Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LFO device (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=133057)

Joey2002 2010-11-11 10:19

LFO device

I´m just wondering if it could be useful to have a separate device with maybe 4 or 8 LFO´s for CV tweaking.

What do you think ?

JiggeryPokery 2010-11-11 10:41

I was mulling over this the other day. It would be quite useful - especially if the L of LFO went really bloody low... 0.4 ... 0.3 .... 0.2 - she cannae ta'e much more, cap'ain! - 0.1 ...

I use Thor and Mal all the time for the external LFOs, and recently broke out JBs' automation toolbox which helps a lot.

So how about a 8 knob LFO device - freely routable, so any internal LFO can be routed to control the Rate and/or CV output amount of any other - with 8 CV outs and all the waveforms one could possibly need.

JiggeryPokery 2010-11-11 12:37

http://www.jiggery-pokery.com/media/LFO-1.jpg

Maybe something a little like this? :D

Edit> This is now showing version 2, with lowlifebewares' AMMO suggestion and Selig's modular system. I think 8 slots looks way too busy though. 4 slots, or at a push 6 slots would be better imo.

mind2069 2010-11-11 14:16

jiggery nailed it, I have been thinking about something like this for a while and I cant figure out why they havent done this. cant be that hard to do and in a complex combinator so much easier in the eyes to see what is doing what.

On the same note I would do a filter module (replacing the crappy one) with a double or triple one, a little like 2 or 3 thor selectable filters side by side resulting about the same size as jiggery lfo module. They already have have all the code.

JiggeryPokery 2010-11-11 15:31

http://www.jiggery-pokery.com/media/LFO-1rear.jpg

The backside too!

Pretty basic mockup, but you can see how one LFO could control the rate of another, or with a spider cv as well, several others.

Edit> I've left this as v1, but with the v2 front you can appreciate the back is probably going to look a lot more complex - it would likely need audio in and outs as well

selig 2010-11-11 17:14

As cool as this is, I would still personally prefer a modular approach with different types of LFOs including the existing ones (How 'bout a Thor AND a Malstrom LFO together)! How many times do you need 8 identical LFOs? How many folks have complained about having to use an entire device when they needed a single LFO? What about other LFO approaches, like a draw-able LFO, or additional features like a phase control or an external trigger or a quadrature LFO or an LFO with all waveforms available at once (and separate outs or a wave mixer), or one with pulse width modulation, etc...

PLUS, many folks are asking for advanced CV functions and controls that could be used to build more complex CV chains, and could include advanced envelopes and step sequencers as well.

And once you go down this road you may find yourself asking: what about polyphonic CV devices? What about audio modules from other synths ("they already have the code")? What about a Mod Matrix to tie the modules together? With this approach you CAN have 8 identical LFOs (or just one) IF that's what you needed for a patch! But you could also easily have so much more...

As for going "super low", this was probably a typo but Thor already exceeds 0.1 cps as it goes down to 0.07 cps, which is one cycle every 14 seconds. But what if I told you that you can ALREADY use Thor's LFOs at THREE TIMES as slow a rate? That's one cycle every 45 seconds or so ( approx 0.02 CPS)! Slow enough for you? :-)

Then there's Thor's so-called 'audio' oscillators, which can function as LFOs and go down to almost one cycle every 30 seconds (when coaxed) - and the waveform choices are fairly incredible (and polyphonic) if you haven't already explored these options!

If not you can draw the waves as automation and use Thor to convert to CV (which I've been doing for quite a while now, and it can be useful), BUT these will always be 'global' (monophonic) LFOS.

JiggeryPokery 2010-11-11 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 814966)
As cool as this is, I would still personally prefer a modular approach with different types of LFOs including the existing ones (How 'bout a Thor AND a Malstrom LFO together)! How many times do you need 8 identical LFOs? How many folks have complained about having to use an entire device when they needed a single LFO? What about other LFO approaches, like a draw-able LFO, or additional features like a phase control or an external trigger or a quadrature LFO or an LFO with all waveforms available at once (and separate outs or a wave mixer), or one with pulse width modulation, etc...

PLUS, many folks are asking for advanced CV functions and controls that could be used to build more complex CV chains, and could include advanced envelopes and step sequencers as well.

I quite agree. Like I said, the mock-up was a quickie ;)

Joey2002 2010-11-11 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery (Post 814998)
I quite agree. Like I said, the mock-up was a quickie ;)

Ever thought about a career as "interface designer" ? :-)

Nice prototype . A device like this with different LFO types would be nice.

JiggeryPokery 2010-11-11 20:00

Nah, Selig will always remember the six things I forgot about :p

Joey2002 2010-11-11 20:06

So you should build a team ! :-)