Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Time stretch/ Pitch Shift algorithm in Samplers (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=152514)

Egoadsr 2012-01-05 16:51

Time stretch/ Pitch Shift algorithm in Samplers

I like the Reason's samplers.

But i think that they really miss an or different options for TimeStretch and/or PitchShift.

Reason 6 had a nice Time stretch system, so i think that it's not too difficult to apply it to the samplers.

Can be implemented as a per sample Time strech/Pitch shift different options.

I admit that if you set an extrem setting, you can obtainn strange results ( but sometimes strange results are really nice ).

Can be used in several ways :

- Assign a sample to keep the sample lenght and change only the pitch.
- Assign the velocity to change the sample lenght without changing the pitch.
- Set a drum sample to an exact lenght without changing the pitch.
- Create some realtime time slow/acceleration effects with envelope, LFO, CV.
And so...

AnthonyMichaelAngelo 2012-01-20 05:20

I dig this effect option. I'm all about effect pedals/devices.

Michael1985 2012-01-20 12:42

I agree, we need the nice time stretch algorithms also in the samplers.

JiggeryPokery 2012-01-20 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoadsr (Post 980795)
I like the Reason's samplers.

But i think that they really miss an or different options for TimeStretch and/or PitchShift.

Reason 6 had a nice Time stretch system, so i think that it's not too difficult to apply it to the samplers.

Can be implemented as a per sample Time strech/Pitch shift different options.

I admit that if you set an extrem setting, you can obtainn strange results ( but sometimes strange results are really nice ).

Can be used in several ways :

- Assign a sample to keep the sample lenght and change only the pitch.
- Assign the velocity to change the sample lenght without changing the pitch.
- Set a drum sample to an exact lenght without changing the pitch.
- Create some realtime time slow/acceleration effects with envelope, LFO, CV.
And so...

Maybe there is room for some of that, although don't over-estimate how much better it could be, because it won't be a massive improvement. Pitch-shifting audio in Reason is really rather awful in most cases for anything more than a couple of semitones. And don't forget Reason doesn't exactly do the time-stretching in real-time (it's real-time changes are a draft mode). It would probably need a whole new sampler to achieve this and quite complex. But it's an interesting idea and not without merit.

In general the current NN-XT algorithms are still too good, likely modelled on 16- or 24- bit samplers. I'd quite like to see an "8-bit" stretch mode, for more Fairlight-esque possibilities.

lofi1990 2012-01-21 08:38

I agree a new sampler could be very interesting, but as far as pitch shifting goes, Neptune and some creative re-sampling (for polyphony) will have to do for now.

I confess that I also really wanted some more "modern" type sampling options in reason for a while now, but I often find cool new ways to process and re-process samples because of the limitations all the time.

Look at it this way, so often we want to bring vintage sounding stuff to a more modern environment - but what about the possibilities of bringing modern type stuff into (I use the term loosely) a "vintage" sampler like nn19? You get the enormous possibilities of the new and all the lovely little quirks of the old.