Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Noise Reduction (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=134363)

2010-12-17 04:14

Noise Reduction

Hello Forum writers, Could someone tell me what I can use to reduce the Noise from my songs after I record from Reason 3.0. Audacity is not just working now.

Benedict 2010-12-17 04:44

This probably belongs in Users or General but here goes:

What kind of noise are you experiencing and where is it coming from in the chain?

If it is guitars or room noise on microphones then use the noise Gate or Expander on the Mixer channels so that the channel is 'muted' when music signal is not present.

If you have solid state noise mixed in with everything, like and air conditioner or your PC fan, then you need a noise removal plug-in in an application like Sound Forge. Even then you are going to do damage to the music as it removes music along with the stuff you don't want. Far better to kill or reduce noise at the source.

:)

2010-12-17 23:45

Thank you Benedict.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict (Post 824654)
This probably belongs in Users or General but here goes:

What kind of noise are you experiencing and where is it coming from in the chain?

If it is guitars or room noise on microphones then use the noise Gate or Expander on the Mixer channels so that the channel is 'muted' when music signal is not present.

If you have solid state noise mixed in with everything, like and air conditioner or your PC fan, then you need a noise removal plug-in in an application like Sound Forge. Even then you are going to do damage to the music as it removes music along with the stuff you don't want. Far better to kill or reduce noise at the source.

The information is good! My noise started when I use a Cad u1 Microphone. Sharp frequencies sounds come through the audio from low to high. Is the Noise Gate and Expander found in my Mixcraft 5 Mixer channels.

I have a Soundforge also and you said the music can also be damage as I remove noise . What do you mean by killing or reducing the noise at its source. Thanks for Replying. Nelson

Benedict 2010-12-21 09:33

Best flow for you is to record your vocal to Record without any processing (well minimal anyway) and then use the Gate/Expander at the top of the Mixer Channel to suit the mix. That is killing noise at it's source.

If that isn't enough then export the vocal line soloed into Soundforge, process and bring back to Record.

Still try to work out why you have too much noise in the mic. Is your gain staging correct: Mic > Pre-Amp > Channel > Masters?

arskinetica 2010-12-21 21:29

What are you using for a mic?

@Benedict. The noise gate works wonders. Wonder why there isn't a noise gate effect in R+R though...

drloop 2010-12-21 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by arskinetica (Post 825963)
What are you using for a mic?

@Benedict. The noise gate works wonders. Wonder why there isn't a noise gate effect in R+R though...

So the gate in the SSL mixer is not a noise gate? ;)

2010-12-22 06:39

Thanks a lot Benedict, you really are giving me good advice. Am going to try these. Thanks

arskinetica 2010-12-22 06:42

It is. I am wondering why there isn't a separate device to use outside of the mixer.

2010-12-22 06:43

@ arskinetica. Iam using a USB Cad U1 intergrated to Mixcraft 5.

arskinetica 2010-12-22 07:00

A friend of mine uses Mixcraft. Want me to ask him about it?