Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Group Mute / Solo / Effects Switches? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=151605)

PumiceT 2011-12-14 17:54

Group Mute / Solo / Effects Switches?

I really only want to group some mute switches, but the problem has me wondering about other switches as well.

Can one (mute) switch be used to control several (mute) switches?

I would like to be able to press one button on a MIDI control surface to mute several channels at once (without having to make a mix channel). I thought I could perhaps assign a MIDI button to several buttons, but one can't override the conflict, so that didn't work.

Reason1O1 2011-12-14 19:02

You want to create a mute group, but don't want to create extra devices? That's gonna be pretty difficult.

My simple suggestion would be to create a 14:2 mixer and then put all the instruments you want to mute going into channels on this mixer. Assign the button on your Midi Controller to the Master Fader on the mixer so it goes from 0 to 100 (if you can do this in your controller). Done.

If you can't do that on your controller, then you can still put the mixer inside a Combinator and assign the master fader to a Combinator button in the programmer, then assign that Combinator button to your MIDI controller. Done.

PumiceT 2011-12-14 20:02

Thanks! I never knew you could assign a binary button to a fader. The only problem is that 100% on is +8.06 dB, not 0 dB. Any way to make it jump between -inf dB and 0 dB?

Either way, that's pretty nice! An issue I had with using the mute button on the Vox mix track was that it would still duck other tracks. So this may end up being better than controlling the mute switch!

Reason1O1 2011-12-14 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumiceT (Post 973118)
Thanks! I never knew you could assign a binary button to a fader. The only problem is that 100% on is +8.06 dB, not 0 dB. Any way to make it jump between -inf dB and 0 dB?

Either way, that's pretty nice! An issue I had with using the mute button on the Vox mix track was that it would still duck other tracks. So this may end up being better than controlling the mute switch!

Yes you absolutely can assign a fader to a binary button.

As for the mixer issue, I was describing the 14:2 Mixer in Reason, which is MIDI-based. So the faders go from 0 MIDI to 127 MIDI, not dB. When you program this in the Combinator, you set up the button to have a min / max value of 0 / 100 MIDI -- this acts exactly as if it were a mute button for the whole Mixer.

The SSL Mixer is a different story, and you could automate the master fader in an automation lane in the sequencer, but unless you want to mute ALL tracks in your song file at once, this really isn't the way to go.

PumiceT 2011-12-14 20:42

Gotcha. But I spoke too soon. The ducking is still happening regardless of the level of the mix channel. I think I may have done something wrong.

Reason1O1 2011-12-14 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumiceT (Post 973149)
Gotcha. But I spoke too soon. The ducking is still happening regardless of the level of the mix channel. I think I may have done something wrong.

Forget the mix channels. You have 1 mix channel only. The Combinator is connected to this mix channel. Inside the combinator is the 14:2 mixer. All other devices don't have mix channels. Instead they are connected directly to the channels on this 14:2 mixer.

make sense?

PumiceT 2011-12-14 21:08

Yeah. It makes sense. From a live-recording standpoint, though, I won't have the nice visual of a lit up MUTE button, or even seeing the channel fader all the way down. That would be nice. But I do understand your suggestion.

I suppose this is a side question:
How would I route the wiring in order to have channel 1 not duck channel 2 when channel 1 is muted or faded all the way down?