Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Blocks Player Device (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=136193)

DaCapo 2011-02-01 23:01

Blocks Player Device

Hey All,

what do you think about a Blocks Player Device??!

It must work like this:

-You normally programm your Patterns in Blocks Mode.

-You create the Blocks Player Device and assign your Blocks to Notes across the Keyboard (this may can be done by Reason automaticly)

-Now you can "play" your Blocks in the Sequencer.

This MUST Be alot Fun.

Capo

Koshdukai 2011-02-02 11:24

What happens if you add 2, 3, 10 of those "Blocks Player Device" to the rack ?

How would those work ?

and... being a device, it would accept a MIDI track controlling it, correct?

So, how would it work when those tracks were themselves in Blocks ?

Could you please explain how your suggestion would be possible to implement, please ?

wizardry 2011-02-02 12:12

how about able to export are songs/beat as mp3's?

DaCapo 2011-02-02 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koshdukai (Post 838881)
What happens if you add 2, 3, 10 of those "Blocks Player Device" to the rack ?

How would those work ?

and... being a device, it would accept a MIDI track controlling it, correct?

So, how would it work when those tracks were themselves in Blocks ?

Could you please explain how your suggestion would be possible to implement, please ?

Hey,

thanks for your reply.

You are right, it can not work as a device.
I think it can work like this:

1. If you enable blocks mode, the sequencer automaticly comes up with the "Blocks Automation Track"
In this Track you can easily "play and record" your song structur with your midi controller into your squencer.

It can be like:

Block 1 -> Note C2
Block 2- > C#2
Block 3-> D2

What do you think?

Koshdukai 2011-02-02 13:29

Yup, that would work :)

Also, there's really no need for an extra track when we already have the Transport track that does nothing when targeted.

Also, I'm not sure about mapping notes to blocks (although useful, from a user point-of-view), it looks like a more sensible solution (from a technical point-of-view) to have automation lanes, like the pattern based devices have: ReDrum, Matrix, Dr.(Octo)Rex.

And also like those, to have a Remote (the thing that sits between MIDI and Reason/Record) Block Selection controls, both direct 1 to 32 and inc/dec (and delta) selection controls.

DaCapo 2011-02-02 15:05

Hey,

yes thats right.
There also is a block mode track (where u can draw your blocks in) already in the sequencer.
But i dont want to draw my blocks, i wanna play them into the sequencer.

I just wanna control the "Block Mode Track" with my Keyboard or my MPD. Thats all! :-)

selig 2011-02-02 22:02

You are not the first to request this, which is a good sign!

This is more or less the way Studio Vision used to work - with SV you could either use the a-z keys or MIDI notes to trigger sequences (blocks) in real time. You could also type a 'list' offline (without anything playing) to compile your playback track. When using MIDI notes to trigger blocks, of course you just record them in any MIDI track! I've built songs using Octapads to trigger each section, recording the performance to 'arrange' the song.

A while back I seem to remember suggesting an approach (pre 'blocks') that used the 32 pattern approach for song building. Seemed like a logical way to go, building on the existing paradigms rather than creating a totally new concept. Hopefully Blocks can be expanded to include these useful features.

sh49004 2011-02-03 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 839051)
You are not the first to request this, which is a good sign!

And hopefully there will be more that keep asking. I still like the idea that I saw in FL studio that triggers points across the sequencer via midi. I just want a better way to utilize blocks for a better workflow for building loops/tracks and performance. I hate that you have to build a block and can't implement it within the sequencer without the music going dead which is a workflow killer. Whether it's a block player, or reworking of blocks it does not matter it just needs to be a little better thought out.

Like someone said if ableton gets stable and back on top of things then reason is in trouble, but if reason/record implements a few things than they have a good shot at being a solid performance tool. I just don'tknow if I can let go of reaktor

artsandrules 2011-02-24 22:02

Yeah, I totally agree with these ideas. The current Blocks functionality is "basic", to put it politely.

DeCapo and Koshdukai have a good solution. This wouldn't compete with something like Live's session view in terms of scope, but it would add enough of a taste. The ability to "play your song" with free control over timing and order is very inspirational. Sure, it would have uses in a live performance context but equally important in studio use for certain genres of music.

Droog 2011-02-24 23:08

some sort of god like tempo controlling, vector automation device for the rack , which can automate any parameter of the device its attached too, add onto that a polyphonic pattern sequencer , and another panel for triggering or chaining patterns.

job done.