Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   In Mixer, show levels in grey for muted tracks? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=133448)

squint0r 2010-11-22 15:17

In Mixer, show levels in grey for muted tracks?

I find that once I amass a ton of tracks, and I'm soloing tracks to hear out they sound together, I sort of "forget" where everything is since the way they appear in the mixer don't always correlate with the way they appear in the sequencer area.

I noticed when you solo tracks, the levels are only monitored (in the mixer area) on the soloed tracks. The levels bounce up and down, colored green. I thought it'd be cool if for the tracks that are muted, you could still see the levels, but instead of being green, they are grey. That way, you know where the other parts are coming from, so you can easily unmute other parts to slowly bring them in.

Of course, you could just use the sequencer area to do this (it's easy to tell which part has audio playing at that moment), but when you're really interested in levels and sort of trying to mix everything together, you're probably going to be interested in looking at levels and won't want to use the sequencer area as much.

Hmm, I had a hard time explaining that. :)

Bottom line: sometimes I feel lost in my own song, because once I mute a track, ALLLLLLLLL the other tracks go black, and I don't know where anything is. So as my song grows bigger as I add more tracks, progress slows to a crawl because I just get lost a lot.

I could do a image mockup but I hope everyone can visualize what I mean based on this bad description :)

selig 2010-11-22 17:07

+1 (but don't make them gray, just make them VISIBLE!)
This is my complaint as well - MUTED tracks don't show their level in Record (soloing is just the 'muting' of all other tracks), BUT they DO on a REAL SSL! This is quite handy and I use this 'feature' all the time on other consoles/software, and is a huge oversight IMHO. Not only that, the meters are also POST FADER, which means little to me - most of the time I want to know the level of the INPUT to the channel, as I can easily see the 'output' level by soloing the channel and watching the main meters.

A related issues is that the PRE FADER FX sends are POST MUTE - when you mute the channel (or solo another channel) the PRE FADER send is cut off, and again this is not how most consoles including a 'real SSL' work. :-)

I would like to be able to have a button that arranges all the sequencer tracks to match the mixer tracks and vise-versa. Seems I waste much time doing this manually...

dioxide 2010-11-22 17:43

I'd quite like the selected channel strip to be highlighted in a more obvious way. Often by the time I've scrolled to the top where the Gains are I've lost which channel I was working on.

squint0r 2010-11-22 18:07

Quote:

This is my complaint as well - MUTED tracks don't show their level in Record (soloing is just the 'muting' of all other tracks), BUT they DO on a REAL SSL! This is quite handy and I use this 'feature' all the time on other consoles/software, and is a huge oversight IMHO. Not only that, the meters are also POST FADER, which means little to me - most of the time I want to know the level of the INPUT to the channel, as I can easily see the 'output' level by soloing the channel and watching the main meters.

A related issues is that the PRE FADER FX sends are POST MUTE - when you mute the channel (or solo another channel) the PRE FADER send is cut off, and again this is not how most consoles including a 'real SSL' work. :-)
Well I only said make the level animations grey (except for the yellow and red maybe) because if they were all full-color like the soloed tracks, then I might get lost in the same way, but because everything's full-color.

I've never used a real SSL before but your ideas sound good.

Quote:

I would like to be able to have a button that arranges all the sequencer tracks to match the mixer tracks and vise-versa. Seems I waste much time doing this manually...
That sounds like a great idea.

squint0r 2010-11-22 18:10

Quote:

I'd quite like the selected channel strip to be highlighted in a more obvious way. Often by the time I've scrolled to the top where the Gains are I've lost which channel I was working on.
That sounds like a good idea. Yeah, the light blue outline doesn't do the trick sometimes.

Also, it seems like there's an easy way to get from the Mixer to the Sequencer or Rack, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get from the Sequencer or Rack to the Mixer. So sometimes it's difficult to find out what channel you need to be working with in the Mixer for a particular device. I'm more familiar with the sequencer tracks and the rack devices than I am with the Mixer channels, so I often start with the sequencer track or rack device, but since there's no easy way to see which mixer channel they belong to, I often have to do a lot of scanning/hunting around when my songs get big.

Or maybe I'm just missing something??

jlgrimes 2010-11-22 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 818028)

+1.

I agree.

selig 2010-11-22 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovett (Post 818047)
Well I only said make the level animations grey (except for the yellow and red maybe) because if they were all full-color like the soloed tracks, then I might get lost in the same way, but because everything's full-color.

