Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Better file browser... (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=127712)

marc64 2010-08-03 22:12

Better file browser...

I would want a better file browser where you not only can load the songs or sound or whatever but you can delete, copy, paste, move from folder to folder etc and all things you can do in a traditional filebrowser...

braveness23 2010-08-03 22:30

Amen, brother! The file browser is, without a doubt, the weakest point in Propellerhead products (IMO).

+1

lowlifebware 2010-08-04 00:46

When I consider the possible improvements that could be made to the browser I think of tag based browsing first, and then after that I wouldn't change much else, other than maybe some efficiency changes to make it faster.

The thing about changing folder etc with most of the stuff is that if it is in a Refill or the FSB etc, then you can't move anything because the file format is read only so it's just not possible. You could of course alter the way Refill's work, but that won't make any difference to older files.

For normal file handling outside of Refills it's certainly a good enough suggestion, but I wonder about how much use it would get, and thus how much customer satisfaction.

What other changes would you like to see in this regard, because some may be easier to implement than others.

B

tiftof 2010-08-04 01:48

The browser is extremely outdated compared to the competition (Live, Kore, Omnisphere etc.)
The search function is also extremely slow.

nikolafeve 2010-08-04 03:06

I'm TOTALLY agree with you guys!!!
There's is 2 big problem in reason/record:

-No midi out (everyone knows...)!!! i pray for record 2.0 have it

-The favourites system in the file browser is VERY usefull to make our own database....but, the engine of the file browser is toooooooo slow even if we have a big computer!!
With some folder with a lot a files, i must to wait for about 2 real min! it's fuck my inspiration.
In the first time i think all the folder we add in the favouriste must be indexing like all the browsers of the OS (mac osx, windows 7). we are in 2010 not 1995, come on!!!

juanpierna 2010-08-04 05:18

What we really need a setup like Logic 9. All files should be tagged with metadata and available in a pane within the main window NOT another dialogue box! The tool windows should do the same. And it would be way better to have a single channel strip displayed (the active one) along the far left or right so most of that single strip can be viewed (height wise).

Please Props!!!

One more thing: we really need a midi file player as part of the browser function. I really don't like having to actually load the file to a track and then route it.

ljekio 2010-08-04 10:17

+Agree this thread+

braveness23 2010-08-04 15:02

My personal thoughts on this are as follows:

* I would like to see Propellerhead use the standard file browser dialog of the operating system but extend it however they see fit. This is really not that difficult for a developer to do. And this way it will support all the usability features that we have come to be experts at by virtue of using our platform. I copy and paste and move and rename and type paths in file browser dialogs all the time and I feel like I have my hands tied behind my back without these abilities in Record & Reason.

One thing I cannot stress enough is that I would like for the file browser to better support browsing network locations. I know that this is of little use to many but for those of us who have file servers R&R file browser is a miserable and slow experience. Wanna talk about a productivity killer?

* I would like to see Propellerhead resolve the 'Search' issue by simply tapping into the operating systems search API. Both Microsoft and Apple have absolutely terrific search API's (Desktop Search on Windows and Spotlight on OSX) which make it easy for developers to tap into. Your computer is likely already indexing the location where you keep your songs, instrument patches and refills. Let the OS serve search results right out of its index and the results will be instantaneous.

Propellerhead will likely have to extend the operating system a bit but this is easy. On Windows, for instance, you need to create a simple DLL called an iFilter which teaches the search API what the metadata format of a Refill looks like otherwise the search API skips files types that it does not understand. iFilters are not uncommon and are not difficult to create. Adobe, for instance, provides one so that Windows can index PDF files. One great thing about iFilters is that they can be installed on your Windows file server and even searches on the network get instant results.

* I think the refill file format needs a face lift so that the patches they contain have descriptive tags and metadata. When you do a search for 'Pad' Reason wont find that killer pad you created if you named it 'A Lizard from the Vortex of Jesus'. This doesn't do anything to solve the current problem but future refills could take advantage of it.

Anyway, these are my 2 cents.

mattias800 2010-08-04 16:55

I agree. I like that it looks the same on all platforms, but I don't like that I hate it :)

braveness23 2010-08-04 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattias800 (Post 764528)
I agree. I like that it looks the same on all platforms, but I don't like that I hate it :)

I love the fact that the main windows and instruments look and operate identical on all platforms but it does absolutely nothing for me that the file browser is identical. The only thing it seems to accomplish is the make the documentation clearer.

The Propellerheads have demonstrated that they are the bosses when it comes to designing musical software and workflow. If they can't do the same with a file browser and search functionality they should yield to those who are - the OS manufacturer. It wouldn't be a drawback to the product, it would be an asset.