Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pimp my PC vs. Mac Daddy (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=125566)

brickbeatz 2010-06-15 01:41

Pimp my PC vs. Mac Daddy

Can anyone sway my love for PC? I plan on putting my set up on steroids ( new mother board, 4cores, 6gigs, + another 500 gigabyte hard drive, XP(sp3) to Windows 7 )

Or should I get an Imac and then make my upgrades accordingly

Record + Reason is my work horse but I would love to learn logic. To the best of my knowledge there’s no difference in the audio quality (between Mac vs. Pc).

Is it true that Mac utilizes ram more efficiently for example: XP only recognizes up to 3 gigs

I’m perfectly capable of making an educated decision. There’s a lot of audio savvy dudes on the forum... please enlighten me

thx

phasys 2010-06-15 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickbeatz (Post 742348)
Can anyone sway my love for PC? I plan on putting my set up on steroids ( new mother board, 4cores, 6gigs, + another 500 gigabyte hard drive, XP(sp3) to Windows 7 )

Or should I get an Imac and then make my upgrades accordingly

Record + Reason is my work horse but I would love to learn logic. To the best of my knowledge there’s no difference in the audio quality (between Mac vs. Pc).

Is it true that Mac utilizes ram more efficiently for example: XP only recognizes up to 3 gigs

No. And besides, the amount of RAM being used and/or recognized by the operating system has NOTHING do to with EFFICIENCY.

Anyway, all 32 bit operating systems can only recognize up to 3.2 GB of RAM. So if you go for Windows 7 64 bit you can put as much RAM in it as it can handle and all of it will be available.

If you're used to Windows, and happy with it, I would stick with it.

dreampolice 2010-06-15 03:40

"the amount of RAM being used and/or recognized by the operating system has NOTHING do to with EFFICIENCY"

umm yes it does, in fact unix based operating systems handle memory allocation in a much more efficient way than Windows based systems. OSX is based on the BSD kernel and that is based on UNIX so yes OSX does USE memory more efficiently than windows. But I do agree if you like windows stick with it. But if you want to learn Logic get a Mac.

doinky 2010-06-15 03:41

All the reasons you mentioned for changing, phasys is right. Won't make a difference if you use PC or Mac.

And sure, go nuts on your computer, but don't expect ram to be the big kicker, get more processor first, then ram if you so need it.

doinky 2010-06-15 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampolice (Post 742377)
"But if you want to learn Logic get a Mac.

Question, why is it better to learn logic on a mac?

phasys 2010-06-15 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampolice (Post 742377)
"the amount of RAM being used and/or recognized by the operating system has NOTHING do to with EFFICIENCY"

umm yes it does, in fact unix based operating systems handle memory allocation in a much more efficient way than Windows based systems. OSX is based on the BSD kernel and that is based on UNIX so yes OSX does USE memory more efficiently than windows. But I do agree if you like windows stick with it. But if you want to learn Logic get a Mac.

I never said that *nix system DIDN'T handle memory more efficiently (however, Windows memory usage has certainly improved over the years), I just said that it didn't have anything to do with the AMOUNT of RAM. But let's not get sidetracked on such details and make all this overly complicated. :)

brickbeatz 2010-06-15 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasys (Post 742389)
I never said that *nix system DIDN'T handle memory more efficiently (however, Windows memory usage has certainly improved over the years), I just said that it didn't have anything to do with the AMOUNT of RAM. But let's not get sidetracked on such details and make all this overly complicated. :)

thx for the info. now im thinking windows 7 64 bit

brickbeatz 2010-06-15 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by doinky (Post 742379)
Question, why is it better to learn logic on a mac?

Isnt logic exclusive to mac?

dreampolice 2010-06-15 06:28

"Question, why is it better to learn logic on a mac?"

Logic is mac only. It is actually made by apple.

doinky 2010-06-15 06:46

Ah!

Ah, then cinches it for breakbeatz then if he wants to learn logic.