Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why is Reason's file browser so abyssmally slow? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=154207)

altron 2012-02-08 15:14

Why is Reason's file browser so abyssmally slow?

Every aspect of Reason screams intuitivity to get started quickly to create music EXCEPT for one thing: The file browser! Since Reason exists it seems this snail has never been improved.

I've just browsed a folder with 464 mixed patches in it and stopped the time: It took 36 seconds before any files appeared in the browser!! 36 freaking seconds that break any sense of creative flow! And this was on a fast local harddisk on a Pentium i7, not on any LANdisk or anything like that! Is there a secret trick that unlocks normal file browsing speed?

Holy cow, dear Props please do us all a favor and improve the file browser (and while you're at it give it better functionality, e.g. tagging like in NI Kore)!

Grumbleweed 2012-02-08 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by altron (Post 998309)
Every aspect of Reason screams intuitivity to get started quickly to create music EXCEPT for one thing: The file browser! Since Reason exists it seems this snail has never been improved.

I've just browsed a folder with 464 mixed patches in it and stopped the time: It took 36 seconds before any files appeared in the browser!! 36 freaking seconds that break any sense of creative flow! And this was on a fast local harddisk on a Pentium i7, not on any LANdisk or anything like that! Is there a secret trick that unlocks normal file browsing speed?

Holy cow, dear Props please do us all a favor and improve the file browser (and while you're at it give it better functionality, e.g. tagging like in NI Kore)!

+1
It appears to be something they can't quite nail - or they just don't give a monkey's hanging parts about it!
If I click on a refill folder I have on my second drive I then go and make a cup of tea so I don't have to watch the ensuing struggle.

Grum.

BeatmakerEI 2012-02-08 17:10

I feel the same way fellas. I use Icedaudio's Audio Finder software, it's an excellent and super fast browser and great at finding what you're looking for! I really shouldn't have to lean on a 3rd party software for browsing but the one in Reason does suck.
With Audio Finder I just drag any wav file, aiff, loop etc. onto the Reason icon and it's in my session. The spot to track in Audio Finder works flawless for Pro Tools and Logic. Why can't Props get it together?
By the way this only works for me cause I have 2 interfaces. One for R6 and the other for all other standalone software utilizing separate drivers.

I think the drag and drop for Windows using Reason allows you to drag onto the sequencer window? Not sure, but for Mac it's onto the icon. They need to address this too.

fizbin 2012-02-09 00:25

The search function is painful too.

Answer: all refills should be *indexed*, which means that searches will mostly be nearly instantaneous.

altron 2012-02-09 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizbin (Post 998529)
The search function is painful too.

Answer: all refills should be *indexed*, which means that searches will mostly be nearly instantaneous.

Exactly! Optimally Reason would generate and maintain a database of all indexed patches (refill or non-refill). I've been using Kore since a long time and miss the comfortable patch management features in Reason.

But even without indexing it's a mystery to me why Reason's file browser is so extremity slow. No other application on my computer (audio or not) has such a slow file management.

prontom 2012-02-14 00:28

yes, very frustrating. i´m planning to buy a ssd harddrive. maybe then goes everything faster. but to be honest, i don´t think so ;/

markbt 2012-02-14 02:11

The "File too large for Autoplay" is annoying as well. I want to be able to override this.

n0ahg 2012-02-14 02:21

Make sure your virus killer on access scan is disabled for your patches directory and if that doesn't fix it start using sub directories. Some broken virus killers scan a whole file when it is read by another app but if the system was scanned and then the virus killer was active for any new writes this shouldn't be needed (always do a weekly scan just in case)

The browser scans within files so you can see what the patches are... this take time

EpiGenetik 2012-02-14 02:21

Join the requestors list on this one :)

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...light=browsing

n0ahg 2012-02-14 02:27

The info doesn't seem to be cached... perhaps that's what the request should be?