Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Product Idea: Sample Farmer/Sampler Patch Auto Builder (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=126399)

danreneer 2010-07-02 20:51

Product Idea: Sample Farmer/Sampler Patch Auto Builder

Okay guys, bear with me for a few seconds. I have an idea for a product and I want to get your feedback. I was brainstorming it and got to a certain point and realized that MIDI out would absolutely blow the top off of it.

The product would be a Reason Patch Sample builder for NN-XT and Kong. It would basically help us farm samples from outboard gear, pianos, stringed instruments etc. I see a typical use case going like this..
  1. Open app (We'll call this application Farmer for now)
  2. Select what type of device you're sampling (Keys, Strings, Drums, Percussion, etc)
  3. Select how many levels of velocity, and number of zones/note granularity
  4. Select Manual or Auto
    1. If Manual,
      1. Farmer asks you to select a starting low note
      2. Farmer asks the user to play lowest key without sustain & lightest velocity
      3. Farmer starts auto recording when signal starts or above a preset threshold
      4. This process repeats to gather all notes at all desired velocities
    1. If Auto,
      1. Farmer starts sending MIDI OUT and recording output
      2. You could basically start the auto process and walk away while it does it's thing
  5. Upon completion, Farmer not only creates an organized sample folder but a ready-to-use device patch (NN-XT, Kong)
Any thoughts? I know this would destroy some commercial sample based refills out there, but it also would create an insane amount of quality free refills available. I think it would be awesome for the Reason/Record community as a whole. Some people would buy it for use with other products, but the auto-building of the Reason device patches might drive some Reason business.

Note: I added this to my feature request list, and renamed it Recapture, since Resampler is taken.

Ander 2010-07-02 21:18

There is a VST that exacly does this, cant remember the name now :(

SSGamelord 2010-07-02 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by danreneer (Post 750743)
Okay guys, bear with me for a few seconds. I have an idea for a product and I want to get your feedback. I was brainstorming it and got to a certain point and realized that MIDI out would absolutely blow the top off of it.

The product would be a Reason Patch Sample builder for NN-XT and Kong. It would basically help us farm samples from outboard gear, pianos, stringed instruments etc. I see a typical use case going like this..
  1. Open app (We'll call this application Farmer for now)
  2. Select what type of device you're sampling (Keys, Strings, Drums, Percussion, etc)
  3. Select how many levels of velocity, and number of zones/note granularity
  4. Select Manual or Auto
    1. If Manual,
      1. Farmer asks you to select a starting low note
      2. Farmer asks the user to play lowest key without sustain & lightest velocity
      3. Farmer starts auto recording when signal starts or above a preset threshold
      4. This process repeats to gather all notes at all desired velocities
    1. If Auto,
      1. Farmer starts sending MIDI OUT and recording output
      2. You could basically start the auto process and walk away while it does it's thing
  5. Upon completion, Farmer not only creates an organized sample folder but a ready-to-use device patch (NN-XT, Kong)
Any thoughts? I know this would destroy some commercial sample based refills out there, but it also would create an insane amount of quality free refills available. I think it would be awesome for the Reason/Record community as a whole. Some people would buy it for use with other products, but the auto-building of the Reason device patches might drive some Reason business.

The auto mode was just genius. This would actually make that kind of sampling very fun to do :D

dub08 2010-07-02 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ander (Post 750753)
There is a VST that exacly does this, cant remember the name now :(

i thought it was "samplit" from those extract dudes?

dub08 2010-07-02 22:37

i like your idea dan,
i think since they have a sampling feature, with editor,
this would seem like a nice addition.

danreneer 2010-07-02 22:54

Keep in mind that the concept includes the auto-building of an NN-XT or Kong patch, which a VST can't do!

Also, auto-mode would require a small amount of MIDI data being sent from the application.. so there's that.

danreneer 2010-07-02 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub08 (Post 750773)
i think since they have a sampling feature, with editor,
this would seem like a nice addition.

I didn't think of it as an addition to the sampling feature (but rather a separate application focused on the sampling process) but I think it could certainly be launched from within a device. So, if you had an NN-XT patch open and wanted to add a velocity layer with some new samples you could launch the process from there. Actually, this would be essential, since you might want to replace a zone or a single sample (with several velocities).

symphonic5 2013-03-19 17:38

Now that we'll have MIDI out, we can do this now!

vanKloot 2013-03-19 18:24

This is a cool idea for anyone who has external MIDI synths that they want to sample and turn into in-the-rack instruments, for whatever reason. I like it a lot, so the question becomes how to build it?

I'm just a web developer so sadly, this isn't something I could contemplate tackling myself. Though I could help with project management and QA if it ever gets to that point. Maybe we make this a community open source effort?

normen 2013-03-19 18:39

Exists already, check the cdxtract homepage. If you were lucky you were also able to buy an outstanding sampler editor called "Keymap Pro" from the App Store before Apple bought the company some year ago whcih can also do that.