Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reason/Record Upgrade confusion (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=128409)

slightlyoffbeat 2010-08-23 01:41

Reason/Record Upgrade confusion - Ignition Key Driver Initialization Failed - FIXED

Hello,

I currently have Reason 4, and Record for Reason 1.0. I am about to purchase the Reason 5 upgrade, but there is some confusion as to which upgrade I should get. The FAQ states which upgrade you should buy if you have Reason and Record - but does this include Reason and Record for Reason? The confusion for me is that they exist both as separate applications, and as the Reason/Record for Reason duo. Any help here will be appreciated.
--

See message #12 for the fix. This resolved any question with regard to which upgrade to buy - I installed Reason 5 upgrade, which upgraded Record 1.0 to 1.5. The Initialization Failed error was related to Windows, not Record.

Thanks!

Firkin 2010-08-23 01:46

Yep, same thing. Buy the "Reason 5 Upgrade".

F.

artsandrules 2010-08-23 01:52

You should only have to buy the "Reason 5 Upgrade" box. You already own Reason 4 and Record 1.

I think some of the confusion is that Propellerhead is positioning Record 1.5 like it's something other than a typical free (downloadable) upgrade for existing Record 1 owners, maybe as a way to encourage Record sales. It's being handled pretty poorly in my opinion as evidenced by the number of questions being asked on the forums..

privteer 2010-08-23 02:03

The one you need is "Reason 5 upgrade" that provides you a free upgrade for your Record.

In fact, ALL Record users could have their free upgrade (wich is more a super-update than an upgrade, like Reason 2.5 was) but as Reason 5 is needed to make R+R woking with Record 1.5, you need Reason 5.

This page is usefull : http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5...le&article=faq

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/5143/fasq1.jpg

And this one is easy to understand too if you scroll down a bit ;)

EDIT : sorry, the time needed to make screenshots and upload them made me be late in answer ;)

n0ahg 2010-08-23 02:48

Record standalone can just download 1.5 free of charge. If you upgrade any Reason to 5 then you download the free Record update. Where this fails is people running Reason and Record who want Neptune (free upgrade) but have to upgrade Reason to work with it (non free)

zillis 2010-08-23 06:40

It's confusing, but simple.
I think the main confusion is this:
PH is confident that R+R owners accept Record as part of the Reason experience and want it to stay that way. When a Reason user UPGRADES through PH to Reason 5 - regardless of whether he/she has Record 1.5 or not - - R + R is shipped, encouraging Reason stand alone users to consider the Record for Reason owners upgrade.

Remember when you purchased "Record for Reason owners", PH considers it an upgrade to Reason - not additional software. What you actually got was R + R with a different sleeve over the box - at the "upgrade" price.

So this time, when you "upgrade" to Reason 5, you're going to get the new R+R at an "upgrade" price again.

A Record 1.0 standalone user deciding to purchase Reason 4 or 5 also gets a discount "upgrade" price on Reason, but R+R is what is actually shipped.

Follow the logic?

Firkin 2010-08-23 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by zillis (Post 771617)
Follow the logic?

No, sorry, that makes no sense at all.

F.

zillis 2010-08-23 07:24

I'll try again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firkin (Post 771625)
No, sorry, that makes no sense at all.

F.

When I ordered "Record for Reason Owners", I got R+R. Not some specially packaged version of software, but just R+R. The sleeve (called an O-card in the printing biz) on the box had the "+ Record" symbols, but it was the R+R bundle. The same bundle that costs a PH newbie $500.

Did you get something different?

I don't think there's any difference between Reason, Reason + Record, Record for Reason Owners, or Reason for Record Owners - just different pricing based on how much you've already invested in PH products.

I could be wrong. And perhaps it doesn't seem relevant, but it's not a question of which software to buy, rather how much you'll pay for it, cuz I suspect it's the same package.

slightlyoffbeat 2010-08-28 04:47

Here's what I think the difference is- after reading the responses to this thread. I went out and purchased the Reason 5 upgrade. The Reason 5 upgrade installs just fine. I attempted to download and install the Record upgrade to 1.5, but I keep getting this driver installation error. This may simply be the way that it's supposed to work.

I have (boxes in front of me) Reason 4, Reason 5 Upgrade and Record for Reason Owners. Neither myself, the people responding to my question here, nor the people at Guitar Center could come to understand that if you need to upgrade Record for Reason, apparently, it's a *different* upgrade. So now I'm wondering if propellerheads can do anything to make this right. Guitar Center has made it emphatically clear that they will not accept returns on opened software.

Exowildebeest 2010-08-28 04:55

Slightlyoffthebeat: Isn't the Record 1.5 upgrade on the Reason 5 upgrade DVD? It was on mine and it installed fine (not automatically though, I had to open it from the folder).

I had Record 1 and Reason 4 seperately though. So this probably won't fix your problem, but it might be worth a try.