Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Peachy Keen - a new tune feat. Pete "Peachy" Watson (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=129828)

KIBEJA 2010-09-06 20:31

Peachy Keen - a new tune feat. Pete "Peachy" Watson

Hi All,

This is a work of mine that has been lying on my laptop for sometime now. I had always wanted Pete "Peachy" Watson to play guitar on it but never felt like I had the tune together enough to ask. Well needless to say, I bit the bullet and asked anyway. I'm glad I did because Pete gave this tune a new life - his playing is exemplar.

Thanks Pete for your amazing talent and your willingness to take this on!!

Also thanks to Stompp, Exode, NSL, and New Atlantis. All these great refills were utilized at some point in this production. Reason/Record rocks!

This definitely pushed the limits of my abilities, so any feedback on the production will be most appreciated.

The tune can be found at: www.kibeja.bandcamp.com and www.soundcloud.com/kibeja/peachy-keen

Chris :)

BTW, that's me on the oboe.

SSGamelord 2010-09-06 20:47

Wow, what a great track! Pete's guitar playing is awesome, production is top notch (for my ears atleast). :)

Nice work Chris! I enjoyed it very much! :D

Cheers,
Sondre

clarktw 2010-09-06 21:23

Chris and Peachy - This is great! The symbiosis of energies is a perfect match. Comments to come, but an initial thought and question if I may:

Chris - You say this “had been lying on your laptop” for some time; had you completed all of your tracks prior to Pete collaborating? I ask because it seems like this must have developed as a progressive effort. In example, Pete’s guitar introduction to the song: was that his addition and then you added the transition, or did he blend it in without you doing modifications?

amyjer 2010-09-06 21:54

Great track! Love the guitar and production.

KIBEJA 2010-09-06 22:14

Thanks Sondre,

I agree, Pete's playing is outstanding. I'm glad that nothing egregious darts out at your ears in terms of production. I found as I was trying to master this, that I had take long breaks in order to let my ears rest. There is a lot going on!

Thanks for your kind words.

Chris

KIBEJA 2010-09-06 22:25

Hi clark,

Thanks!!! I was trying to give this that kind of live feel - you know trading solos on the fly but with a great big pond between us, l0l.

The concept of this tune was already in play before I sent it off to Pete. I knew I wanted a free section in front of the chords. It wasn't all that easy to replicate being so far apart. Pete put up many takes and I tried my best to pare it down but still being true to Pete's style. The tune for the most part was structured and pete added touches accordingly. The last little bass coda was spawned by Pete's idea.

Collaborations are truly an amazing thing and everyone should do it. It pushes one in new directions and makes a better musician on the other side.

Any comments you have on the production will be greatly appreciated. There were a tremendous amount of sonorities floating about in the same frequency range which really taxed my ears over time. Hopefully something good came out of it all. I sure was a pleasure to do.

There is such a wealth of talent here on the forum!!

Thanks again Clark!

Chris

KIBEJA 2010-09-06 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyjer (Post 784932)
Great track! Love the guitar and production.

Thanks - glad you like it and yeah …. GREAT guitar playing!

Chris

Fused 2010-09-06 22:33

Wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

SSGamelord 2010-09-07 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fused (Post 784965)
Wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

In case you haven't noticed, he has released an album called "Harvest Song" (look at his signature). In fact, I have forgot to buy that album, so I'll do it as soon as possible! :D

clarktw 2010-09-07 00:39

I made the wise move months ago of purchasing the "Harvest Song" CD and still play it in the office almost every day. People ask about it all the time. If they haven't purchased it yet, it's because they know they can always hear it in my office. (Chris, sorry about that.)