Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Alter Blocks in Song Mode (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=130837)

MarkK 2010-09-22 23:11

Alter Blocks in Song Mode

Blocks are cool for setting up the basic framework for the song, but usually you want to alter individual clips within the blocks (like the drums) so that the song is not boring. I know you can alter clips laid over the top in song mode, but that defeats the purpose of blocks. It would be nice to be able to lay down your blocks and then open them up so you can alter them in song mode.

Kronsteen 2010-09-22 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkK (Post 794649)
Blocks are cool for setting up the basic framework for the song, but usually you want to alter individual clips within the blocks (like the drums) so that the song is not boring. I know you can alter clips laid over the top in song mode, but that defeats the purpose of blocks.

Erm. No, that's how you "alter individual clips within the blocks (like the drums) so that the song is not boring".

Quote:

It would be nice to be able to lay down your blocks and then open them up so you can alter them in song mode.
I suspect you've fundamentally misunderstood what blocks are.

MarkK 2010-09-23 00:46

I understand what blocks are. I'm suggesting a new feature would to be able edit blocks from song mode.

Kronsteen 2010-09-23 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkK (Post 794696)
I understand what blocks are. I'm suggesting a new feature would to be able edit blocks from song mode.

In song mode you can already mute tracks within blocks and override segments of blocks. How exactly is this different from 'editing blocks in song mode'?

You want to edit blocks as though they were ordinary clips? How is that different from editing ordinary clips, and therefore not editing blocks at all?

MarkK 2010-09-23 22:51

In SONG mode, clips that were created in BLOCK mode are greyed out (you can't edit them). You can edit them in block mode, but doing so effects all copies of the block.

I would like to be able to edit clips within the blocks when working in song mode. For example, I create a basic song structure with blocks (verse, chorus, verse, etc). Now I would like to change the drum loop a little bit in my verse to give it a more human feel. To do so I would have to create new blocks with the changes, otherwise all copies of the block would be affected.

It would be much more efficient to be able to edit the clips (drum loops) when in SONG mode, rather than have to create new blocks with the changes.

tiftof 2010-09-24 00:20

You have no clue about Blocks. Sorry dude.

modular7 2010-09-24 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkK (Post 795234)
For example, I create a basic song structure with blocks (verse, chorus, verse, etc). Now I would like to change the drum loop a little bit in my verse to give it a more human feel. To do so I would have to create new blocks with the changes, otherwise all copies of the block would be affected.

I'm just getting in to block mode myself, but you can do this already by simply doing the change on top of the block on the section you want to be different.

Watch the videos again and read the manual. You will soon see that what you want to do is already possible.

MarkK 2010-09-24 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by modular7 (Post 795346)
I'm just getting in to block mode myself, but you can do this already by simply doing the change on top of the block on the section you want to be different.

Thanks for the replies. How do you make the change on top of the block? How do I bring up the clip if it's greyed out in song mode? I guess I don't get it. Thanks for your help.

phasys 2010-09-24 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkK (Post 795815)
Thanks for the replies. How do you make the change on top of the block? How do I bring up the clip if it's greyed out in song mode? I guess I don't get it. Thanks for your help.

Just paste a new clip over it.

dmcghee 2010-09-24 23:57

Alter Blocks in Song Mode

After building your song in Blocks. Covert your Blocks arrangement to Song Mode for additional editing.