Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SSL channel strip as standalone device (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=142144)

Rattmowe 2011-07-13 23:15

SSL channel strip as standalone device

This has probably been mentioned before, but perhaps worth discussing now Reason + Record have been merged.

One of the most prolifically useful elements of Reason has always been the combinator. Being able to combine limitless synth/effect chains into a single, playable instrument is almost unrivalled in any other application.

Since Record, and now in Reason 6, we have the SSL channel strip, a great sound-sclupting tool at our disposal for dynamics and EQ.

The problem I have found is, if for example, I set up a drum kit, I route the kick, snare, hihats, toms, through seperate mix channels on the SSL, EQ and compress/gate each to taste, making use of the character of the SSL channel strip. Now I'm happy with this sound, but I'm now stuck with it in this project, transferring it to another project would be a whole load of messing around.

Hence, when setting up this kind of multi-output instrument, it would be really useful to have access to a standalone rack unit SSL channel strip. Then I could wrap all these things up inside a combinator. Obviously there'd be some messing around rerouting and copying channel settings if i've set it up in the mixer, but it would be there for immediate use in any other project.

Anybody else fancy a standalone SSL channel strip?

LeopoldStotch 2011-07-13 23:26

I had a post last year along these lines. To sum it up:

- SSL strips should be able to be grouped, from 1 to infinity
- These groups should be able to be saved, along with the connected devices. I called these 'sections', as in saving an entire horn section.
- These saved groups / sections should be able to be imported into any project, injecting the connected devices and combinators into the rack and the SSL group / section into the main SSL mixer

The underlying idea is that many of us end up with certain favored configurations of instruments for certain tasks / styles of music. The ability to have a set of different pre-assembled groups / sections in a folder would make starting up songs a lot faster. Right now I have a big template that I preload, but I'd rather load up an empty template with send FX, then be able to quickly drag and drop my favorite sections into the song as needed.

By having the ability to save and load sections of instruments, ssl channels, and groups, it speeds up the process and gets the drudgery out of the way in a matter of seconds.

Rattmowe 2011-07-13 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeopoldStotch (Post 886769)
I had a post last year along these lines. To sum it up:

- SSL strips should be able to be grouped, from 1 to infinity
- These groups should be able to be saved, along with the connected devices. I called these 'sections', as in saving an entire horn section.
- These saved groups / sections should be able to be imported into any project, injecting the connected devices and combinators into the rack and the SSL group / section into the main SSL mixer

The underlying idea is that many of us end up with certain favored configurations of instruments for certain tasks / styles of music. The ability to have a set of different pre-assembled groups / sections in a folder would make starting up songs a lot faster. Right now I have a big template that I preload, but I'd rather load up an empty template with send FX, then be able to quickly drag and drop my favorite sections into the song as needed.

By having the ability to save and load sections of instruments, ssl channels, and groups, it speeds up the process and gets the drudgery out of the way in a matter of seconds.

Exactly, I always used to run into this problem with Cubase, and I'm not sure about other DAW's but I haven't heard of any way of tackling this problem. There are quite a lot of cases, mostly drums, but also other instruments, when you end up with multiple outs, and once you've routed them into multiple mix channels and applied effects you're totally stuck when you want recall in another project. Would be great to see the Propellerheads come up with an innovative solution for this.

(The worst thing, I think, is when you've done all the work, and you realise that it doesn't fit well anyway.. boy that grinds my grits, would be nice to 'audition on the fly' so to speak)