Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transitioning from Dr. Rex to Dr. Octo (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=147223)

POPPRODUCTIONZ 2011-10-03 01:39

Transitioning from Dr. Rex to Dr. Octo

I really love the idea of being able to load 8 loops into one with the new Dr. Octo but I'm really used to being able to control the individual mix with The Dr. Rex loop player in Reason 4. Now I just figured out you can individually adjust the loops within the Dr. Octo but it's not the same as having each loop in it's individual channel to mix. I personally like to add fx and sounds to each loop in a very meticulous manner. So I may load 1 sound per Octo like I the old Dr Rex loop player.

Does anyone else have issues getting used to the Dr. Octo Rex Player?

drdk 2011-10-03 01:48

Hi,

Why not send the individual loops out on separate outputs from the 1 octo - rex and into 8 mix channels?

DK

POPPRODUCTIONZ 2011-10-03 01:52

Hey Dk i'm really fresh to Reason 6 and Octo so that sounds like a great idea, can you break down for me how I can send the loops to the 8 channels? Thank you

P.O.P.

DougMcGee 2011-10-03 03:02

Was going to suggest the same thing drdk did. Also, there's no reason you can't just load one loop into a dr octo and just use it like the old rex player. No need to fill up all 8 banks if you don't want to.

POPPRODUCTIONZ 2011-10-03 03:20

Honestly that's what I was gonna do, because the 8 slots can be very annoying. I know me I don't like a program to beat me so I have to figure it out. I really like the Dr Rex loop player better.

POPPRODUCTIONZ 2011-10-03 03:30

Thanks so much guys I'm just being anal, I can make this very simple like you guys said just use one Octo at a time. Reason 4 was my comfort zone. Reason 6 is amazing I must say so just have to get used to it. Thanks again!

P.O.P.

Jazon 2011-10-03 04:06

I guess the real utility of the octo is that if you had variation loops of the same part that you would not have to duplicate the entire signal chain to keep the sound the same, but like you I'm finding it kind of annoying.

Also as a new user of Octorex (I skipped 5), I have noticed that my loops tend to have more punch and sound a little more "alive". I don't know if this is due to the device itself or the new mixer or what, but I'm digging it.

xmorphicx 2011-10-03 04:09

4 Attachment(s)
POP,

Here is an example of how you could send the outputs of the OctoRex to their own channels on the mixer.

Open a combinator. Create a line mixer. Create an OctoRex and load it with rex files. Open the OctoRex programmer so you can see the sound wave and slices. Click "Slice Edit" mode. Click "Out" on the graphic display of the rex loop (right above the "output" knob). Then draw a straight line across all of the loop slices at the lowest level. (See picture 1)

Click on the next rex loop so it is being shown in the graphic display. Do the same thing but draw the straight line on the next highest level. (See picture 2) Repeat for additional rex loops.

Flip the rack over. Connect 1-2 slice outputs to channel 1 of the mixer. Connect 3-4 to channel 2, etc. (See picture 3) Add effects in between (See the last picture).

You can do all 8 rex slices in one, but you'd have to use the full mixer, or two line mixers, and you also PAN the rex loops when you are in edit mode... this makes them mono of course, but you can then output all 8 rex loops on individual channels.

Hope this helped!

xmorphicx 2011-10-03 04:11

Ugh... the pictures I uploaded showed up very small.. anyone know how to make them bigger? The originals are full screen.

simpic 2011-10-03 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by POPPRODUCTIONZ (Post 934988)
I really love the idea of being able to load 8 loops into one with the new Dr. Octo but I'm really used to being able to control the individual mix with The Dr. Rex loop player in Reason 4. Now I just figured out you can individually adjust the loops within the Dr. Octo but it's not the same as having each loop in it's individual channel to mix. I personally like to add fx and sounds to each loop in a very meticulous manner. So I may load 1 sound per Octo like I the old Dr Rex loop player.

Does anyone else have issues getting used to the Dr. Octo Rex Player?

Hi i understand what your saying, i used reason 5 since it was released and now onto 6 and i never got into it as it is probably intended to be used. I still use it as if it is the original dr rex, its nice to know the option is there though to be used if needs be.