Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help recording drum machine (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=148389)

dncnbwrs 2011-10-16 15:17

Help recording drum machine

Hey,
I'm having some trouble getting the tempo on my drum machine (Alesis SR-18 connected through an alesis i02) to match with the tempo of Record.
I have no problem recording it, all the sound comes through fine, it's just when I record a pattern from the drum machine and try to make it into a loop in Record, the tempos are off and the lines in Record sequencer won't match the drum hits.
For example, I set the drum machine tempo to 115 and then set Record's tempo at 115, then I record the pattern and make sure the clip starts at the beginning of the block in the sequencer, then try to make a 4 bar loop, but the tempos don't match.
I have tried disabling stretch and tried to set a different tempo on both the software and hardware, but nothing works.
I'm really confused, because I'm positive I've managed before, but have no idea why it's not working now.
Any help or suggestions would be much awesomeness!

Thank you!

emotica 2011-10-16 15:25

Might be different sample rates for your recording and the one set in Record's preferences.

dncnbwrs 2011-10-16 15:29

Thanks for the quick reply!
Could go a little more into detail about what you mean and how I might correct this? I'm still kinda new to Record.
Thanks again.

emotica 2011-10-16 15:32

As far as I understand it, if you record something at a lower / higher sample rate than your playback sample rate is set, you are going to have timing issue and since you gave a lot of information about what you already tried, this could be causing the problem.

For example, if you record at 48 KHz and your playback is at 44.1 KHz.

dncnbwrs 2011-10-17 14:47

Thank you for the information and advice. I changed the sample rate in Record from 44.1 to 48KHz and everything works perfectly now!
Thank you so much for your help and speedy responses.
:)

emotica 2011-10-17 15:24

Glad I could be of help and you got that working. :)

Luapy 2011-10-17 16:16

For future reference.. You'd also make life easier for yourself if you synced Reason to your drum machine with Midi clock.
Normally i'd do it the other way around, IE, sync everything to the DAW, but of course Reason doesn't do midi out, even for sync.

BonezMcCoy 2011-10-17 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luapy (Post 946044)
For future reference.. You'd also make life easier for yourself if you synced Reason to your drum machine with Midi clock.
Normally i'd do it the other way around, IE, sync everything to the DAW, but of course Reason doesn't do midi out, even for sync.

That's right, but you'll have to disable sync to enable recording. The transport buttons are disabled while in MIDI clock slave mode.

selig 2011-10-17 16:45

That's weird about the sample rate - shouldn't matter in this case if I'm understanding the situation correctly. What you record should ALWAYS play back fine unless you change the tempo.

@ emotica: what do you mean by the difference of a "record" sample rate and a "playback" sample rate? Do you mean the difference between the sample rate when creating a new song vs changing the sample rate later and recording? If what you say is true, you could never change the sample rate without the tempo changing! Otherwise, what are you saying is the relationship between tempo and sample rate?

@dncnbwrs: the sample rate you choose should make no difference with regards to how accurate the tempo is.

HOWEVER:
One thing to know about drum machines is to never record the first bar of the pattern because it is usually not 'stabilized' yet. This is more true when the drum machine is synced, but would explain what you're seeing. So if you line up the first beat of the drum machine recording with the first bar, you won't likely get good sync since the first hit from a drum machine is often slightly late (from experience). This sounds like what is happening to you in this situation.

The way I would approach this is to record a few bars of each pattern and create a clip from the middle bar and loop that. Then build the track in Reason using the clips you have recorded. :-)

emotica 2011-10-17 17:12

I wasn't 100% sure, but as far as I understand this has been an issue I came across a few times when reading the forums. I don't really do recordings and I'm always at 44.1, so the only time when I experienced this, was with samples that had a different sample rate to my project settings and I was thinking that maybe he could set up his interface to record (by default) at another sample rate than what is set inside Record. Could be totally absurd though since there shouldn't be a difference and everything should be locked to what is set in the preferences. :)