Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Feature suggestions (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=134212)

Molec 2010-12-13 02:15

Feature suggestions
 
Who's sick of all these "Official this, that and the other" threads especially when none of them are official?

Although it's a nice user attempt to get everything in to one place, it's not worked. There are millions of similar suggestions and most of them aren't worth reading. Also, many of them turn into arguments, which is rather silly in a feature suggestion forum. People should be allowed to suggest anything, without being pounced on.

So how about a complete overhaul of this rather messy area and make it officially led by the Propellerheads?

Here's what I suggest.

Instead of users posting threads as is the current method, we are given a schematic of all the areas of Reason/Record, with subsequent subheadings. All feature suggestions are sent to the Props, who then filter out repeat suggestions and place all fresh ideas neatly in the exact category.

Each licensed account is allowed one vote per suggestion, so the most popular areas of future development are democratically elected. If you don't like a suggestion, rather than ranting on about why you think it's wrong, just don't vote for it....Simple.

It would look something like this (but better):

1. Synthesisers -

Subtractor

Oscillator:
new waveforms (3854 votes)
blah blah blah (274 votes)

Filter
new filter types (536 votes)
blah blah blah (1378 vote)

Envelopes
multi stage envelopes (107 votes)
blah blah blah (311 vote)

Maelstrom:

Same thing

Thor:
some blah and votes
more blah and votes

2. Samplers -

NN19:
Detailed wave editing (49225 votes)
Blah (4638 votes)

NNXT:
Blah
etc

3. etc etc

It would be up to the Propellerheads how this should look as well as how currently unimplemented areas of development would fit into the list (loop machine, midi out, VST etc) but I am sure it can only help grow new ideas as the gaps would become more visible.

And, if people still want to argue about the do's and the dont's, they can do that in the general forum if they have to. zzzzzz

phasys 2010-12-13 02:48

Pointless. Software is not designed by voting. Thank f*** for that.

penguinoid 2010-12-13 03:03

http://myspace.roflposters.com/image...5D.myspace.jpg

Molec 2010-12-13 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasys (Post 823560)
Pointless. Software is not designed by voting. Thank f*** for that.

I disagree with you. Voting is the best way to discover where the users needs really matter.

One vote per suggestion per registered user. This method cannot be cheated. If someone's license changes hands, their votes are automatically deducted so you can't keep voting under the one license merely by transferring ownership.

And it would stop answers like yours, which form the beginning of pointless arguments. This is for feature suggestions and I am suggesting a feature. It is not up to you or any other user to say "no you can't suggest that".

If you don't like someone's feature, you don't vote for it. No arguments are necessary.

BonezMcCoy 2010-12-13 13:14

I think what is being said here is not that you can't suggest that, please suggest away, but it would be pointless to have users vote for suggested features because software is not designed that way. Why vote if the Props are not going to take that into account? We'd end up with something like this if they did:

http://onscreencars.com/wp-content/u.../the-homer.jpg

Another problem is who would come up with the suggestions? Users? Wouldn't a suggested feature already count as a vote, hence barring you from voting on another feature you'd eventually prefer to your own?

Molec 2010-12-13 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinoid (Post 823563)

Sending trance music back in time.....now that would get my vote, though i'd prefer it to go back a few thousand years, way before music scoring, so that nobody unearthed it by accident.

Seriously though, this part of the forum is a mess with hundreds of threads asking for the same thing. The unofficial "Official" threads are just another thread, much as the ones they're trying to depose and are largely ignored by people wishing to repeat a popular suggestion.

I don't blame people for not bothering to search for similar suggestions. They've got so many messages to read for each idea, it's hardly worth bothering with, so to stop people posting altogether seems like a good solution.

Instead, all messages sent to the feature suggestion forum are officially organised by the Propellerheads into one big list which categorises all areas of R/R, so rather than wasting your time regurgitating what someone else has already suggested, you merely search the list and vote.

A properly organised display will go a long way to keeping suggestions original as well as allowing us to see the biggest gaps in the software.

People talk about originality a lot and as far as I know, this has never been attempted for the development of any software and if you give it some proper thought (change is always difficult at the beginning), you will actually see how strong a concept this is.

phasys 2010-12-13 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molec (Post 823651)
And it would stop answers like yours, which form the beginning of pointless arguments.

Nah, that was your post, not mine.

Molec 2010-12-13 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 823652)
I think what is being said here is not that you can't suggest that, please suggest away, but it would be pointless to have users vote for suggested features because software is not designed that way. Why vote if the Props are not going to take that into account?

Isn't it rather pointless to have a continuous flow of similar feature suggestions each and every week? How can anyone see what's most wanted when there is a constant deluge of repetitious threads, each trailing a melange of pro's and anti's?

A positive and a negative vote is all that is necessary.

I think the voted popularity of a suggestion should alter the way software is developed and knowing how popular an idea is, would soon get the developers tackling some of their pet hates. If Midi out kept on scoring the highest votes, they'd be silly not to pay attention.

The VST request will never go away, however, I imagine there is a method of developing a wrapper that allows VST's to be run alongside R/R without the use of a third party host.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 823652)
Another problem is who would come up with the suggestions? Users?

Yes, Features suggestions are submitted electronically as normal, however, the messages are not instantly published as they are now. Instead, the Props take the feature suggestion and add it to the ordered list. Only new suggestions are added.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 823652)
Wouldn't a suggested feature already count as a vote, hence barring you from voting on another feature you'd eventually prefer to your own?

You get one vote per feature. Votes can be changed at any time, however, you cannot vote twice for the same idea unless of course you have two licenses, which in most circumstances is unlikely.

There may be a hundred different feature suggestions for the matrix alone. With each registered license being allowed one vote per suggestion, you would have 100 votes, however, as it's unlikely you want every single feature suggestion, you could vote against a feature.

Molec 2010-12-13 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasys (Post 823661)
Nah, that was your post, not mine.

Exactly.

My suggestion is to think it over again as it's not a bad idea at all.

JiggeryPokery 2010-12-13 14:34

Props do their own thing, they never announce anything in advance, and will never hold public vote. Not gonna happen. It'd be easier to make the "Tea Party" movement call for the re-election of Barack Obama than it would be to get even the person who cleans the Props toilets to talk about what they are currently working, let alone someone like JB. The most you'll get out of him is "some awesome stuff" ;)

I do wish they'd hurry up on a few things, though. The gap between R4 and R5 was way too long, though I can understand that partly from the fact much of that was getting Record developed enough to get market. With both products now updated and stable, I hope development now speeds up somewhat.

As for "official" feature requests, yeah, it's silly (and yeah, I did one!), but there's not a lot of em. I think you're looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. It's not the Props official thread, it's the users: the Users "officially" request this particular feature.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:11.