Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Every Time I install the USB drivers for Balance, My computer BSOD's!!! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=147572)

cloudharbormusic 2011-10-06 05:09

Every Time I install the USB drivers for Balance, My computer BSOD's!!!

I did everything right! But as soon as I connect balance via usb, the drivers begin installing and then my computer crashes. It's a brand new Vaio, so its definately not a computer hardware problem.

Jazon 2011-10-06 06:00

If running Windows, did you install the drivers or Essentials before plugging it in? It is not plug & play on Windows. You can install the drivers separately by browsing the essentials disc and finding the install drivers software in there.

Hope that helps, you might have to be more specific to get any kind of usable guidance.

ArcLab 2011-10-08 17:24

I'm having the same issue. Reason Essentials is installed, and I've attempted to install the Balance audio driver separately (it says that it is already up-to-date). Regardless, each time I connect Balance via USB, my system immediately crashes to blue screen referencing balance.sys.

Device Manager isn't showing any obvious driver conflicts, and I've tried disabling my built-in audio drivers, but no luck.

noelinyang 2011-10-08 17:32

there is a conflict either with balance and your laptop soundcard or balance and your laptop video card. BSOD usually means hardware conflict or hardware problem.

Jazon 2011-10-08 18:15

Are you guys using windows? I seen a post somewhere on here about how certain Mac OS weren't compatible with USB 2.0. Although I believe BSOD to be typically a Win problem so maybe not.

Have you tried connecting to different ports? I also know from experience that connecting an audio interface through a hub can cause some weird problems.

Good luck,

J.

ArcLab 2011-10-08 19:03

Hilarious. That actually fixed it. All ports on one side of the machine caused the crash but, inspired by your message (and a growing sense of desperation), I tried connecting on the other side. It seems to work fine.

There's four hours of my life I'll never get back, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Thanks for the tip!

DuncThePunk 2011-10-12 16:16

I am also having this problem, but the solution here did not work. I have a very new Vaio laptop (i7, 4gb ram) that has only USB 3.0 ports. As described below it seems that USB 3.0 ports may not be compatible?!?

http://www.propellerheads.se/support...,664&ArtID=664

I am tempted to get a usb 2.0 express card but I do not know whether this will be enough to bus-power the balance?

OR does anyone else know why this may be happening. It seems to blue screen when windows is detecting/installing the interface once it has been connected.

jengstrom 2011-10-12 16:30

Strangely, noone here seems to have noticed this thread, and no bug case has been submitted.

There is a issue at the moment with connecting Balance to USB3 ports.
We would like to solve that, but I am not sure when it will be ready.
For now, you need to use a USB 2.0 port, as mentioned in the system requirements.

The fact that the result was a BSOD type crash is a serious bug.
When connected to a USB3 port, currently Balance is supposed to trigger an error message from Windows.

jengstrom 2011-10-12 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncThePunk (Post 942993)
tempted to get a usb 2.0 express card but I do not know whether this will be enough to bus-power the balance?

I have used Balance bus powered via a laptop PC Card USB 2.0 adapter, so that should be fine.

DuncThePunk 2011-10-12 17:01

Hi there, thank you for your speedy reply. I will buy an express card tonight at my local store and try it out.

I will let you guys know what the outcome is.

Was is an Express Card you tried it out with? or Card bus (the older version)