Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Snap to note on events for automation please (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=154140)

Anomecron 2012-02-06 23:58

Snap to note on events for automation please

There are times when you just want to have an effect or vector automation for specific note on events - be it an Envelope tweak, filter modulation, insert parameter effect tweak or a tweak of a send etc on a note on basis.
Would it be possible to have an option to snap vector automation events to note on events in the midi note lane as it's rather laborious as it stands doing micro tweaks and edits in a mix where your vector/fx/send/insert/pan/fader/eq automation etc is only needed on specific note on events within the sequence itself.
Particularly handy when doing so on rhythmic tracks also I might add.
Also we should be able to highlight any vector points in an automation lane and be able to use the quantise tool window and apply Regroove templates to vector automation too.
If we also had audio quantise as an option this feature could be added as a snap vector automation to transient tool also.
It would make life a lot easier for some of us ;).

Anomecron 2012-02-08 00:46

Nobody else feels a need for note on and transient automation snapping ? :(

selig 2012-02-08 01:23

I feel the need for a general purpose command that lets you put the cursor anywhere, or select any object in the sequencer, and then use that position as the new start time for any other object(s). This approach is how I'm used to working in Pro Tools for years, where you can align any object to any start point with a single click. You can alternatively align the front, end, or internal sync point to the target for various situations (actually comes in handy more than you may think).

So YES I agree this feature is useful if it's made in a way that it can be used for any/all events/objects in the sequencer. Something as simple as "move to cursor position" would work fine, as you would simply put the cursor on the target object and then move events to the start point.

More useful would be the Magnetic Timeline suggestion, where anytime you move any object in the timeline, it will jump to the closest other object in the timeline (and can be disabled by a modifier key if it's not going where you want). I've used video apps (ScreenFlow for Mac) that have this feature in their timeline, and it's actually quite useful! :-)

Anomecron 2012-02-08 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 998045)
I feel the need for a general purpose command that lets you put the cursor anywhere, or select any object in the sequencer, and then use that position as the new start time for any other object(s). This approach is how I'm used to working in Pro Tools for years, where you can align any object to any start point with a single click. You can alternatively align the front, end, or internal sync point to the target for various situations (actually comes in handy more than you may think).

So YES I agree this feature is useful if it's made in a way that it can be used for any/all events/objects in the sequencer. Something as simple as "move to cursor position" would work fine, as you would simply put the cursor on the target object and then move events to the start point.

More useful would be the Magnetic Timeline suggestion, where anytime you move any object in the timeline, it will jump to the closest other object in the timeline (and can be disabled by a modifier key if it's not going where you want). I've used video apps (ScreenFlow for Mac) that have this feature in their timeline, and it's actually quite useful! :-)

Sounds good - I almost always have as many lanes of vector automation as I do sequencer tracks and quite often a lot more besides. Panning, fader, eq, insert, fx send and all sorts of tweaks in a track. I just would like something that speeds up the production workflow on that front especially when I use a lot of event and note based automations all over the map. Some of the automations are very subtle but much needed on the final product I must confess and they add a lot to the sense of dynamics and movement in a any single composition. For example i will often use the stereo imager for frequency band splitting into several mix channels with different effects based on given frequency ranges within a single sounds spectrum which are then blended back together (another reason why sub-mixed and grouped channels would be great also).
Given, not everybody works in such a manner and I am forever grateful that we can label clips in the sequencer as that tool alone makes my life much easier in general (as the arrangements would get a bit unruly and hard to follow otherwise).
It would be a great workflow enhancer I feel and make a lot of micro editing and tweaks less of a chore to carry out.
Perhaps I need to invest in a secondary DAW to get such features but I'd rather not have to go through the process of relearning another workstation or environment as it's a major workflow killer (even adopting new hardware can have the same effect) but I digress.