Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does Anybody Out There Care?.. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=137193)

UKBoots 2011-02-27 12:30

Does Anybody Out There Care?..

There has been a disturbing trend on this forum for it to go the way of so many other forums.
Seemingly left to "run wild", it has drifted away from what I felt to be it's primary purpose. Namely to communicate ideas and build a community of fellow Propellerhead's users.

I don't know wether there is any kind of active moderation or to what extent these threads are monitored as there are no obvious details that I could find relating to any policing nor any apparent moderation in force.

It's sad to see more and more abusive style posts appearing and the self-important keyboard-based bullies going unchallenged.*
I stopped visiting this forum a while ago because of a few individuals' poor online manners and came back to see if things had changed..*
I am sad to say that it only appears to have gotten worse.

It is sad to think that the Prop's own customer base may be alienated from what should be the first point of contact for many users by the thoughtless and cowardly actions of a few unchecked egotists. But nevertheless, this is what is happening.

Now I don't advocate the stifling of free speech nor excessive editing, but simple manners and respect are a base for any community if it is to survive as such.

Am I alone in thinking this?.. Do any other members feel disheartened by the unnecessary vitriol that is bounced around these threads?..*

If I am wrong, then I will simply go away and happily frequent the "friendlier" forums of which I am already a more active member. But if, as I suspect other members feel this way also, then maybe it's time to demand some action from the "invisible moderators"

robhornsby 2011-02-27 13:19

most definetly agree my Friend, Rob.

OMOMs 2011-02-27 13:21

indeed so!
I'm on these forums for not even a year, so I don't know how it was before.
I feel many of the posts are, whilst often somewhat entertaining, not really musically or technically educating (in my opinion education is always entertaining).
Of course there are good threads, but you have to go look for them; many of those even drown in insensitive chatter and don't get to be read by many because of that and so the more entertaining and less educating threads get frequented by the people (maybe half of which are actually looking for the education found in the drowned threads).
I find that to be annoying aswell.
Maybe whats needed is actually a prominently advertised FAQ section in the user Forum, and/or a Sub-Forum within the User Forum dedicated to education.
And maybe -since self contained Record Files tend to be Bigger than say 97.7KB, and nowadays with highspeed internet and Terrabytes of server capacity available, uploading larger files is very possible- we could use the possibility, to upload files up to say 100MB.
that would allow for 10.000 Songs to be uploaded, filling only one TB of server space.
That way people could collaborate and demonstrate problems faster within the community, which seems to be kind of close to the P-head philosophy.
anyway this is not the feature suggestions forum, so I'll stop here.
Bottom line is:
I fully agree with your concerns.

3rdFloorSound 2011-02-27 14:28

Wow, I've had the opposite reaction to the user forum side. The general and FSB can get contentious, but if you ignore the people that bother you, they go away. Maybe that's what it is, I just ignore the idiots.

DjStashESA 2011-02-27 15:11

Agree something needs to be done. Poor form this is suppose to be a place on finding information not a zoo...

farmertml 2011-02-27 16:14

On the one hand I definately agree with you, on the other, this tends to be a zoo of people who pirate / illegally download Reason looking for answers. I tend to stick with the Phead forum for any constructive / interesting discussion.

eric 2011-02-27 16:24

I've seen a lot on these forums in the almost 10 years that I'm here. It's a good thing that they are moderated by Propellerheads. :)

Luapy 2011-02-27 19:00

As much as I enjoy Props software. The forums are pretty diabolical.

rogerraa 2011-02-27 19:37

No you are not alone in this.
I've felt the same way for a long time now. I just tend to stay away from these forums now..

Hey, mind PMing me the "other more friendlier" forums you've found?.. =D

EpiGenetik 2011-02-27 22:18

There is much sorrow and upheaval in world just now, this is cause. Some refuse to let go and learn new ideas, and hold on to outdated concept, defend to point of taking up arm.

Learn all you can, listen as much as you can, take in all new concept as you can.

Ignore the idiots to save your sanity, but remember that you can never blame them, you never know where their problems come from, and the horrors they have been exposed to. An example of bullying is good; any bully is themselves the victim of abuse usually from parent or other bully, which explains adequately why they crap pants if someone hit back, it reminds them of the force that abused them, and shock system.

Keyboard based thing is more complex of course, as bully still become bully through abuse, but talk back to is not same as hit back. So wars develop.

If anyone really pisses you off that much, use ignore button, that why it there. I not encouraging ignorance, or at least I hope not, I encouraging circumvention of problem before start.

peace