Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Balance vs Apogee Duet (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=141909)

martyn356 2011-07-12 17:07

Balance vs Apogee Duet

Balance has a tad more flexibility in ins and outs but substantially lower quality DAC. It has ignition key but then I don't want to drag it with me out of essential need (like the USB ignition).

Balance costs a tad more and occupies more of my desk.

Apogee Duet is:
2 in 4 out
24-bit/192kHz recording
2x mic preamp (XLR) with 48V phantom power
2x line/Hi-Z inputs (1/4" jacks)
2x line outputs (unbalanced 1/4" jacks),
1x headphone output (1/4" jack)
USB 2.0 high speed connectivity
OLED display
LED meters display input or output levels
£449

Balance is:
2-in by 2-out audio interface
24-bit ADC/DACs, 44.1 to 96kHz
Two XLR microphone inputs w. 48V phantom power
Two 1/4" guitar inputs with padding
Four 1/4" line inputs (two stereo pairs)
One 1/4” headphone output
Two 1/4" TRS balanced main output
Ignition Key
USB 2.0
comes with essentials but if you have reason and record, this is useless
499 euro which will be about £499

MattiasHG 2011-07-12 17:16

Don't confuse the quality (sound) of the DAC/ADC with the sample rates it's capable of - would you actually us 192kHz? ;) Other things to note is that Balance requires no drivers on Mac, has no software control panel and has all inputs directly in the hardware. Finally, when using Balance with Reason you get access to the Clip Safe feature and the button to call up the floating Recording Meter.

Also keep in mind that if you have Reason, Record or Reason and Record and by Balance, you get Reason 6 upgrade for free.

neoverse 2011-07-12 17:28

I can't imagine a scenario were the average user was doing 192k. Unless you are trying to capture the upper harmonics (which are waaay out of the range of human hearing) and pitch them down into the range of human hearing... even 92k is pushing it. 24/48 for film and video and 24/41 for music is standard.

Bretstradamus 2011-07-12 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattiasHG (Post 883864)
Don't confuse the quality (sound) of the DAC/ADC with the sample rates it's capable of - would you actually us 192kHz? ;) Other things to note is that Balance requires no drivers on Mac, has no software control panel and has all inputs directly in the hardware. Finally, when using Balance with Reason you get access to the Clip Safe feature and the button to call up the floating Recording Meter.

Also keep in mind that if you have Reason, Record or Reason and Record and by Balance, you get Reason 6 upgrade for free.

I think Balance will be a bit less expensive than Duet, am I guessing correctly?

auralnetwork 2011-07-12 17:32

Hey, Mattias, i don't understand the price politics...
For example, if you have just a reason 5 you can get free upgrade to 6 if you buy Balance.
If you have R+R Duo your way is the same.
BUT
R+R duo cost more then just a Reason or Record. What the point?

martyn356 2011-07-12 17:37

Balance will be more expensive that a Duet from seeing current prices.....

There is certainly a valid argument that 96K captures harmonics and sounds that influence the truly audible portion. I've been in studios using 44 and 92 and am pretty sure I hear a difference. I've met people who use 192 and swear that there was a difference but read many that say there isn't.

MattiasHG 2011-07-12 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by auralnetwork (Post 883918)
Hey, Mattias, i don't understand the price politics...
For example, if you have just a reason 5 you can get free upgrade to 6 if you buy Balance.
If you have R+R Duo your way is the same.
BUT
R+R duo cost more then just a Reason or Record. What the point?

Because if you buy Balance, you also buy Balance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyn356 (Post 883927)
Balance will be more expensive that a Duet from seeing current prices.....

There is certainly a valid argument that 96K captures harmonics and sounds that influence the truly audible portion. I've been in studios using 44 and 92 and am pretty sure I hear a difference. I've met people who use 192 and swear that there was a difference but read many that say there isn't.

Those prices may differ from what Balance will cost when in-store. Also, Balance supports 96kHz so that's not an issue then. :)

neoverse 2011-07-12 18:29

yeah, but it's all getting knocked back to 16 bit a anyway.

nites 2011-07-12 20:41

Hopefully Props went all out on the AD/DA and Mic Pre amps. Any word on which converter chips they are using? When you using the line-ins, do you completely bypass the pre-amps? What sort of low latency performance can we expect with low buffer settings?

The lack of Midi I/O is a bummer for me!

neoverse 2011-07-12 21:16

my guess is that the props did not skimp in this department.