But since the meters are right next to the solo/mute buttons it will be obvious. On other software I've never had a problem telling which tracks were soloed/muted or not, even with full color metering on every track. But it could certainly be an option - the main issue it that there is SOME sort of metering when muted!

squint0r 2010-11-22 19:22

Quote:

But since the meters are right next to the solo/mute buttons it will be obvious. On other software I've never had a problem telling which tracks were soloed/muted or not, even with full color metering on every track. But it could certainly be an option - the main issue it that there is SOME sort of metering when muted!
True. I could live with full-coloring.

geefour 2010-11-24 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 818028)

hi selig,

don`t know if i understand you correctly. (english is not my 1st language)
maybe you already know this...
i use this function all the time: you sort your tracks in the mixer, rack or sequencer... then select all the tracks and then select "sort selected device groups" from the edit menu or track context

copy from the operation manual: page 292

About the “Sort Selected Device Groups” function
When you are working with Device Groups (see “About Device Groups”), there is a very nice feature which allows you
to visually organize and re-order the Device Groups, Main Mixer channel strips and sequencer tracks. With the “Sort
Selected Device Groups” function on the Edit menu, it’s possible to sort Device Groups and Main Mixer channel strips
according to the current sequencer track order - or vice versa, depending on what’s currently selected. To sort the
Device Groups in the rack, and the channel strips in the Main Mixer, according to the current sequencer track order,
proceed as follows:
1. Select a track in the sequencer Track List rack and choose “Select All” from the Edit menu or track context
menu.
Tracks are marked with darker colors to indicate they’ve been selected.
2. Select “Sort Selected Device Groups” from the Edit menu or track context menu.
Now all Device Groups and channel strips in the Main Mixer will be automatically re-ordered according to the cur-
rent track configuration in the sequencer. The topmost sequencer track will have its associated Device Group
moved to the top in the rack. The remaining Device Groups will be re-ordered according to the remaining track or-
der in the Track List. The Main Mixer channel strips will also be re-ordered according to the sequencer track order.

• If you have devices in several rack columns, the sorting will begin in the leftmost rack column and continue to
the right through the rest of the rack columns. The number of devices in each rack column will not be changed.
• If you select several Device Groups in the rack and choose “Sort Selected Device Groups” from the Edit menu
or device context menu, the tracks in the sequencer and the Main Mixer channel strips will be re-ordered ac-
cording to the current Device Group order in the rack.
• If you select several channel strips in the Main Mixer and choose “Sort Selected Device Groups” from the Edit
menu or channel strip context menu, the Device Groups in the rack and the tracks in the sequencer will be re-
ordered according to the current channel strip order in the Main Mixer.

selig 2010-11-24 18:57

Man, I could kick myself! This is exactly what I was looking for - I've only done a few BIG mixes in Record so far (mostly mix in PT), and when I'm writing songs in Record I don't have more than a handful of tracks. But this REALLY helps with songs in the 32 track range, especially when you import them and they are initially arranged out of order. Thanks greatly for this! Yes I know, RTFM next time. :-)

Hey, if you're on a roll, how do you get two mono audio tracks converted to a single stereo audio track (besides recording to a new track in real time)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by geefour (Post 818511)
hi selig,

don`t know if i understand you correctly. (english is not my 1st language)
maybe you already know this...
i use this function all the time: you sort your tracks in the mixer, rack or sequencer... then select all the tracks and then select "sort selected device groups" from the edit menu or track context

copy from the operation manual: page 292

About the “Sort Selected Device Groups” function
When you are working with Device Groups (see “About Device Groups”), there is a very nice feature which allows you
to visually organize and re-order the Device Groups, Main Mixer channel strips and sequencer tracks. With the “Sort
Selected Device Groups” function on the Edit menu, it’s possible to sort Device Groups and Main Mixer channel strips
according to the current sequencer track order - or vice versa, depending on what’s currently selected. To sort the
Device Groups in the rack, and the channel strips in the Main Mixer, according to the current sequencer track order,
proceed as follows:
1. Select a track in the sequencer Track List rack and choose “Select All” from the Edit menu or track context
menu.
Tracks are marked with darker colors to indicate they’ve been selected.
2. Select “Sort Selected Device Groups” from the Edit menu or track context menu.
Now all Device Groups and channel strips in the Main Mixer will be automatically re-ordered according to the cur-
rent track configuration in the sequencer. The topmost sequencer track will have its associated Device Group
moved to the top in the rack. The remaining Device Groups will be re-ordered according to the remaining track or-
der in the Track List. The Main Mixer channel strips will also be re-ordered according to the sequencer track order.

• If you have devices in several rack columns, the sorting will begin in the leftmost rack column and continue to
the right through the rest of the rack columns. The number of devices in each rack column will not be changed.
• If you select several Device Groups in the rack and choose “Sort Selected Device Groups” from the Edit menu
or device context menu, the tracks in the sequencer and the Main Mixer channel strips will be re-ordered ac-
cording to the current Device Group order in the rack.
• If you select several channel strips in the Main Mixer and choose “Sort Selected Device Groups” from the Edit
menu or channel strip context menu, the Device Groups in the rack and the tracks in the sequencer will be re-
ordered according to the current channel strip order in the Main Mixer.