Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Modular CV System Concept (Device) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=148519)

DarwinBird 2011-10-18 15:20

Modular CV System Concept (Device)

So, I have been using Reason for quite a while now, and have all but mastered the usage of CV in designing instruments. At this point I have reached some limitations that the program has when it comes to instrument design (through combinators of course). Now obviously all development software has limitations, but the design of Reason and it's possession of a universal information carrier (CV) gives it infinite versatility, however some of the mechanisms to control that information is lacking. Even when using multiple combinators and the Thor as CV control hubs, there are some critical things that I cannot do in terms of automatic systems, integrated control, and automation.
I have come up with a full concept that can change all this, and give the user complete control over instrument design, control, and even live performance. In fact, due to the nature of the program, it would likely make Reason the prime program to use for live performance as well as instrument design and customization.
In summary, the concept is a modular self contained device (like a combinator or channel fx). The device has a series of mechanisms rotaries, sliders, switches, toggles, 2D controllers (like a format filter) and modifiers such like ratio merging, advanced LFO, note carrier, amp to CV, (among quite a few others). It would also have programming boxes that allow synchronization and CV output zone isolation. (these boxes have control features that the combinator or thor do not possess, and are impossible to do with wiring).
The best part of it all, is it is modular, so the user creates, places, wires, and programs these sub-devices inside the the main controller. They can make simple CV processors, or mega complex controllers that can control an entire song. With enough MIDI devices, you could have more control during performance than any modern software or hardware can give. It would give instrument designs the ultimate edge by allowing effects and parameters to change automatically, simultaneously, or with the midi key (not excluding all of those things at the same time). It's relatively simple, completely customizable, and fully integrable, making it likely one of the most powerful tool in the program.

I'm not one of those people going "herp derp, u maake dis fur mi," I actually have a "this is how it works and how it's made," put together.

SO... unfortunately the idea kinda requires a visual diagram and little arrows pointing to stuff with all sorts of words. I sketched a little bit of it out, but I will have to digitally draw up a rough design of the modules and how they work (which I already have in my head and written on paper).
I kinda wanted to make sure the dev team was interested before spending over 9000 hours in ms paint. Either reply to this thread or email me at chain_algorithm@yahoo.com if you want the schematics.

Thanks for reading and I hope you are interested in hearing the full concept!
-Chain Algorithm

howseanrolls 2011-10-18 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarwinBird (Post 946657)
So, I have been using Reason for quite a while now, and have all but mastered the usage of CV in designing instruments. At this point I have reached some limitations that the program has when it comes to instrument design (through combinators of course). Now obviously all development software has limitations, but the design of Reason and it's possession of a universal information carrier (CV) gives it infinite versatility, however some of the mechanisms to control that information is lacking. Even when using multiple combinators and the Thor as CV control hubs, there are some critical things that I cannot do in terms of automatic systems, integrated control, and automation.
I have come up with a full concept that can change all this, and give the user complete control over instrument design, control, and even live performance. In fact, due to the nature of the program, it would likely make Reason the prime program to use for live performance as well as instrument design and customization.
In summary, the concept is a modular self contained device (like a combinator or channel fx). The device has a series of mechanisms rotaries, sliders, switches, toggles, 2D controllers (like a format filter) and modifiers such like ratio merging, advanced LFO, note carrier, amp to CV, (among quite a few others). It would also have programming boxes that allow synchronization and CV output zone isolation. (these boxes have control features that the combinator or thor do not possess, and are impossible to do with wiring).
The best part of it all, is it is modular, so the user creates, places, wires, and programs these sub-devices inside the the main controller. They can make simple CV processors, or mega complex controllers that can control an entire song. With enough MIDI devices, you could have more control during performance than any modern software or hardware can give. It would give instrument designs the ultimate edge by allowing effects and parameters to change automatically, simultaneously, or with the midi key (not excluding all of those things at the same time). It's relatively simple, completely customizable, and fully integrable, making it likely one of the most powerful tool in the program.

I'm not one of those people going "herp derp, u maake dis fur mi," I actually have a "this is how it works and how it's made," put together.

SO... unfortunately the idea kinda requires a visual diagram and little arrows pointing to stuff with all sorts of words. I sketched a little bit of it out, but I will have to digitally draw up a rough design of the modules and how they work (which I already have in my head and written on paper).
I kinda wanted to make sure the dev team was interested before spending over 9000 hours in ms paint. Either reply to this thread or email me at chain_algorithm@yahoo.com if you want the schematics.

Thanks for reading and I hope you are interested in hearing the full concept!
-Chain Algorithm

I would have no way to use this, but it sounds like you should apply for one of Propellerheads' recent job openings.
HOLY COW

Grottoman 2011-10-18 21:32

Well, good luck to you. I hope they contact you.

selig 2011-10-18 21:51

This concept has been mentioned many times here, including my version called the ReRack:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture9-1.png

While I didn't show the CV modules (details, details), CVs are one of the features I included in my suggestion. I've also included a two-slot version (like the API racks) for those who only want an LFO or two.

I won't go into the details, but it's similar to your general description above. And there are others - check out the Master of Mockups thread here:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=139848

A picture is worth a thousand words when you're making a feature suggestion, IMO.

Put yourself in their place - they've already seen these types of ideas, and if they're interested they have probably already begun development on it. In which case, a basic outline like yours (and mine) is probably not going to attract much attention. ;-)

These guys are pros at this - if they're going this route there's probably not much someone like me or you can add to the equation. I would think that this forum mainly gives them an idea of what is popular, and very little of the details that are presented here probably have any meaning for them.

There are two basic ways to present suggestions, one is to suggest what you want to do, another is to suggest the specific way to do what you want. The former is probably more useful to them than the latter, IMHO (Putting myself in their place). :-)

DarwinBird 2011-10-19 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 946906)
This concept has been mentioned many times here, including my version called the ReRack:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture9-1.png

While I didn't show the CV modules (details, details), CVs are one of the features I included in my suggestion. I've also included a two-slot version (like the API racks) for those who only want an LFO or two.

I won't go into the details, but it's similar to your general description above. And there are others - check out the Master of Mockups thread here:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=139848

oh there's already a thread? i might make make a mockup and diagram anyway