Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Matrix Evolution (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=129928)

JiggeryPokery 2010-09-08 17:15

Matrix Evolution - Evolved!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Updated with new image!
Added polyphony [given that note cv is mono, to do this either cv has to go poly (obviously) or the MEAPS would need 4 note outs, and all synths four note ins! Probably not gonna happen, but hey... clearly I have way too much time on my hands ;) ]
Added midi step entry
Added per note tie/curve smooth (interpolation) at the bottom of each note
Removed extraneous bits

http://www.jiggery-pokery.com/media/...on_Evolved.jpg
___________________

Original post follows
I've been following Jagwahs' thread about the Thor sequencer and it got me thinking about the way Props might implement an update to Matrix instead. I do use the Thor sequencer quite frequently, but rarely bother with the two curves as they aren't nice to program. Both eX and tift make excellent points on it's pros and cons.

So here's an outline of what I came up with, combining the flexibility of Thors' sequencer with the visual ease of the MAP.

Increasing the height of the module gives us 3 octave view at a time, with a highlight on middle-C.
Radio buttons select from various edit screens - notes or one of 4 curves (routed to 4 CV outs at the back). Each screen can have independent step resolution, steps and bars. Yes, bars! A 16-bar pattern sequencer! Digital display sets the number of bars, lighting them up very purty; clicking on the bar number buttons selects the bar/s to be edited, and changes the LED colour to an even more purty colour.

Gate/velocity is handled in the same way as MAP with bottom section of the visual matrix, rather than a separate edit screen.

Bipolar/Unipolar switch brought to the front panel!

When in a curve edit window, clicking a curve preset draws in that curve at the current resolution (image goes to 1/2, but would need more options than shown, and yes, I included 1/4T ;) ), which can then be further refined as required in the matrix.

The Thor playback options above the pattern select buttons might be a wish too far with varying step resolutions and bar numbers.

A new feature - Record Midi & Loop. With the new MAP in MIDI focus it will record notes/cc to the matrix for the selected number of bars, and auto-looping . This would be Firkin awesome for live performance, allowing us to improvise sequences.

And lastly it introduces a *.matrix file type

jlgrimes 2010-09-08 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynseng (Post 786146)
I've been following Jagwahs' thread about the Thor sequencer and it got me thinking about the way Props might implement an update to Matrix instead. I do use the Thor sequencer quite frequently, but rarely bother with the two curves as they aren't nice to program. Both eX and tift make excellent points on it's pros and cons.

So here's an outline of what I came up with, combining the flexibility of Thors' sequencer with the visual ease of the MAP.

Increasing the height of the module gives us 3 octave view at a time, with a highlight on middle-C.
Radio buttons select from various edit screens - notes or one of 4 curves (routed to 4 CV outs at the back). Each screen can have independent step resolution, steps and bars. Yes, bars! A 16-bar pattern sequencer! Digital display sets the number of bars, lighting them up very purty; clicking on the bar number buttons selects the bar/s to be edited, and changes the LED colour to an even more purty colour.

Gate/velocity is handled in the same way as MAP with bottom section of the visual matrix, rather than a separate edit screen.

Bipolar/Unipolar switch brought to the front panel!

When in a curve edit window, clicking a curve preset draws in that curve at the current resolution (image goes to 1/2, but would need more options than shown, and yes, I included 1/4T ;) ), which can then be further refined as required in the matrix.

The Thor playback options above the pattern select buttons might be a wish too far with varying step resolutions and bar numbers.

A new feature - Record Midi & Loop. With the new MAP in MIDI focus it will record notes/cc to the matrix for the selected number of bars, and auto-looping . This would be Firkin awesome for live performance, allowing us to improvise sequences.

And lastly it introduces a *.matrix file type!


Sounds like great ideas.

MattiasHG 2010-09-08 19:10

Yeah I can definitely get behind this. VERY important with *.matrix imo, that could be a game changer for me since I'm often ridiculously lazy. :)

Bretstradamus 2010-09-08 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynseng (Post 786146)

Bipolar/Unipolar switch [I]brought to the front panel!

Haha, that's all I need. But yes, all these things would be a great update. I feel like a lot of the things people have been asking for could be taken care of if the Props just updated and improved the great synths and modules that R+R already have.

higherpurpose 2010-09-09 00:18

WOW! That is exactly what i have been dreaming about for years now!!!

Great idea. I have posted a few threads on this very topic, but to see a pic of something that i imagined in my head is amazing.

You sir are a genius...

phasys 2010-09-09 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebretisdead (Post 786222)
Haha, that's all I need. But yes, all these things would be a great update. I feel like a lot of the things people have been asking for could be taken care of if the Props just updated and improved the great synths and modules that R+R already have.

Well I suppose they were a little busy with uh... Oh yeah, updating R+R.

JiggeryPokery 2010-09-09 00:58

I didn't mention anything about polyphony in the OP, but hey, if it can be done, why the heck not?

Perhaps have polyphony determined with different colours on the matrix, with a note and gate cv output per voice?

It's interesting that loops and drums got a such a great boost in R5. Given that Props aren't going to redo every module in a single release - and not just due to time constraints, they gotta make a living and spread the joy over several years - I think it's pretty likely the next releases will focus on effects. A "live sequencer" I think is just the sort of the thing they would excel at. MAP is great, has shuffle, but is otherwise somewhat inflexible, Thor sequencer is pretty flexible but lacks shuffle and is slightly unintuitive.

plaamook 2010-09-16 10:15

I posted this on another thread but as I'm really behind this idea I thought I'd list it here too. So here are my ideas so far. Since I can't stand working with th redrum or the kong(yet) Ive alot riding on a new matrix!

In no particular order...
OPTIONAL polyphonic programming. If it's not optional the randomise function will be a mess. Drag velocity and note length at once and with great accuracy like in logic's ultrabeat. KEEP THE RANDOM FUNCTION. Make it dropdown expandable so you can see multiple octaves. Allow 'copy automation to track' function for parameters. Flam function for individual notes. Alt click function to play notes on the sequencer.

I like the other ideas mentioned so far as well. Especially moving the unipolar/bipolar function to the front.

Can't stress keeping the randomise and alter pattern functions enough though.

JiggeryPokery 2010-09-16 10:50

I agree with you on everything except note length dragging. Personally I'd like to see the module kept as a step sequencer. Dragging notes turns it into a rollview, whereby you might as well just enter notes into Reasons' main sequencer. Just my opinion tho ;)

Also, as PJ mentions here https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=130312 , something else I forgot to include in my OP was an "interpolation" facility. Visually the module would look the same, but pressing a button would make Reason interpolate between steps, creating smooth curves

Molec 2010-09-16 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jynseng (Post 786486)
It's interesting that loops and drums got a such a great boost in R5. Given that Props aren't going to redo every module in a single release - and not just due to time constraints, they gotta make a living and spread the joy over several years

Sorry to go off topic here but this is the argument for opening R/R up to external development.

For any further tools to be added to R/R, we're going to have to wait quite some time, whereas if there were developers tools for this platform, "spreading the joy over several years" would no longer be a bone of contention.

And to get back on topic....why limit yourself to a 3 octave visual range? Why not have it resizable, with a slider, much like the sequencer already is?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:08.