstly, sorry if this is blindingly obvious, but I've trawled the site and the net and can't seem to get a clear answer on this. If I install Record on my Mac, will I still be able to open Reason as a separate program if I want to? I collaborate with a few people who only use Reason, so I would want to be able to work on Reason specific projects with them, if I couldn't it would be a bit of a drag.

Secondly, I'm wondering if I need Record? I make both purely electronic music in reason, and more audio based music, which I record in Pro Tools, sometimes using elements of Reason via Rewire. Pro Tools is excellent for recording audio and I can't imagine ever switching from it and indeed I'm aware that Pro Tools and Record are aimed at totally different uses. Also if I'm really serious about something I've made in Reason I tend to rewire it all into Pro Tools and do the final mix there anyway, which likewise I don't think I'll change.

However I'm thinking about getting Record for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I can't use Pro Tools when I'm out and about because you need the hardware for it to work, so thought Record would be a good solution if was working on a remix or something and wanted to just chop the audio in there and then rewire or transfer it to pro tools later. Secondly unless I'm mistaken, if I get Record for Reason users now, I'll get a free upgrade to Reason 5 when it comes out and essentially have got record for about £40, which seems a bargain.

So, thanks for reading that rant. Basically I'm saying, is Record worth it in terms of features and if I decide I don't need to use it, but have it installed, will it effect me just using Reason on it's own?

By the way, I'm excited about Reason 5, Kong looks brilliant, especially as a Hip Hop/Dub Step lover.

Cheers

J.

gorkomatic 2010-06-02 14:06

Yep, you can open Reason by itself, no problemo.

Truhse 2010-06-02 14:20

But I think he means simultanous but not linked to each other... I am not sure about that.

mattias800 2010-06-02 14:33

Reason is still a stand alone application, like Record is. Record will show all Reason devices when running if you specify your Reason application path.

So, you can run Reason stand alone, or Record stand alone, or Record with all Reason devices included.

If you are happy with Reason+Pro Tools then there is no reason to get Record in my opinion. You get lots of stuff that Pro Tools already provide.

Personally though, I'd go with Reason+Record over Reason+Pro Tools every time :)

JMRobins 2010-06-02 15:46

Thanks for the info. That's good that I can keep using Reason as a separate program. I might get Record just in case as it's only gonna cost a bit more than just getting a Reason 5 upgrade and I guess that's worth it for the line 6 modules? And if I don't use it that much I've not lost much. I'm definitely getting Reason 5 whatever happens.

Cheers

J.

gorkomatic 2010-06-02 16:00

Sounds good man. Have fun makin' music. That's the most important thing. :D

mattias800 2010-06-02 16:01

The Line 6 devices are absolutely worth it if you have Line 6 hardware. Otherwise I'm not sure, you can get better amps in Pro Tools than the stock ones in the Line 6 devices.

clarktw 2010-06-02 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMRobins (Post 735636)
... If I install Record on my Mac, will I still be able to open Reason as a separate program if I want to?... I'm wondering if I need Record?... if I get Record for Reason users now, I'll get a free upgrade to Reason 5 when it comes out and essentially have got record for about £40...

As all say above: yes, Reason opens alone. If you also have Record (R+R), then the only time you would ever want to open Reason alone is to work on and export a .rns file for collab'. R+R creates .record files (not .rns or .rps files). You can create a .rns file in Reason alone, then open it in R+R and save it as a new .record file. So, you've got the same song in both formats: to work with in Reason alone or in R+R.

You seem to have a good handle on where you're at and where you want to go. Keep your Pro Tools setup; get the Record for Reason Owners package now so that you’ll get the free Record 1.5 in a few months as well as the free Reason 5.0 (and have R1+R4/Reason 4000 in the meantime). Neptune is only in Record 1.5, along with the SSL mixer and other goodies. Here's the price comparison info: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showpost.php?p=733005&postcount=8 .

With you then having R+R and Pro Tools, it's like having a Mercedes and a BMW. You may drive one on one day and the other on the next day, and you may gradually end up leaving one in the garage or selling it. With R+R and Pro Tools, though, you can also stack one on top of the other. (Huh?)