Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reason Dubstep Producers? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=153075)

Rhypht 2012-01-17 14:02

Reason Dubstep Producers?
 
I have lately really been trying to get going in the Dubstep production world. Right now, I only have Reason 6, and I am finding myself getting stuck and not knowing how to proceed.
I know there are a few Dubstep producers who use Reason for their tracks, but I have not found many in my searching. I was hoping to be able to hear tracks that I know were made in Reason so I can help myself understand how you make Dubstep in Reason. I also wanted to maybe chat with a few producers who use it so I can get a better understanding of how to go about making my own.
There are only a very small handful of Reason Dubstep tutorials on YouTube, all of which I have watched, and there is an even smaller amount that pertain specifically to Reason 6 (I think I found one, and it wasn't a full on Dubstep tutorial, just BoyInABand experimenting with R6 when it first came out).
If anyone can recommend any tuts, producers, or tracks that pertain to Dubstep production in R6, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Mate 2012-01-17 14:15

All my Dubstep tracks were made with Reason 6 only, but you know all I do it's just sudden things, this is my approach in music I never know what I do next, so I can't advise you a particular things except how to twist up some bass lines... if you wanna listen my tracks & want some bass patches out there let me know then...

Anyway this one was a my first Dupstep track:

Loading SoundCloud…


And have a listen my new Dubstep from my signature...

Borderline 2012-01-17 14:21

Most of the kids at my college (MUCH younger than me) are making dubstep.... some of it wafting out of the mastering suite sounds pretty awesome...

If I look around at what they are using its mainly Logic with NI Massive...

I know this doesnt answer your question, and Im not doubting it is all possible in R6.... just pointing out an observation.

Rhypht 2012-01-17 21:35

@Mate: Yeah man your tracks are definitely crisp, I am just trying to get at more modern, heavy Dubstep (think Chrispy, Mizuki's Last Chance, Dorincourt,, modern Nero and Flux Pavillion, etc.)

@Borderline: I know Massive is a popular tool among modern Dubstep producers, and if Reason 6 had VST support then I'd already own it.. I just don't like the idea of going out and buying a new DAW with VST support after buying Reason, I know it's gotta be possible to do well in Reason so that's why I'm on the search for tuts/producers/tracks that use R6 only.

nlduhon 2012-01-18 00:14

http://soundcloud.com/mr_anderson/ey...eat-mikal-dark

That is a clip from the latest track that my colab buddy and I produced with reason 6 only.

I know commix uses reason. Claude von stroke uses reason and I am sure others do as well.

Reason is capable of making any sound any other program can, it just takes some programming. A lot of people think massive is the go-to plug in to make dubstep sounds. It is a great synth, but honestly reason can make the exact same sounds as massive, it just takes some knowledge on modulation. Massive is a great plug in for people who do not exactly know much about modulations using LFO's and such, and it is a great synth to just pick presets from and compose.

Good luck. Practice, don't get too discouraged. Reason is my favorite program and I have used ableton, logic, pro tools, hardware and reason. Amazing program, just like anything else though, it takes practice...

Mate 2012-01-18 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhypht (Post 986578)
@Mate: Yeah man your tracks are definitely crisp, I am just trying to get at more modern, heavy Dubstep (think Chrispy, Mizuki's Last Chance, Dorincourt,, modern Nero and Flux Pavillion, etc.)

Thanks man! Yeah I have quite experimental Dubstep, but I'm very glad with what I have so far... especially with my latest track!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlduhon (Post 986655)
http://soundcloud.com/mr_anderson/ey...eat-mikal-dark

That is a clip from the latest track that my colab buddy and I produced with reason 6 only.

I know commix uses reason. Claude von stroke uses reason and I am sure others do as well.

Reason is capable of making any sound any other program can, it just takes some programming. A lot of people think massive is the go-to plug in to make dubstep sounds. It is a great synth, but honestly reason can make the exact same sounds as massive, it just takes some knowledge on modulation. Massive is a great plug in for people who do not exactly know much about modulations using LFO's and such, and it is a great synth to just pick presets from and compose.

Good luck. Practice, don't get too discouraged. Reason is my favorite program and I have used ableton, logic, pro tools, hardware and reason. Amazing program, just like anything else though, it takes practice...

Totally agree with you, very cool when you can twisted up some sounds you want by yourself, I really don't need ReFill synth patches by now, very like to twisted up my own sounds, so Rhypht if you get how to create patches so you'll be golden then! :)

P.S. nlduhon nice track, melodic & sounds very neat, not that hard, quite a some Liquid or such...

nlduhon 2012-01-18 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mate (Post 986665)
Thanks man! Yeah I have quite experimental Dubstep, but I'm very glad with what I have so far... especially with my latest track!



Totally agree with you, very cool when you can twisted up some sounds you want by yourself, I really don't need ReFill synth patches by now, very like to twisted up my own sounds, so Rhypht if you get how to create patches so you'll be golden then! :)

P.S. nlduhon nice track, melodic & sounds very neat, not that hard, quite a some Liquid or such...

The best thing you can do is start clean. Init your synth patch and create a sound. When people use presets, everyones music starts to sound the same... The best advice for people is to never use loops, pre-recorded audio and presets. Someone who is new to making music, sure it is a good idea to use presets and see how the synth works. When you understand how to use the program, the best thing to do is create every sound. That is the best way to achieve your signature sound. Presets is another reason why I think a lot of dubstep and other sounds of music are all the same...

Rhypht 2012-01-18 05:30

I definitely ALWAYS make my own patches. I guess my problem lies in not knowing exactly how to achieve that filthy synth sound, even though I have many in my head that I know I haven't heard before. I guess sequencing it all would be the next step, but I'm already working to get some fresh ideas down.

djwhizzkidd 2012-01-18 11:58

http://propellerheads.se/substance/a...article=jakwob

djwhizzkidd 2012-01-18 12:03

You can make dubstep using anything. It's all about the effects and the processing.

The reason so many people use Massive is because it's quick. The wavtables are good so you can just select a few of those, stick an LFO on a scream filter and it sounds good already.

Reason takes a bit more time but it has more potential, with the way you can wire things together. So you could have one malestrom going into another malestrom, both being modulated, out into a distortion unit, into a Thor, use it's filters, out into a vocoder etc etc etc.

Making dubstep is a universal thing, it's not like making dubstep in Reason would be inherently different to making it in Cubase.

It's all wavetables, distortion and resampling. Arguably, Reason comes with the best effects when compared to the stock FX in other DAWS. Scream 4 is an amazing tool.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:12.