Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   are mac's better than pc's for music production? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=129358)

auschris 2010-09-01 04:25

are mac's better than pc's for music production?

are mac's better than pc's for music production?

Hi all, i am looking at upgrading my computer to gain the full potential of reason 5 and record 1.5, i have been using pc's for over 10 years now, however i have been looking into the world of mac's as from my observations generally mac's appear to be more used in the music production world. I am currently trying to decide if i continue with pc's or dive into macs? what are the advantages of using a mac? or is it just all hype?

from what i have seen a basic mac book pro cost around $1500AUS
a pc laptop with similar specs is around $1000AUS

i am not concerned about learning a new os as i have been using windows xp and would have to learn windows 7 anyway.

any help would be great.

Chris

penguinoid 2010-09-01 04:33

http://www.tweakheadz.com/Mac_vs_Pc_DAWS.htm
this might help!

Benedict 2010-09-01 04:38

Macs are pretty. They do have reputation for reliability and longevity. My old Macs were always very solid machines. My PCs have rerely been quite so robust but I have bought them for cost reasons. Next machine may well be a Mac again.

I don't think there's any clear cut answer here.

:)

nobeahmon 2010-09-01 04:41

Get the Mac. :)

dreampolice 2010-09-01 04:46

Can you do production work and make amazing music on both? Absolutely, each platform has its strengths and weaknesses.

Macs are by far more used in the studio setting and the music business in general. I run both mac and windows in my home studio and I am a freelance engineer by trade, 100% of the studios I have ever worked at run macs, I never see a PC in a commercial studio only home studio's.

Personally I prefer macs but feel comfortable with either. Macs do seem to just work better with less upkeep, this virus thing is a total non issue, the core audio driver subset that Apple built is fantastic and worlds better than anything on the PC side, minus DAE but you are fairly limited there. And my experience has been that they last longer than a PC. Of course when I am on a MAC I miss samplitude, Sonar but when I am on a PC I miss Logic/DP (and I LOVE Logic)

So use what you feel comfortable with and what works with your brain so you can keep making music :)

braveness23 2010-09-01 05:37

I like to say that the OS wars are over and everyone won.

Frankly there is such feature parity between the two its become hard to even put into words the differences except one is white and the other is slate. If you crop the screen on most apps so you can't see the title bar of the windows you just can't tell if you are on a Mac or PC. I cry BS whenever I hear Mac elites say they have used Mac's since the advent of the stone tablet and they have never had problems.

I have always been a PC guy but when I have engineered at professional studios they have ALWAYS been Mac. I think that is more of an image thing. You don't want to be that one studio that is PC when all the others are Mac. You loose a lot of cred.

Sounds like you are Mac-curious so go for it. But please spare us the religious experience baloney, M'kay? https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ons/icon12.gif

Firkin 2010-09-01 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by braveness23 (Post 780863)
I like to say that the OS wars are over and everyone won.

Indeed. Buy whichever platform you like, they both can do everything you want to do. There are some packages available for only one or the other, but those usually have even better replacements that are specific to the platform you're using.

If you've been happy with Windows, I wouldn't feel any pressure to change unless you've looked at the Mac and like it a lot better.

These days there are an equal number of annoying issues with each option :)

F.

dreampolice 2010-09-01 05:52

Quote:

I have always been a PC guy
Glad you have so much mac experience that you shared your thoughts :)

Quote:

But please spare us the religious experience baloney, M'kay?
Is that directed to me? If so why? Everything I said was pretty factual and balanced.

Honestly what you are doing is the same as what mac users do who have never used a PC bashing something you have no experience in. If you used a mac day in day out for at least a few months up to a year then you would know how much less of a hassle they are. Also Macs are more popular in studios because PT was shit on PC up until about 2001-2002 Now it works great but I think PTHD users are like 90% mac.

That being said Windows 7 rocks, and Microsoft make some amazing products. But for the studio mac is a fantastic tool that works great.

Bretstradamus 2010-09-01 06:02

This question might have gotten crazy answers 10 years ago, but today, it doesn't matter anymore which you use. You can have whatever kind of music production you want and have it tailored to your own tastes, there's no such thing as one OS being better than the other anymore.

braveness23 2010-09-01 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampolice (Post 780874)
Glad you have so much mac experience that you shared your thoughts :)

Is that directed to me? If so why? Everything I said was pretty factual and balanced.

Honestly what you are doing is the same as what mac users do who have never used a PC bashing something you have no experience in. If you used a mac day in day out for at least a few months up to a year then you would know how much less of a hassle they are. Also Macs are more popular in studios because PT was shit on PC up until about 2001-2002 Now it works great but I think PTHD users are like 90% mac.

That being said Windows 7 rocks, and Microsoft make some amazing products. But for the studio mac is a fantastic tool that works great.

No no no no!!! It wasn't directed at you! And it wasn't meant to be contentious as much as it was meant to be snarky.

I used Mac's very very very extensively when I was a professional recording engineer for about 4 years. It was in the Mac Quadra days (1993 - 1997?) and it was all Pro Tools, Sample Cell, Digital Performer, Sound Designer, etc. It was a pretty decent experience, certainly far ahead of its time, but there aren't words to describe how many times the PT hardware would lock up the Quadra. I know the "reboot" sound on a Mac Quadra better than I know my mothers voice. I'm sure they have corrected that by now or they wouldn't be in business.

What I meant was that I have always chosen PC's (and Atari ST's) for my own studio and now more than ever I just don't have much of an opinion about the platforms from a usability standpoint. The OS Wars are over and Everyone Won!

But I do have a cousin and quite a few friends who are nothing short of religious about Mac's to the point of being absurdly annoying, You would seriously get the impression that their farts don't smell and that their shit was worth its weight in gold. When I go to my local coffee shop I am the sole PC in an ocean of Macs and they seriously look at me like "who let this guy in"? I take quite a lot of joy in poking fun at these losers.

Sorry if you thought I was attacking you. Not so! Peace!