Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Solid State Hard Drive Configuration?? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=150166)

rattley 2011-11-14 22:10

Solid State Hard Drive Configuration??

Hello,

I just built a new computer with an 8 core processor, 64Gigs RAM, 1TB hard disk drive and a 120Gig Solid State hard drive. I'm just starting to install my favorite programs and this machine is FAST!! The solid state drive isn't that big so I am installing most general programs, music, vids, ect to the spinning hard drive. Of course Windows 7 is installed on the solid state drive. I have told Windows to store all Temp and Internet files on the 1TB drive to keep the ssd uncluttered.

Now............about installing my music programs. I plan on installing my favorites. Fruity Loops 10, Sony ACID7, Komplete 8 and of course Reason 6. I want performance for these programs but some of the sample/sounds libraries are HUGE. If the programs are installed on the ssd can I store these sound libraries on the other hard disk. I believe all these programs have options for library storage. I need to know the best way to install these programs to get the speed and best performance from the new ssd.
Thanks. -charley

SteveDiverse 2011-11-14 22:27

I'm no expert on building computers, but one thing to keep in mind is that when you open a program is it loaded into RAM. What you get by installing on the SSD is fast load time into RAM because you don't have to wait as long for spinning disk.

The speed advantage in installing on the SSD vs the spinning drive is access time to load the program into RAM and any programs that load only a core component at startup and go back to disk to load features as they are accessed/needed.

You can have all of your sounds outside of Reason. I have two hard drives on my computer and all of my software is on C and my files (including reason songs, patches, refills) are on D. I just put the D:\reason file in favorites. I did not copy the reason soundbanks out of the reason install folder to D:\ but I don't see why that couldn't be done.

i think you'd actually want windows temp going to SSD, especially your virtual memory so that if/when the application has to page to disk, it's paging to the SSD, not the spinning drive.

bigant 2011-11-14 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rattley (Post 961730)
Hello,

I just built a new computer with an 8 core processor, 64Gigs RAM, 1TB hard disk drive and a 120Gig Solid State hard drive. I'm just starting to install my favorite programs and this machine is FAST!! The solid state drive isn't that big so I am installing most general programs, music, vids, ect to the spinning hard drive. Of course Windows 7 is installed on the solid state drive. I have told Windows to store all Temp and Internet files on the 1TB drive to keep the ssd uncluttered.

Now............about installing my music programs. I plan on installing my favorites. Fruity Loops 10, Sony ACID7, Komplete 8 and of course Reason 6. I want performance for these programs but some of the sample/sounds libraries are HUGE. If the programs are installed on the ssd can I store these sound libraries on the other hard disk. I believe all these programs have options for library storage. I need to know the best way to install these programs to get the speed and best performance from the new ssd.
Thanks. -charley

Just wondering what kind of motherboard and processors are you using to get 64gb ram?

hackery 2011-11-14 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigant (Post 961740)
Just wondering what kind of motherboard and processors are you using to get 64gb ram?

Any of these for example http://www.supermicro.nl/products/nf...orkstation.cfm

bigant 2011-11-14 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackery (Post 961754)

Those are servers most likely.

n0ahg 2011-11-14 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigant (Post 961766)
Those are servers most likely.

It actually says they are workstation motherboards!

Now Sandy Bridge-E is out... drool

bigant 2011-11-15 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ahg (Post 961771)
It actually says they are workstation motherboards!

Now Sandy Bridge-E is out... drool

Man i bet they cost about 5 to $6000 too.

Sandy Bridge does look good. I thought they weren't coming out till next year that's why i was waiting to upgrade.