Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mapping Akai MPK Mini to Reason (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=141893)

boyaka2000 2011-07-12 15:42

Mapping Akai MPK Mini to Reason

Hi. Im new to all this. Just bought Reason/Record duo and am planning to use an Akai MPK mini controller for the time being.

Only thing is only 2 rows of the 4 available rows of drum pads on the MPK Mini are mapped to Kong - is this something I fix in Reason or the MPK editor.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, it probably is!!

Phil513 2011-07-12 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyaka2000 (Post 883592)
Hi. Im new to all this. Just bought Reason/Record duo and am planning to use an Akai MPK mini controller for the time being.

Only thing is only 2 rows of the 4 available rows of drum pads on the MPK Mini are mapped to Kong - is this something I fix in Reason or the MPK editor.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, it probably is!!

Happened to me too, but the buttons at the very top left will "Scroll" the pads up and down the Kong.

I can't remember the names on those buttons at the time, but i'll get back to you.

Its kinda like the octave button for the keyboard.

Phil513 2011-07-12 15:55

OK, the buttons say "PAD BANK 1, and PAD BANK 2"

Try fiddling with those.

boyaka2000 2011-07-12 15:57

Hi guys...

Yes, I get the pad bank thing.... but thats what im saying, across all 4 rows (pad bank 1 and 2) only 2 rows work one from each pad bank.

I guess its GOT to be in the MPK editor somewhere?

Phil513 2011-07-12 15:59

Oh hmmm, that is weird. I'll have to look at that when i get home.

Hopefully someone has some advice.

boyaka2000 2011-07-12 16:03

yeah its dead weird... there's no template in reason for the mpk mini is the issue i think, so ive tried it with the mpk49 template and with the "other" which it advises, and its the same on both... i guess cos its looking for 16 pads not 8 pads with the choice of 2 banks.

2011-07-12 16:46

First, since there's no template for miniMPK in Reason, add it as a generic MIDI controller (instead of Auto-detect Surfaces, go to Add --> Other --> MIDI Control Keyboard --> Find).

Second, go to the MPK editor and make sure the pads' Note# are assigned sequentially starting from C1 (i.e. C1,C#1,D1,etc.) These correspond to the pads of the Kong and also the ReDrum.

Don't worry about the banks, it's just a way to store and quickly switch between two different configurations.

WoodyUK 2011-07-13 01:57

Hi...had the same issue and had a mess around and the below seems to work although I have to warn that I am totally new to this and have no real idea what I'm doing...this was trial and error...

1: In MPK editor select Load Preset.
2: In the explorer box that opens browse to the folder where you installed the editor. On mine it's Program Files (x86)>AkaiPro>MPKminiEditor>Presets
3: You should get four files appearring for different preset configurations. Select Preset1-Chromatic and Open.
4: In the editor select Upload to change the config on the mini itself.

This configuration seems to map the pads on the mini to the Kong pads exactly (Pad Bank 1 = Kong Pads 1-8; PB 2 = Kong Pads 9-16) but what it does for the other keys and knobs, who knows...The keys at least still seem to work Ok if controlling synths etc. so looks like this may be the answer but it's worth playing around with to find out.

Hope this helps

boyaka2000 2011-07-13 10:47

Awesome! Thanks guys, will work it out tonight!

Lateralus 2011-07-15 22:15

WoodyUK has got it bang on to set up the pads for use with Kong. As far as the issue with the pots not working properly, right click on the control you want the mpk pot to control, click on edit remote override mapping, make sure the box for learn from control surface input is checked and turn the pot on the mpk, then click ok, works perfectly for me.
BTW if anyone would like to listen to my attempts at making music, please have a gander at http://soundcloud.com/pato-de-hombre