Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alt Drums Limitless Possibilities (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=153558)

jdavison67 2012-01-26 14:31

Alt Drums Limitless Possibilities

What I would love to see to supplement this awesome set of refills is, more midi files to go with these, based on a wider range of popular drum riffs, or songs. This would also help with the kong drum designer.

For someone like me who is not a drummer, this is an invaluable tool and it transforms what would be a stiff, mechanical, drum track into a living, breathing, performance, which can make or break many songs.

My hat is off to the creators of this set of refills. We are truly blessed to have this in our tool kit.

Thanks to all!

JD

Manslick 2012-01-26 17:53

Info Please?

I'm interested in this.

The Vol III reads like what I'd find useful.

Are there loops? Like straight beats and fills or what?

Thanks

jdavison67 2012-01-27 14:22

Not loops, though you could easily create loops with this, rather, Midi files, that have been programed that use the loaded samples in theNNXTs and all wrapped up in the combinators, so its the best of all worlds.

Think of it this way, sure its nice to have a great .wave of a snare drum, but think, of having an entire kit of great, drums sounds pre-mapped out, and midi files pre-programed with intros, verses, bridges, choruses, and outros, in different styles. ALl you need to do is cut and paste in the order you want.

All this midi programing can also be cut and pasted on different kits, and you can customize the info. with the midi editing tools, to fit your ideas.

This is a huge time saver, and creative godsend.

Also, I imagine you could use this midi data as well with the kong drum designer, if you mapped the pads in a similar way as the Alt drums, are laid out, so another bonus...

Just my opinion...

JD

Geneyus6 2012-01-27 16:02

Seems cool but way overpriced. 3 refills almost cost the same as buying reason itself. That's ridiculous. Why not put them all in one refill and sell it for $100? That'd seem more fair.

Manslick 2012-01-27 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavison67 (Post 992427)
Not loops, though you could easily create loops with this, rather, Midi files, that have been programed that use the loaded samples in theNNXTs and all wrapped up in the combinators, so its the best of all worlds.

Think of it this way, sure its nice to have a great .wave of a snare drum, but think, of having an entire kit of great, drums sounds pre-mapped out, and midi files pre-programed with intros, verses, bridges, choruses, and outros, in different styles. ALl you need to do is cut and paste in the order you want.

All this midi programing can also be cut and pasted on different kits, and you can customize the info. with the midi editing tools, to fit your ideas.

This is a huge time saver, and creative godsend.

Also, I imagine you could use this midi data as well with the kong drum designer, if you mapped the pads in a similar way as the Alt drums, are laid out, so another bonus...

Just my opinion...

JD

I was thinking the same thing about the MIDI. If the patterns are already there for verses, chorus etc., then why couldn’t I just copy those to the device triggering the wave sounds?

Hell, for a hunny, why not?

jdavison67 2012-01-29 02:54

I found some very reasonable midi drum grooves from slamtracks, which work with the alt drums kits too.
I just threw this together, its not a finished song.
Example:
Loading SoundCloud…

JD

Manslick 2012-01-29 13:55

Sounds pretty good. Which kit is that? Has a little too much space, or room sounds for what I need at the moment but I'm looking for a specific sound and groove.

For example in this song I took some acoustic Dr. Rex loops and for the most part used them as is except for some drum processing in Record.

http://soundcloud.com/manslick/walk-...country-mile-9

If you listen, at around 02:23, that funky groove there is what I want but with better fills. I had to edit each fill to keep the variety going.

And, how did you get your SoundCloud player in your post? Thanks

jdavison67 2012-01-29 16:50

yes that is the Gretch Kit, I used the Pork Pie kit originally but felt the Gretch kit sounded trashier...which is what I was shooting for, listen again I uploaded an updated version with the Pork Pie back in...you can pull out the room sound on these, as the Combinator allows you to choose how much room noise you have... They give you dry versions and un effected versions of everything. Heck they even give you the individual samples. The cymbals are worth the price of the kit for me, I spend so much time replacing trashy cymbal sounds with real sounding ones.

JD

selig 2012-01-29 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavison67 (Post 993493)
...you can pull out the room sound on these, as the Combinator allows you to choose how much room noise you have...

Which kits are you using that have an actual control for the Room mics? I've been looking and can't find any of the Combis that have this - what have I missed? :-)

3rdFloorSound 2012-01-29 19:14

There are some GREAT harmonies in that, nice!